IGNORED

Really,....? Bill Haas,...? Hit a coin on a putt,...?

heyscuba
Note: This thread is 4065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by NM Golf

We sell those plastic ball markers at the course where I work for $0.25 each. People buy them all the time, and I have to laugh. Why would anyone fork over a quarter to buy a plastic ball marker. A quarter IS a ball marker! Plus you can actually use the quarter after the round as legal tender. Try paying for something with a plastic ball marker.

Back on topic, I am pretty sure Bill Haas knows what he is doing. He obviously pushed the putt.

I have never seen those cheap little plastic markers for sale. They always give them away, like tees.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We sell those plastic ball markers at the course where I work for $0.25 each. People buy them all the time, and I have to laugh. Why would anyone fork over a quarter to buy a plastic ball marker. A quarter IS a ball marker! Plus you can actually use the quarter after the round as legal tender. Try paying for something with a plastic ball marker.

Back on topic, I am pretty sure Bill Haas knows what he is doing. He obviously pushed the putt.

At the other end of the spectrum is the golfer that spends $50+ on a SC ball marker.

Joe Paradiso

At the other end of the spectrum is the golfer that spends $50+ on a SC ball marker.

I have an SC ball marker that is a divot fixer too. It cost me like 10 bucks. I didnt realize ball markers were that expensive, hope it's made out of platinum or gold.

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

I have an SC ball marker that is a divot fixer too. It cost me like 10 bucks. I didnt realize ball markers were that expensive, hope it's made out of platinum or gold.

Look on eBay, some go for over $200.  SC sells them for around $50, but it's a limited quantity and they usually sell out quickly so then they get sold on eBay for a premium.

I use a coin I picked up while on vacation with my family as my ball marker, it's about the size of a quarter.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by phan52

Quote:

I have never seen those cheap little plastic markers for sale. They always give them away, like tees.

The typical public daily fee course doesn't give away either one.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted by dhanson

i don't know what you mean by "better job" - i've never been able to use the plastic markers effectively. the small plastic nub that is supposed to keep them in one place doesn't penetrate the ground deep enough (or at all sometimes) and could very well blow around the green if a stiff breeze came up. people use coins because they're heavier, easier to find in your pocket/on your hat/on your pitch-mark tool, and have some sort of meaning to a player (lucky, ect).

This is pure nonsense - the only way they'd blow around is if the nub broke off altogether.  The flat plastic ball markers with the plastic nub are by far the best sort of ball marker because they actually sit flatter on the green than any other sort of marker and one can roll a ball over them without disturbing the path of the putt.

Having said that, I don't use them because they are kind of tricky to find in one's pocket and I'd rather not spend an extra 5-10 seconds digging around for it, causing delays and losing focus.

I used to use the ball marker on the back of a glove, which was always handy to reach, small, unobtrusive, and sat pretty flat.  However, as is sometimes the case in this sport, irrational snobbishness has prevailed and mostly done away with them and it's hard to find gloves any more that have markers on them.  I've heard quite a few golfers over the years bash them, including some hotshot young assistant pros and there is no good reason for it - such criticisms make no sense at all, as they are far less obtrusive than a quarter or some larger coin.  Nike still makes a glove with a ball marker and the marker is actually flatter and thinner than the older ones.

Nowadays, I have a magnetic marker holder that I clip on to the brim of my hat and used to use a thin Green Bay Packers marker that came with it; I bought it off eBay for something like $4.  Lately, though, I've been using a polished 1943 penny.  People who don't know anything about coins or military history are always astonished and ask me if it was custom made, not knowing that the shortage on copper during the war to use in brass shell casings resulted in the federal government's decision in 1943 to have pennies be made out of steel.  It's unique and a penny is about the largest coin (U.S. currency at least) that will still sit flat enough not to interfere much with the path of any putt that rolls over it.  My local coins and estate jewelry store had a big tub of them and I bought several as I think they were something like 4 or 5 for a buck.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Originally Posted by Wisguy

This is pure nonsense - the only way they'd blow around is if the nub broke off altogether.  The flat plastic ball markers with the plastic nub are by far the best sort of ball marker because they actually sit flatter on the green than any other sort of marker and one can roll a ball over them without disturbing the path of the putt.

Having said that, I don't use them because they are kind of tricky to find in one's pocket and I'd rather not spend an extra 5-10 seconds digging around for it, causing delays and losing focus.

I used to use the ball marker on the back of a glove, which was always handy to reach, small, unobtrusive, and sat pretty flat.  However, as is sometimes the case in this sport, irrational snobbishness has prevailed and mostly done away with them and it's hard to find gloves any more that have markers on them.  I've heard quite a few golfers over the years bash them, including some hotshot young assistant pros and there is no good reason for it - such criticisms make no sense at all, as they are far less obtrusive than a quarter or some larger coin.  Nike still makes a glove with a ball marker and the marker is actually flatter and thinner than the older ones.

