IGNORED

Does the open results give you more confidence in Tiger getting 19 or less?

Jakester23
Note:Β This thread is 3926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

The way I look at tiger now is basically just one of the elite golfers in todays game. Of course I would say top 3 easily but 10 years ago there were the elite golfers and then you had Tiger in his own category... I remember there were times when you could place bets on Tiger Vs the field in certain tournaments. At this point in his career I see him as someone who will still contend for many years to come but I just don't think he'll ever be able to dominate the way he used to.

Agree 100%. Times have changed. Golf is no longer run by Mickelson, Tiger and Vijay. There's no doubt tiger and Mickelson are still outstanding golfers but there are just so many more "superstars" now than there were before.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

• Administrator

I blame his style of play.

He's gotten too conservative in his old age, then when others aren't folding at quite the rate he wants, he can't switch gears and become more aggressive.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I blame his style of play.

He's gotten too conservative in his old age, then when others aren't folding at quite the rate he wants, he can't switch gears and become more aggressive.

Maybe, but there's much more to it than just shot selection. He's still trying some more "daring" shots, he just isn't able to execute. Even on more routine shots he's not executing the way he used to.

Tyler Martin

He has 4 wins and 2 top 10 finishes in majors I don't think it's anything more than the competition is better and much deeper. When he was dominating he could win when he didn't have his A game. That's not the case anymore if he's not on he's not going to win.

Originally Posted by Jakester23

He has 4 wins and 2 top 10 finishes in majors I don't think it's anything more than the competition is better and much deeper. When he was dominating he could win when he didn't have his A game. That's not the case anymore if he's not on he's not going to win.

I think the point is that he hasn't been on his A game in a major in a while.

Tyler Martin

Right and he's still finished in the top 10. How has Rory been doing without his A game.

Top 10 doesn't matter to Tiger. He wants the win. No one remembers second place or 10th place. He clearly doesn't do it for the purse. Rory's not on his A game but he's also going through all this much sooner than Tiger ever did.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by Jakester23

Right and he's still finished in the top 10. How has Rory been doing without his A game.

Last I checked, top 10's aren't going to get him to 19 major wins.

Tyler Martin

no way he wins another major in his late 40s to early 50s.Β  his swing is not made for that age of a person.Β  too much brute strength in his swing.Β  it's not a very flimsy and flexible swing.Β  he uses a lot of torque in his back.Β  that isn't going to fly at that age.Β  take for instance Phil and Vijay.Β  they are able to still compete b/c their swings are very flexible.Β  Tiger better get into yoga soon.Β  i think he has about 10 more good years left to get it done.

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

no way he wins another major in his late 40s to early 50s.Β  his swing is not made for that age of a person.Β  too much brute strength in his swing.Β  it's not a very flimsy and flexible swing.Β  he uses a lot of torque in his back.Β  that isn't going to fly at that age.Β  take for instance Phil and Vijay.Β  they are able to still compete b/c their swings are very flexible.Β  Tiger better get into yoga soon.Β  i think he has about 10 more good years left to get it done.

Tiger is a good enough athlete and has gone through enough swing changes that I'm pretty sure he'll be able to adapt barring a significant back injury.

Tyler Martin

To answer the OP question, it makes me less confident that he will win 19, as does each major he enters without winning. I still think he at least has a reasonable chance, but time is not on his side. Up to and including the 08 US Open, his professional win rate in majors was about 30%. That is simply phenomenal. Through the 2013 Open, it is still right at 21%. Were he to win the PGA, it would be 22% overall, but about 4.5% since the 08 US Open. Of course since the 08 US Open to now, his rate is 0%. Realistically, he has about 10 years, or 41 majors. Anything after that is gravy, just as it was for Jack and Floyd in 86, and almost for Norman and Watson at the Open. Yes, he is a great athlete so he may stay in better shape, but there are great athletes coming along, and some in diapers not identified yet. I doubt that we ever see another Tiger, and this coming from a Nicklaus fan. Tiger has had one of the greatest abilities at every aspect of shotmaking and adapting that has ever been seen. So if he can return to the 22% win factor, he makes 19 pretty easily; 4.5% won't get him there. It doesn't take another Tiger to keep him from the 22%, just a few Bubba's, and an occasional veteran like Phil or Earnie, or one of them with their last hurrah a few years from now. I wish him well.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Bingo! That's basically what I was trying to say. Gotta remind myself to not make posts when I just woke up...

Going back to the OP's question, his performance at the British Open makes me somewhat confident. I think he swung the club very well. His chipping, maybe not so much. And his putting was mediocre considering his past prowess. So his swing is great, it's the rest of the stuff that's giving him fits.

Colin P.

Every time Tiger fails to win a major it makes it less likely he will surpass 18 major wins. Β He is swinging well and has the tools to win another major or two. Β But he just doesn't seem to putt like he used to and the intimidation factor just is not there anymore. Β I also believe the "field" has gotten better over the last few years, probably as a result of Tiger's dominance for such a long time. When you put all that together is seems unlikely Tiger will win 19 majors.

Butch

Originally Posted by Clevelandgolf1

The way I look at tiger now is basically just one of the elite golfers in todays game. Of course I would say top 3 easily but 10 years ago there were the elite golfers and then you had Tiger in his own category.

Originally Posted by David L Yskes

years ago, he was at a level a step or two above everyone else in the PGA.. Β  Now he's just another top 20 player... Β The "field" has gotten better and caught up to him and some has passed him..

Ummm, guys, Tiger went from #50 OWGR to #1 in a little over a year by winning 7 tournaments. Β He is #1 in the World.

And, as to the red text: Β not targeting you specifically, but this opinion has been often repeated on this forum and in the media. Β The "field" is not causing Tiger's scoring average in the majors to increase by 3.5 shots on the weekend relative to his weekday scores in the same event. Β I don't know what specifically is causing it, but it's most likely his head--the pressure is getting to him. Β If he shoots 6 shots better over the weekend (i.e. match his Thursday-Friday scoring) then he wins them all.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note:Β This thread is 3926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!