Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sergie

New grips - What to chose to combine durability and feel? Anyy recommendations?

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I need to replace my grips asap.

What could you recommend to combine durability and feel?

I am considering Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound Coloured.

I bough win soft grips just 3 months ago and they are just in bits. Appaling quality.

Thank you for your advice.

Serge

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Love my Iomic Sticky 2.3's. Very pricy. After about 40 rounds, they still look and feel new. Got mine on eBay in bilk and from regripit.com.

You'll find lots of love here for Pure grips.

I have the GP multi compund new decade and love them...

Great wear and grip..

I wanted to try the Iomic but could not locate any local and was not comfortable making that investment without seeing them first...

But overall happy with the GP ...

Best of luck..

Kevin

I cannot recommend Pure Grips enough.  First off, I'm a sweater.  I mean big time (family curse).  After hearing about them here (and on the PGA Merchandise show) the company was nice enough to send me a sample pack.  Immediately placed an order for two sets.  I have had zero problems with them slipping, but what baffles me is the durability.  I mean yeah...they say "one year guarantee" but I was leery about that.  Not now.  I hit a lot of balls.  It's nothing for me to hit balls at the range say 4 times a week, not including one league and once or twice on the weekend.  I've had the Pure grips on since early spring and they look like I put them on yesterday.  I'm simply amazed, because I've had others (Winn especially) that showed wear after about 2 weeks.

Before switching to Pure, I was a big NDMC fan (had always been a cord fan).  While I liked the grips, they didn't like me.  Every time I put them on, with as many balls as I hit I would find my hands getting stiff/cramped (yeah not as young as I used to be) afterwards or in the middle of the night.  Absolutely zero problems since switching.

I use the Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound grips as well and I love them. My standards were taped up to oversized and fitted for me (they only had Standard in yellow/black when I went to GG). My grip is lighter than ever and I have much more control over the club, especially in hot, humid and/or wet weather. At least in combination with my FootJoy WeatherSof glove, that is.

i used to use the NDMC also, but i switched to PURE grips and they are awesome.  long lasting, great grip, easy to install.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What style are you looking for? Half Cord like the NDMC? No Cord, full cord, wrap?

I play Black Widow grips on my clubs. I have the Widow Makers (half cord) on my woods, and the Torque (full cord) on my irons. I love the Torque grips, great feel, great grip, and so far very durable. If your looking for Corded grips, I'd definitely recommend the Black Widows.

If your after a more standard style or wrap style, I'd recommend looking into Pure Grips. I've played them in the past, and loved them in the cooler months. However, in the heat of the summer, I did struggle a little with the clubs slipping in my sweaty hands.

I use the Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Compound grips as well and I love them too.  I sweat a lot and they are great for wet conditions.  Also, they are very durable.

PURE Grips!  I play the Pros.  Doesn't mater if it's way hot or way cold, raining or dry, these grips are awesome.  I'm on my second year and have seen no wear at all.  FWIW, I play once a week and practice 2-3 times a week between the range and my home practice area.

yeah, youre really not going to find a longer lasting grip than the PUREs.

I'm not a fan of tacky (i.e puregrip), I regrip myself, and having a large golf store near allowed me to try many different grips. I prefer the velvety feel of lamkins or the GP's overall. I used the black leatherwrap looking GP's for driver and woods, oversized lamkins for irons, and corded multi compound GP's in my wedges (red, white and blue). Lamkins have oversized versions which make it easy to install, I have to build up tape for most other brands... If your up to it, do it yourself and try various brands, have fun with it.

If you're replacing a full set of grips (10-13 grips) price could be an issue.  Check out golfsmith.com to give you an idea of $.  NDMCs are over $9 while Pures are $6.49.  Personally I like Lampkin Perma Wrap ($3.79) because the skin on my hands can't take any type of cord.  But if you want a real bargain right now Golf Smith is selling Black Widow Tour Silks in white for only $.99.  Some kind of manufacturing overrun.  I guess Winn can't put quality into their product because they have such high advertising costs.  Of course supporting Natalie Gulbis isn't all bad.

Check these out.

http://www.stargrip.com/cgi-bin/FamilyOfGrips.exe

These boys are good.

The Lamkin Crossline is a really long-lasting grip that maintains its feel over time.  Affordable too, at about $4/grip.