IGNORED

Being Fit for an Edel Putter

Note:Β This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Ummmm..... You do realize that thread you just linked is the exact same thread we are currently posting in, right????

Dang, you beat me to it!

I just sent a request to Urban Golf Performance.Β  We'll see what they say.

In My Grom:
Driver: Taylormade R1 10.5Β°
Fairway: Taylormade RocketBallz Stage 2 Tour 14.5Β°
Hybrids: Ping G25 3, 4
Irons: Mizuno 5-PW JPX 800 Pro

Wedges: CG-14 50Β°, 56Β°, 60Β°

Putter: Nike Method 003

I got an email back from Matt Mora at UGP.Β  He indicated that they do putter fitting with the SAM Putt Lab.Β  He says that they are waiting for the updated Edel fitting system for the new Torque balanced putters, and that it will not be available until April.Β  It sounds like they do more of a generic fitting, and deal in several brands of boutique putters (Edel, Cameron, Peretti, Giannini) rather than doing the specific Edel fitting that Erik describes above.

Would this be a good way to get into an Edel putter?Β  I am thinking that I would still like to find someone that does the fitting per the Edel methods.

@Big C - Did you ever hear back from Brent Mann?

In My Grom:

• 1 month later...
@socalsharky -- did you ever end up going to these guys? Alternately, @Big C -- did you ever hear back from Brett Mann? I've been cycling a few putters (out of those I already own) lately, liking each one for different reasons (Mantis for this reason, Cleveland for that, Ping for this other thing, etc), and I think it's about time I get fit for an Edel and put this "which putter do I use?" question to rest permanent-like. Or maybe I can be the guinea pig for finding out how Urban Golf's measurement for Edel putters goes. Of course, if they're one of the "try eight combinations, that's close enough" shops, I'll be sorely disappointed.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@socalsharky -- did you ever end up going to these guys?

No I did not.Β  They seemed like they were not too dedicated to the Edel fitting program.Β  I was hoping that @Big C le to track down Brett Mann.Β  I guess Golf Galaxy in San Diego is an Edel fitter, but a big box store does not inspire confidence for a service like this.Β  Who knows?

In My Grom:

No idea either. :-( The good news is that the Urban Golf is much closer to me than it is to you -- I pass it once or twice a week. So maybe I can drop by there and see what's up. The other thing is that a friend I haven't seen in a few months (who, sadly, doesn't play golf) lives near the Golf Galaxy in SD. So when I see him next, I'll drop by there and find out. I'll report back when I know. I'm guessing maybe it will be closer to May when this happens.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

• Administrator

It may be worth waiting until May. The Torque Balanced putters are going to be out around then.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

It may be worth waiting until May. The Torque Balanced putters are going to be out around then.

How are the Torque Balanced putters different from the Edel putters that have been out?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:Β  :leupold:Β  :aimpoint:Β :gamegolf:

Brent Mann did not return my calls. There was another gentleman in LA who was certified in edel wedge fittings, but new to the putter fitting process. In fact, when we spoke, I think he was expecting to receive the equipment to begin doing putter fittings the following week! I elected to hold off for the time being.

I think I'll wait for May then. [quote name="Big C" url="/t/76214/being-fit-for-an-edel-putter/54#post_1122970"]Brent Mann did not return my calls. There was another gentleman in LA who was certified in edel wedge fittings, but new to the putter fitting process. In fact, when we spoke, I think he was expecting to receive the equipment to begin doing putter fittings the following week! I elected to hold off for the time being.[/quote] I hope he gets some good experience before May (or whenever I get around to the new putter). Do you remember who the new fitter was?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, follow-up question. What do I do if I go for a fitting, particularly at a place that charges for fittings, and their procedure is radically different from what @iacas describes? Knowing what to do if that happens will probably remove most of the anxiety I'm feeling about this. I'm worried that several of my likely choices will result in a "four heads four grips, 16 choices" fitting. There was an outfit that one choice on the below list reminds me of (at least by website), managed by a former U.S. Amateur champion even, around these parts not too long ago that charged for fittings and then miraculously, everyone I knew who went for a fitting ended up being fit for the same expensive shafts. It used to be a running joke that I wasn't in on until I had spent near $1000 : oh, you've got these shafts? Let me guess, $name-of-place? Yeah, they sell those to everybody. It left a bad taste in my mouth for quite some time about paying for a third-party fitting. I want to go in May or June and get an Edel putter before too long, ideally before too much of the summer gets away from me. If there's a good reason to wait longer, I will, but I've delayed enough (and I should have bought earlier, and both So Cal Sandtrappers with Edel putters went to different fitters who both aren't around anymore). I also delayed video-taping my swing, and posting a "my swing" thread, despite many credible suggestions to do so sooner, and since doing so, I've knocked several shots off my handicap. As best I can tell, my options are as follows: [LIST] [*] I could drive to San Diego (approx 3 hours each way) and hope that the Golf Galaxy fitting isn't just on an in-store demo putting green. I would call first, of course, especially since Edel doesn't return anything on their website's search. [*] I could go to Urban Performance L.A., although as described by others, it looks like a place that fits for a variety of putters, and I wonder how much attention into the Edel process they put. Alternately, maybe they've embraced this process and use it to fit for other brands, too, kinda like how many stores used the Mizuno shaft optimizer a few years ago for every iron fitting. Either way, I worry I'll pay for a fitting that isn't anywhere near what Edel says should happen, and then I'm out some cash (or worse, if I don't notice it and end up with a misfit expensive putter). [*] I could wait for Brett Mann to reutrn @Big C 's calls. Alternately, I could find out who the person he describes is, although that might be the second option (Urban Performance). [*] I could drive up to Bakersfield. A little over 100 miles from here, and the folks listed are credited with AimPoint too. It's closer than San Diego, but I have friends on the way to SD and might know maybe one person in Bakersfield. So the SD trip would be double dipping, but the Bakersfield would be more convenient. [*] Wait until I'm in Phoenix next and go to the guy in Scottsdale. Maybe July? [*] Fly to Erie. Even though that guy isn't listed as a putter fitter on their website for some reason... :-\ Expensive option, and I probably wouldn't have the time in my schedule to do much more than fly in, get fit, and fly out. Coolest option, also the most expensive. [*] Wait and hope a better option presents itself. [/LIST] I also welcome suggestions for other things I could do.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

