IGNORED

Cold weather golfing....What's the coldest weather you've ever played in?

migrant6294
Note: This thread is 4137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Perhaps I am getting soft but below about 40 degrees I don't play anymore. I used to play in colder weather but it not very much fun. Good thing is I have many days year round that are warm enough to play.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The coldest weather I've played in was -15 *C (that's about 5 *F) with the wind at 5 to 10 MPH.  It was cold as hell.  This was two years ago in Asia.  Nearly froze my a$$ off.

But in general, when I am at home, I will play as long as the course is open and it is not howling wind.  Heck, when I lived in PA near King of Prussia, I played as long as the courses were open even at dead of winter.  That's where/when I learned this game.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I have a related question.  I live in Florida so I don't get too many really cold days.  I am playing this Sunday and it's supposed to be 29 in the morning and we tee of at 9:30!!!

Anyhow, my question is this - what determines whether or not a course is "healthy" enough to play in cold weather.  Last winter my wife and I spent a long weekend at my family's vacation house a couple of hours away (no, we're not "wealthy, my folks built a small place in the middle of nowhere on the St John's River that we can all use).  There is a small, out of the way golf course that happens to be about 2 blocks from the house, so I brought my clubs to play.  Given that my wife sleeps in and this place is in the sticks, I figured I could get a round in before she even woke up.

So we get out there and it's pretty chilly, I think the morning I planned on playing it was below freezing for 4-5 hours the night before.  I had never played when it was that cold, so I just went over to the course not expecting there to be a problem.  But when I got there, the guy in the clubhouse said the course was closed until the maintenance guy opened it up after the greens unfroze.  He said it would be an hour or so, but it ended up being closer to 3 hours before they let anyone on.

Now, I can see if maybe nicer courses kept people off the course so the greens stayed pristeen, but this was a $20 a round, nothing special place out in the woods basically in a national forest area, 45 minutes from anything resemblling a town.  Yet I hear stories on here about guys playing in freezing conditions, in single digits even???

What gives?  Do some courses just not maintain very well, or is it a different grass or what?

Nike SQ MachSpeed Driver 

Calloway RAZR Fit 3W  

Taylor Made R7 Irons 

White Ice #1 35" 

Mizuno F50 5-7W 

Bushnell Medalist Range Finder 

Originally Posted by dpgator33

I have a related question.  I live in Florida so I don't get too many really cold days.  I am playing this Sunday and it's supposed to be 29 in the morning and we tee of at 9:30!!!

Anyhow, my question is this - what determines whether or not a course is "healthy" enough to play in cold weather.  Last winter my wife and I spent a long weekend at my family's vacation house a couple of hours away (no, we're not "wealthy, my folks built a small place in the middle of nowhere on the St John's River that we can all use).  There is a small, out of the way golf course that happens to be about 2 blocks from the house, so I brought my clubs to play.  Given that my wife sleeps in and this place is in the sticks, I figured I could get a round in before she even woke up.

So we get out there and it's pretty chilly, I think the morning I planned on playing it was below freezing for 4-5 hours the night before.  I had never played when it was that cold, so I just went over to the course not expecting there to be a problem.  But when I got there, the guy in the clubhouse said the course was closed until the maintenance guy opened it up after the greens unfroze.  He said it would be an hour or so, but it ended up being closer to 3 hours before they let anyone on.

Now, I can see if maybe nicer courses kept people off the course so the greens stayed pristeen, but this was a $20 a round, nothing special place out in the woods basically in a national forest area, 45 minutes from anything resemblling a town.  Yet I hear stories on here about guys playing in freezing conditions, in single digits even???

What gives?  Do some courses just not maintain very well, or is it a different grass or what?

It sounds like you're talking about frost.  If the grass is frozen, and you walk on it, the grass just snaps.  So on a green, you'll get brown footprints.

