• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
canadianpro

Ban Metal Spikes on Tour

0   24 votes

  1. 1. Ban metal spikes on the PGA Tour?

    • Yes
      18
    • No
      6

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

53 posts in this topic

After seeing that Lee Janzen was DQ'd for wearing steel spikes in the US Open, I believe it is time for the PGA Tour to ban the use of "nails". Spike marks are basically a thing of the past for most of the golfing population and why should the rule "change" when a PGA Tour event is played? Merion does not allow steel for member play...so why can they use them this week?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Because its a USGA event, and they trump Merion club rules.

I agree thought, just get rid of metal spikes, only a handful of players wear them, they tear up the greens.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

Because its a USGA event, and they trump Merion club rules.

I agree thought, just get rid of metal spikes, only a handful of players wear them, they tear up the greens.

I agree with this. I really do not see the point in metal spikes anymore and I can't even think of a club/course within 100 miles of my home that allows them off the top of my head.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem, such as it is, is solving itself. They're dying out naturally -- none of the younger guys wear them.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

Problem, such as it is, is solving itself. They're dying out naturally -- none of the younger guys wear them.

I heard that you wear them when you mow your yard. For aerification purposes only.

They are dying out naturally. Good point.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Problem, such as it is, is solving itself. They're dying out naturally -- none of the younger guys wear them.

I think I have seen Rory wearing them, but maybe I am wrong.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, pretty sure Rory was wearing steel spikes last year. Don't know about this year, he's usually not on TV. :p
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He's a 50/50. Wears these plastic spikes with a shorter metal tip.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only thing I miss about metal spikes is the sound they made walking across the cart path and the sensation of them entering into a crunchy green. I don't miss the sliding on the concrete when you are in a hurry to get out of the rain and lightning.  The new technology is a lot easier on the greens and for most people, a lot safer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will say that the new AdiZeros **** up a green like nothing I've ever seen before.

Can you see how the soft spikes are on the end of those molded nubs on the forefoot? Well if the green is soft, you sink in all the way to the sole and now the entire spike complex is a 1/4 inch below the surface of the green. If you pivot at all or, God forbid, drag your feet -- it literally takes chunks out. They stopped selling them in our club pro shop because the greenskeeper swore he would head butt any member he saw wearing them. I only wear mine at the course where I'm not a member -- and never if it's been raining.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

I will say that the new AdiZeros **** up a green like nothing I've ever seen before.

Can you see how the soft spikes are on the end of those molded nubs on the forefoot? Well if the green is soft, you sink in all the way to the sole and now the entire spike complex is a 1/4 inch below the surface of the green. If you pivot at all or, God forbid, drag your feet -- it literally takes chunks out. They stopped selling them in our club pro shop because the greenskeeper swore he would head butt any member he saw wearing them. I only wear mine at the course where I'm not a member -- and never if it's been raining.

I am having a vision of the Ferris Bueller movie when he is lip syncing the words to Twist and Shout and then you on the green after you just rolled one in from 15 feet with the greenskeeper making a charge to head butt you.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would watch that movie! If only because it would be the first time I ever made anything from 15 feet.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

I would watch that movie! If only because it would be the first time I ever made anything from 15 feet.

I don't know if you are kidding, but Ferris Bueller is a classic skipping high school movie. "If you have the means, I would highly recommend picking one up."

Now back on topic!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not back on topic yet. I meant the movie where I make the putt and then the greenskeeper comes thundering in and gives me the Glasgow kiss.

If you're implying that I might be the kind of person who hasn't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off at least a dozen times, then we're through my friend.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Stretch

Not back on topic yet. I meant the movie where I make the putt and then the greenskeeper comes thundering in and gives me the Glasgow kiss.

If you're implying that I might be the kind of person who hasn't seen Ferris Bueller's Day Off at least a dozen times, then we're through my friend.

Not at all, especially after hearing that you were the Sausage King of Cape Town.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sausage King?  Is Stretch's nickname "Tripod"?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0