IGNORED

Why it's Called The Open Championship

boogielicious
Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think they're all fair points Turtle, but that needn't detract from the origination of the tournament of course which is where the naming rights has its genesis. The oldest golf course in the world is Musselburgh, but its a nine holer on the middle of a race track. The oldest football team in the world (professional) is Notts County, who play in the bottom tier etc

I think it's equally true to say though that the Masters has looked a little bit ceremonial in its depth during this period too, when the likes of Billy Casper and Gene Sarazen wobble up to the tee. At one level it was a nice touch, but really ......

On a wider point though, I actually wonder if there isn't something else going on though if you roll this forward 20, 30, 40 years etc

The period you're talking about, America had the best players by dint of its population. Golf in Europe was played largely by GB and Ireland (7 times less the population). It was only in the 1970's that the Spanish started to appear, and by the 1980's we started to see a numerical presence of Swedes, albeit they're yet to produce a superstar

If you tried to pick a Ryder Cup team for instance, made up from Continental Europeans, omitting these two countries who have played in it since 1979, you wouldn't be able to. There haven't been enough to make up a 12

It should be a matter of concern for the US in the longer term. Western Europe has a bigger population that the USA, yet the team Europe you think you're playing is really the rump of the old GB & Ireland, with Spain and Sweden added to it.

What i do think we're seeing though is the first shoots that perhaps the game is starting to be played more widely in some of the European sporting powerhouses. At this stage I'd suggest that Italy is doing most, with the French also showing signs of engagement. Germany is the odd one, as they have a corporate culture which should feed recreational golf, but perhaps they don't do the deal making over 18 holes, and concentrate instead on making things that work in factories? Eastern Europe hasn't shown any inclination yet, but there'd be whole new pool of players there too

Either way, if we start to roll this out, we see a picture of decline in the USA coinciding with expansion in Europe. I'd go so far as to suggest that any fifth major (or perhaps sixth) could well be a European Open (which exists of course) or the European PGA being upgraded. I think it's probably a quarter of century off, but I can see scenarios where it might happen.

That's not to say that someone might construct a 'World Open' yet to rotate between global venues?

Personal OT PS:   catch any of the Liverpool-Roma friendly at Fenway Park on TV?  I'm looking forward to the season.  Lots of changes.

Soccer at Fenway? That's pure blasphemy!

John

Yeah they should play soccer at a stadium that isn't a total hellhole

Boo!  Have you been there lately?  It is much nicer.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The same guy (John Henry) owns both the Liverpool FC and the Red Sox.  But I support Liverpool anyway.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The same guy (John Henry) owns both the Liverpool FC and the Red Sox.  But I support Liverpool anyway.

Not to mention that the Fever Pitch movie about the Red Soz was adapted from a book about soccer (Arsenal, I believe).The Sox have ties to soccer!

Not to mention that the Fever Pitch movie about the Red Sox was adapted from a book about soccer (Arsenal, I believe).The Sox have ties to soccer!

And that Jimmy Fallon, the lead in the movie, is actually a Yankee fan!

Fenway was never just a baseball stadium. The Patriots played there for a few years and many other football teams as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Personal OT PS:   catch any of the Liverpool-Roma friendly at Fenway Park on TV?  I'm looking forward to the season.  Lots of changes.

I caught most of it. Usually I don't watch any preseason, but I've been soccer deprived. Interesting how Liverpool will adjust without Suarez. Maybe my Everton will be able to win a Merseyside Derby ;)-[Sorry for the OT)

Riley

Note: This thread is 3562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!