IGNORED

The Shaving Thread

colin007
Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This stuff, with a good quality brush. I use whatever quality razors that are on sale.

As for ingrowns, I used to get them pretty bad but I don't anymore. Put a piping hot face cloth over your neck before you shave, it opens up your pores and makes the shave smoother and cleaner. Another thing that works well is to take a hot shower and either shave while in the shower or immediately afterwards while your pores are still open.

Electric razors blow.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right now I use the Hydro5 razor and Dove Men+ Care shaving cream. Like EJ, said, it's best to shave when the pores are opened up, so I shave in the shower. I have to be clean shaven for work so I do so every day (except for my two days off).

I used to use the Fusion razor and liked that one as much if not more but I found a good deal on the Hydros and that's why I switched. I'll go back and forth between the two depending on what is cheapest when I need to restock.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Right now I use the Hydro5 razor and Dove Men+ Care shaving cream. Like EJ, said, it's best to shave when the pores are opened up, so I shave in the shower. I have to be clean shaven for work so I do so every day (except for my two days off).

I used to use the Fusion razor and liked that one as much if not more but I found a good deal on the Hydros and that's why I switched. I'll go back and forth between the two depending on what is cheapest when I need to restock.

I also use the Dove Men+ when I can't get the RSC stuff, it's pretty good too.

One thing I'll add regarding @colin007 's ingrowth question is that I used to shave my neck "against the grain" which led to a lot of irritation and ingrown hairs. Now I ALWAYS shave with the grain, it doesn't give as close of a shave but I never get ingrowths anymore and after a couple of hours the "closeness" factor is pretty negligible. YMMV.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I do not use cream anymore. It turns the skin to mush. I use a cheap double edge disposable. They literally last me for months. They had single blades back in the day when I started shaving . . . Schick Injector Cartridges, or something like that, but the twins came into vogue soon thereafter.

Do your face a favor and try a creamless shave coming out of a hot shower! B-)

I've got a Merkur HD safety razor that I've had for I don't know how long.  I use it for shaving my head as well so it gets a lot of use over the course of a week.  I like Feather blades as they're wicked sharp.  I use a badger brush and whatever shaving cream the body shop has for men (changes yearly and it lasts for ages so I don't really pay attention). I also did a brief trial with a straight razor.  Gave an amazing shave but I didn't have the guts to use it on the back of my own head.  They also take quite a bit of extra up-keep which wasn't really worthwhile (at least for me).  Fun experience though!

Thank you! This is what I was looking for. How difficult would you say it is to learn how to use the double edge razor? How much is the risk of cutting yourself?

Colin P.

Thank you! This is what I was looking for.

How difficult would you say it is to learn how to use the double edge razor? How much is the risk of cutting yourself?

It's not difficult at all. The number one rule, well number two actually.  Number one would be: the blade NEVER travels sideways!  The number two rule is: no pressure!  The weight of the safety razor itself provides all the pressure necessary, don't press the blade against your skin.  If you do this you will never suffer razor burn unless you are using a dull blade.  Just get your face nice and hot and hydrated (right out of the shower is my personal preference), apply some nice shaving soap or cream and away you go!

I think the biggest change from a multi-blade cartridge is you won't want to do those big long strokes with the blade.  I like little short overlapping ones.  Tends to mean you only go over a certain area once.  If you hit google or youtube there are hours and hours of videos on wet-shaving.

Regarding ingrown hair: it isn't something I've had to deal with much but it does happen. I honestly don't think the type of razor has much to do with it.  I got them occassionally before I used the safety razor and I get them occassionally now.  One thing I have noticed is they usually occur in the same general location.  Try doing that particular area in a different direction for a while.

Brad

So you have to take shorter strokes, does this mean that you have to rinse the blade each time you take a short stroke? How about going around the edge of the jaw line and chin?

Colin P.

So you have to take shorter strokes, does this mean that you have to rinse the blade each time you take a short stroke? How about going around the edge of the jaw line and chin?

I rinse the head off when its too covered in shave cream.  It takes a lot to clog up the head with hair (assuming you shave regularly anyway), I rarely find a need to rinse the for that.

And as long as you follow the no extra pressure rule there are no issues with the jaw line and chin.  The blade isn't as exposed as you might be thinking.  Take a look at some pictures of safety razors on google and you'll see what I mean.

Brad

I also use the Dove Men+ when I can't get the RSC stuff, it's pretty good too.

One thing I'll add regarding @colin007's ingrowth question is that I used to shave my neck "against the grain" which led to a lot of irritation and ingrown hairs. Now I ALWAYS shave with the grain, it doesn't give as close of a shave but I never get ingrowths anymore and after a couple of hours the "closeness" factor is pretty negligible. YMMV.

I have to shave against the grain otherwise it doesn't get close enough. I'll get an ingrown hair every once in a while, but not really that often. Hot water helps as does applying the cream and letting it soak into the skin for a couple minutes before shaving.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I have to shave against the grain otherwise it doesn't get close enough. I'll get an ingrown hair every once in a while, but not really that often. Hot water helps as does applying the cream and letting it soak into the skin for a couple minutes before shaving.

It also helps to take two passes. First with the grain, then re-lather and go against the grain.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Anyone using shaving oil instead of foam/gel?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Anyone using shaving oil instead of foam/gel?

Yes I have a straight razor and I will mix in oil with the soap at times. Other times i will shave with only the oil. It just depends on how much time I have. The wife loves it for date night.

I've tried every razor available when I started to shave and ended up with a rash. That was 50 years ago.

I have been shaving with Norelco's for the last 40 years, (every day) and never had any skin problems.

I tried Brawn and Remington and all the others and found them useless. I always go back to the Norelco.

My shaves are as close as a blade if I use a pre-shave lotion.

I've tried the electric razor earlier this year and it didn't cut close enough like a regular razor did and I didn't like having to clean it either. Right now, I'm using a Gillette Fusion Proglide and just got the Dove Men+ Care shave gel yesterday to try it out. I used the Aveeno shave gel before, but thought I'd switch it up. I only shave once a week so each Gillette razor lasts me a while

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

The Gilette 5 blade and those similar are a joke. After I got my first DE razor, I've never looked back. Still use an electric most of the time, but if I want the best shave, DE is the way to go. It's even cheaper than the expensive Gilette stuff, easier to use, and gives a better result.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3696 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!