Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nick1998bunker

Sweat too much

33 posts in this topic

I live in south carolina where it reaches 100 degrees and the humidity adds atleast 10. When I golf or practice i sweat completely through my pants which is embarrasing but also my hands sweat and i feel like im going to throw the club. I wipe of my hands alot, usually cycle through 2 gloves in a round/practice session, play multi compound grips or lampkin cord...i still feel ill slip.

i think that im going to get 2 more gloves to cycle through because if i play after a few hours on the range they are soaked. Does anyone have any idea? I dont really wanna get chalk but if I have to I will. I also clean my grips once a month.

Thanks in advance

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

Originally Posted by nick1998bunker

I live in south carolina where it reaches 100 degrees and the humidity adds atleast 10. When I golf or practice i sweat completely through my pants which is embarrasing but also my hands sweat and i feel like im going to throw the club. I wipe of my hands alot, usually cycle through 2 gloves in a round/practice session, play multi compound grips or lampkin cord...i still feel ill slip.

i think that im going to get 2 more gloves to cycle through because if i play after a few hours on the range they are soaked. Does anyone have any idea? I dont really wanna get chalk but if I have to I will. I also clean my grips once a month.

Thanks in advance

I feel your pain - I am in North FL where the heat index is 109* lately.  I too sweat through cloths and seemingly more that everyone else...it is embarrassing - especially on the tee... However my grip has not been an issue.  I was told by a doc that there is a pill for this problem but they don't doll it out easily (could prob get Oxy easier) due to possible side effects.

Curious though - do you see the sweating subside around the 12th hole?  I seem to dry up about that time...

I will be looking forward to suggestions...

Originally Posted by jbest

I feel your pain - I am in North FL where the heat index is 109* lately.  I too sweat through cloths and seemingly more that everyone else...it is embarrassing - especially on the tee... However my grip has not been an issue.  I was told by a doc that there is a pill for this problem but they don't doll it out easily (could prob get Oxy easier) due to possible side effects.

Curious though - do you see the sweating subside around the 12th hole?  I seem to dry up about that time...

I will be looking forward to suggestions...

I dont see it subsiding much no....but its weird if it below a certain temp i dont sweat at all but as soon as it reaches a certain number it just pours

Wipe down your grips and take off your glove after every shot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by David in FL

Wipe down your grips and take off your glove after every shot.

i take it off but dont wipe down the grip. I think its mainly the glove gets wet cause there is no problem for first 2 holes if i didnt warm up or after the range session

Even on the hottest days here in NY (Oh yea it can get pretty freakin hot up here too) I wear black pants (because I always wear pants) but also black hides things when we sweat like a banshee) and I also take my glove off after every shot.  I bring an extra towel to dry my hands and wipe my face every so often.  It sucks, but I try not to let it bother me.  Also helps when I typically tee off at 7am

Even on the hottest days here in NY (Oh yea it can get pretty freakin hot up here too) I wear black pants (because I always wear pants) but also black hides things when we sweat like a banshee) and I also take my glove off after every shot.  I bring an extra towel to dry my hands and wipe my face every so often.  It sucks, but I try not to let it bother me.  Also helps when I typically tee off at 7am

Unfortunantly being a junior I can only golf in the late afternoon and my dad likes to sleep in on the weekends so I usually can't get out till 12

Not sure about your grip, but I strongly recomend dri fit gear from Nike or any heat gear from under armour. That should help with sweating through your clothes. Just remember not to use fabric softener when washing them or they will lose there sweat wicking capabilities.

You need a pair of rain gloves. That's what we use out here in the middle east on the real humid days. They are designed to be used wet and are awesome in humid conditions.

Originally Posted by Righty to Lefty

You need a pair of rain gloves. That's what we use out here in the middle east on the real humid days. They are designed to be used wet and are awesome in humid conditions.

+1 on this. One of TST members mentioned doing this and it really works.  I sweat a ton and don't usually wear gloves.  But in the summer heat this year, I started just using the left rain glove and it works like a charm. I even wipe the grip with the glove before a shot for my right hand position.  I don't wear the right glove.

One more thing.  This year I have been cleaning my grips with isopropyl alcohol.  It really works great.   The grip tackiness comes right back and it doesn't affect the grip.

I also use rain gloves - and sometimes I'm called "two gloves."

But if they are black rain gloves, they are warm.

For shorts and shirts - wear polyester on the course - dri fit, clima cool, etc. breathable material. Unfortunately, most cotton is too heavy.

I can't exactly picture rain gloves but I will do some research thanks for the advice

I just use regular gloves, but I have about five of them that I rotate through. Also, leave them out to dry between rounds. Even if it's just in your trunk or backseat or something, at least take them out of the bag.

Wear shorts instead of pants - that will make it feel at least 3-5 degrees cooler, at least to your lower body. I remember watching a John Deere Classic some years back during a heatwave. Robert Damron, not one of the more flat-bellied players on tour, was up there on the leaderboard and they kept showing him sweating through his pants. It really looked damn silly, hardly classier than if he had been wearing shorts. The mens' tours should have a shorts-allowed-for-heat-index-above-85-degree-days policy.

Wear shorts instead of pants - that will make it feel at least 3-5 degrees cooler, at least to your lower body. I remember watching a John Deere Classic some years back during a heatwave. Robert Damron, not one of the more flat-bellied players on tour, was up there on the leaderboard and they kept showing him sweating through his pants. It really looked damn silly, hardly classier than if he had been wearing shorts. The mens' tours should have a shorts-allowed-for-heat-index-above-85-degree-days policy.

I used to not have any shorts but I do now and I wear them if there is wind and I'm not doing anything like a tournament or qualifier... Have any of you seem the YouTube comercial with Wagner, leanard and rose? #i like the way the wind tickles my leg hair lol

Wear the lightest clothing you can. I played once last year in July here in Dallas wearing a black shirt. Never again.

I've also found that the wicking poly work better than cotton, even the pima knits. The Ben Hogan shirts at Wal-Mart are very nice and cooling, and a lot less expensive than the regular suspects.

I haven't had to go to two gloves, though I have given it serious consideration.

(Aside: did the title of this thread remind anyone of the Monty Python sketch with Mr Smoke-too-much? Just askin'.)

Sweating is natural, its your bodies function to make you cooler, if not you'd have heat stroke.

So, drink a lot of water when you golf, even if its not hot out. Wear cotton or shirts designed to breath. Wear lighter colors, like white. If your in a cart, you can easily go park under trees, get in the shade, and still not hold up play that long. Even when i am walking, if a tree is with in 10 yards, i will stand under the shade than by my ball.