IGNORED

Naturally on plane? I hate thee...

Crim
Note: This thread is 3574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I still consider myself a newbie to golf, but I now understand what it looks like to be on plane and I understand the ball flight laws.

I made a startling discovery. Every single person I golf with naturally swings on plane. From my father in law who's been playing for 30 years, to my good friend who plays MAYBE once a weekend. To my wife who golfed for the 3rd time in her life with me the other day. Every single one of them, have a naturally on plane swing...and make good contact.

I do not, and it's really ****ing up my game. I spend the majority of my practice time trying to get my steep swing more on plane.

Every time I've gotten a golf instructor to look at my swing...they just try to get me on plane. I've had to go back to punch shots around the golf course in order to get a respectable score.

It's not the only thing that's wrong with my game, but I believe it's the most important to get fixed right now. If anyone can help with some tips in order to get the feeling of swinging on plane, I'd appreciate it. I feel like I've heard and seen it all. My brother told me to imagine "delivering the pizza." I have no idea what that means.

I even thought about getting the Medicus driver to see if that would help, but I figured it was just a gimmick.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Keep your right elbow tucked close to your side and you'll keep it more on plane (unless you're falling forward during your downswing :) ).

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• Administrator
I'd wager that they're not as "on plane" as you may think. Plus, if you make contact, you're "on plane" at some point. ;-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd wager that they're not as "on plane" as you may think.

Maybe not, but judging from my video and watching their swings from behind, they definitely look far less steep than i do.

Joel Holden

Can you post a "my swing" video?  There is lots of info, as you know, on here ...

I could be wrong, but I believe most pro's would cause the Medicus to break down ... I had one before ... seemed to help slow me down a bit, but do not feel like it forced me to be on plane ... just my opinion

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Maybe not, but judging from my video and watching their swings from behind, they definitely look far less steep than i do.

I agree with Erik. Film their swings, slow it down, draw some lines. They're probably not as good as you think. Don't think that everyone else is doing some kind of magic move that you're not. We all struggle with one thing or another, even the good players.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Plus, if you make contact, you're "on plane" at some point.

Positive thinking!  I'm on plane every shot!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Can you post a "my swing" video?  There is lots of info, as you know, on here ...

I could be wrong, but I believe most pro's would cause the Medicus to break down ... I had one before ... seemed to help slow me down a bit, but do not feel like it forced me to be on plane ... just my opinion

I got some good feedback from mvmac and abu in the My swing thread

http://thesandtrap.com/t/70158/my-swing-crim/36#post_1022893

I just can't seem to apply it. I practice a lot (well compared to most weekend golfers I think), and I can hit good 1/4 and sometimes 1/2 swing shots right now.

Once I hit 3/4 or full swing though, forget it.

Joel Holden

I even thought about getting the Medicus driver to see if that would help, but I figured it was just a gimmick.

None of the multiple things wrong with my swings cause a Medicus to hinge (ever) so it did me no good at all.

It did seem to help my son some because it was hinging all over the place when he first tried it.

From what I see some swing flaws cause it to hinge and other swing flaws don't. I wouldn't say it's a gimmick but it may or may not help you any.

[QUOTE name="isukgolf" url="/t/75992/naturally-on-plane-i-hate-thee#post_1024819"]   Can you post a "my swing" video?  There is lots of info, as you know, on here ... I could be wrong, but I believe most pro's would cause the Medicus to break down ... I had one before ... seemed to help slow me down a bit, but do not feel like it forced me to be on plane ... just my opinion  [/QUOTE] I got some good feedback from mvmac and abu in the My swing thread [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/70158/my-swing-crim/36#post_1022893]http://thesandtrap.com/t/70158/my-swing-crim/36#post_1022893[/URL]  I just can't seem to apply it. I practice a lot (well compared to most weekend golfers I think), and I can hit good 1/4 and sometimes 1/2 swing shots right now. Once I hit 3/4 or full swing though, forget it.

Keep hitting 1/4 and 1/2 swing shots then. At least while you practice. Get a net and hit/video every day. It may take awhile, but you will see progress.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 3574 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!