I play in the DC suburbs in MD, and this time of the year we often have to wait until 9 or later to tee off.  It changes every day, sometimes more sometimes less.  Depends on how cold it got and quickly the sun comes up.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I remember playing in Michigan when the temp was in the 30's. Some courses were even open. Don't have to play in that cold anymore (Florida) but it will be in the 50's today and that's damn cold for this area. I will still play.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Well y'all are WAY tougher... or something... dedicated I guess, than I am. Today started at 47 and I hated having to walk the dog. It was low 50s by the time we left for church, and it didn't break 60 until after lunch. At about 1:30 it was up to 63 and I decided I could brave a sojourn to the driving range. It was sorta cold but not too bad. So my answer is... 63. Colder than that and I'll wait for better weather. Good thing I live in Florida.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

I'll play down to 40 degrees.  I can go lower with gloves, but once I loose feeling in my fingers that's it.  I've noticed the courses are pretty empty this time of year.  I like it. It's almost as if I'm on a private course.

I've been playing when it has been around 35-36. No wind is huge so if its super windy it's just too cold. Plus I have been walking which keeps the blood flowing

Over the weekend I played in 41 degree weather with wind gusts to 25. I doubt I'll go much colder than that. It was pretty uncomfortable when the sun got low.

Even with an hour and half frost delay Saturday, we still tee'd off in the low 40s - the 60 degrees we had for the last few holes never felt so good.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

32 and snowing was the coldest. As for keeping the balls warm I use hand warmers in the cooler portion of my bag along with a couple of balls. I use my driver adjustment tool to punch a hole in the ground for the tee.

Underarmor is the best winter sportswear short of Helley Hansen.

I always wear UA Winter Wear turtlenecks under conventional golf shirts.

Awesome stuff.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by tstrike34

Underarmor is the best winter sportswear short of Helley Hansen.

I always wear UA Winter Wear turtlenecks under conventional golf shirts.

Awesome stuff.

My inlaws are all Maryland alums, so I certainly have my reasons for wanting to support UA but their gear is highly overpriced and I personally find that it doesnt perform any better than any of the other base layers on the market.  Ive got Champion, Columbia and UA gear and to me, the Champion performs as well as any of them at a fraction of the cost.

IMO, a lot of time people get caught up in the hype and marketing of UA and forget that theres plenty of other, less expensive options out there that are just as good.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by GaijinGolfer

My inlaws are all Maryland alums, so I certainly have my reasons for wanting to support UA but their gear is highly overpriced and I personally find that it doesnt perform any better than any of the other base layers on the market.  Ive got Champion, Columbia and UA gear and to me, the Champion performs as well as any of them at a fraction of the cost.

IMO, a lot of time people get caught up in the hype and marketing of UA and forget that theres plenty of other, less expensive options out there that are just as good.

I am going to respectfully disagree.

I have tried both Nike and other cold weather gear... UA and Helly Hanson has kept me warm both here in the US and in Norway (I go to visit inlaws every Xmas except this year) better than any other apparel I have worn in extreme cold weather.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

My uncle and I recently went out at 7AM here in Northern California. I guess Im a big wuss because it was 37 degrees when we teed off and I was ready to go home by the 3rd hole. I had no idea what my fingers were doing on the grip the entire front 9. It was so cold I had to hit 4-iron off the tee on a 140 yard ish par 3. I wore my Nike Storm Fit suit and my body was warm no problem. Never thought I would have to invest in all weather golf gloves here in Cali but thats my next golf store purchase.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

My friend and I use to play every New Year's Day when we were younger (which in many cases meant playing in the snow) but now as long as it is above freezing and the course is open I will go out. The courses around here close for 3-4 months over the winter so during that time I go to the range and hit balls from the heated stalls.

As for what to wear, playing hockey on ponds since I was two has provided me with ample experience freezing outdoors and the best thing I have found is long underwear from a work/uniform store that is made for outdoor/all-weather jobs i.e. construction. It is much more reasonably priced than a lot of the "sport" gear and it holds up better IMO. I wear it to play golf starting in October/November when it is pretty cold in the morning when we tee off and it is great. Fits under my pants and any of my golf shirts and I usually do not even need a jacket.

Quote:
saevel25, I have seen underarmor (at Dicks, I think), would you recommend it?  I can't see playing a good game all layered up!

Honestly, if its mid 40's in early spring, which i have played golf in before, i will just wear underarmor under my golf shirt. It really does keep me warm, and doesn't impede my swing at all. I am like you, i can't stand wearing all those layers. Jackets even bother me.

But try different brands, i like underarmor because it works, i own three of them, that will last me years since i only wear them to fall sporting events and chilly golfing weather.

But it does take getting use to, the stuff is form fitting, so don't be worried if its snug.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 4137 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!