Nowadays, I have a magnetic marker holder that I clip on to the brim of my hat and used to use a thin Green Bay Packers marker that came with it; I bought it off eBay for something like $4.  Lately, though, I've been using a polished 1943 penny.  People who don't know anything about coins or military history are always astonished and ask me if it was custom made, not knowing that the shortage on copper during the war to use in brass shell casings resulted in the federal government's decision in 1943 to have pennies be made out of steel.  It's unique and a penny is about the largest coin (U.S. currency at least) that will still sit flat enough not to interfere much with the path of any putt that rolls over it.  My local coins and estate jewelry store had a big tub of them and I bought several as I think they were something like 4 or 5 for a buck.

Why are you spending so much time worrying about a ball marker sitting flush with the ground? Any kind of decent player won't give a crap if it does sit flush, they would never putt over it. And the ball markers that come on golf gloves rank right up there with iron covers, and ball retrievers on the list of dorky golf gear.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Why are you spending so much time worrying about a ball marker sitting flush with the ground? Any kind of decent player won't give a crap if it does sit flush, they would never putt over it. And the ball markers that come on golf gloves rank right up there with iron covers, and ball retrievers on the list of dorky golf gear.

Yet another fabulously cool golf dude who gets a big thrill out of snobbishly looking down on a practical item but who cannot come up with an intelligent explanation for why they are "dorky."  A decent player would never putt over a ball marker? Why, because if you're a such a tremendously decent player you'll never have a putt go anywhere other than exactly where you want it, break and surface imperfections be damned? Or because you'll never be in a hurry and will always have plenty of time to tell your playing partners to move their marker?

What sort of un-dorky marker do you use NM, a Prince William and Kate Middleton commemorative plate?  A hubcap from a 67 Corvette?  A coaster from your favorite "gentlemen's" club?  A gold doubloon?  Please, us dorks need a really neato guy like you to tell us how to avoid being such losers.

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Yet another fabulously cool golf dude who gets a big thrill out of snobbishly looking down on a practical item but who cannot come up with an intelligent explanation for why they are "dorky."  A decent player would never putt over a ball marker? Why, because if you're a such a tremendously decent player you'll never have a putt go anywhere other than exactly where you want it, break and surface imperfections be damned? Or because you'll never be in a hurry and will always have plenty of time to tell your playing partners to move their marker?  What sort of un-dorky marker do you use NM, a Prince William and Kate Middleton commemorative plate?  A hubcap from a 67 Corvette?  A coaster from your favorite "gentlemen's" club?  A gold doubloon?  Please, us dorks need a really neato guy like you to tell us how to avoid being such losers.

I usually pull out one of my commemorative Tiger Woods Trojan Extra Large and throw that sucker down as a ball market.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Yet another fabulously cool golf dude

Why thank you, you're too kind.

Who cannot come up with an intelligent explanation for why they are "dorky."

Why is anything "dorky"? It's just not what an experienced accomplished golfer uses from my experience. When was the last time you saw some guy on Tour pull the little thing off his glove and use it to mark his ball?

A decent player would never putt over a ball marker? Why, because if you're a such a tremendously decent player you'll never have a putt go anywhere other than exactly where you want it, break and surface imperfections be damned? Or because you'll never be in a hurry and will always have plenty of time to tell your playing partners to move their marker?

No, I have been playing golf for 20 years and I can say for with near certainty I have never putted over a ball marker, even by accident. Its not time consuming to ask someone to move a ball marker, nor would I ever get upset if someone asked me to move it. In fact if I am ever even near someones line I ask them, its basic etiquette.

Quote:

What sort of un-dorky marker do you use NM, a Prince William and Kate Middleton commemorative plate?  A hubcap from a 67 Corvette?  A coaster from your favorite "gentlemen's" club?  A gold doubloon?  Please, us dorks need a really neato guy like you to tell us how to avoid being such losers.

Actually I use this:

Got it free from Matrix Golf Shafts

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I usually pull out one of my commemorative Tiger Woods Trojan Extra Large and throw that sucker down as a ball market.

LOL

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

Personally I've never seen anyone use a "trolley" or a "buggy" either for that matter. And that would be silly for a Tour player to use a pushcart, they have caddies, duh! Lol :-P

Personally I've never seen anyone use a "trolley" or a "buggy" either for that matter. And that would be silly for a Tour player to use a pushcart, they have caddies, duh! Lol

See if you can find some action from the Euro-pro Tour that Sky covers, effectively the 3rd tier of pro golf in England - some of those boys are using trollies - but then I imagine the prize funds aren't all that.

Note: This thread is 4065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!