Sorry. Didn't see your prior post. Matt Mora at Urban Performance was who I spoke with. He seemed like a decent guy, but I can't give you any useful information based on our brief phone call. Best of luck in your search!

Sorry. Didn't see your prior post. Matt Mora at Urban Performance was who I spoke with. He seemed like a decent guy, but I can't give you any useful information based on our brief phone call. Best of luck in your search!

Actually, this is useful information, thanks! I have to figure out if I want to go there or not. It's certainly convenient, and if it turns out to be a good fitting place, that's good information for other So Cal SandTrappers who want to get an Edel putter. Maybe I'll call and ask if I can swing by and check it out without committing to anything just yet.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

• Administrator

Okay, follow-up question. What do I do if I go for a fitting, particularly at a place that charges for fittings, and their procedure is radically different from what @iacas describes? Knowing what to do if that happens will probably remove most of the anxiety I'm feeling about this. I'm worried that several of my likely choices will result in a "four heads four grips, 16 choices" fitting.

Ideally this thread is helpful so that you can ask questions before-hand and see if you want to go, and also if possible to ask about a single point or two while gettingΒ the fitting, like "Can you check me on breaking putts to see if I still aim really well?" or something like that.

Fly to Erie. Even though that guy isn't listed as a putter fitter on their website for some reason...Β Β Expensive option, and I probably wouldn't have the time in my schedule to do much more than fly in, get fit, and fly out. Coolest option, also the most expensive.

Well, you could do a lot more than be fit for a putter here. Erie's beautiful in the summer time! :)

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Ideally this thread is helpful so that you can ask questions before-hand and see if you want to go, and also if possible to ask about a single point or two while gettingΒ the fitting, like "Can you check me on breaking putts to see if I still aim really well?" or something like that.

Yes. In a few weeks, my schedule will calm down, and I'm going to investigate this further. [quote name="iacas" url="/t/76214/being-fit-for-an-edel-putter/54#post_1134090"] Well, you could do a lot more than be fit for a putter here. Erie's beautiful in the summer time! :) [/quote] I believe it. Maybe I'll plan summer 2016's work schedule to give me the ability to go there for some time (although I hope to have an Edel putter by then!)

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

• 1 month later...
OK I am ready to get a Edel fitting/putter ... especially after today! If you purchase the putter, is the fitting included in the price, or is the fitting over and above the cost of the putter? (I am going in front the finance committee tomorrow to ask(beg) for the funding, and need to be prepare ... :-D )

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

If you purchase the putter, is the fitting included in the price, or is the fitting over and above the cost of the putter?

I believe the fitting cost is in addition to. I should know in a few weeks for sure. Best of luck with the finance committee.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

I believe the fitting cost is in addition to. I should know in a few weeks for sure. Best of luck with the finance committee.

[quote name="isukgolf" url="/t/76214/being-fit-for-an-edel-putter/60#post_1148435"]OK I am ready to get a Edel fitting/putter ... especially after today! If you purchase the putter, is the fitting included in the price, or is the fitting over and above the cost of the putter? (I am going in front the finance committee tomorrow to ask(beg) for the funding, and need to be prepare ... :-D )[/quote]In my case - and I think this is the norm - is that the fitting cost is rolled over into the price of the putter. So, effectively, the fitting is "free." Now, if you go get fitted and it turns out your current putter already meets your needs, then they'll probably change you something, but I have no idea what that might be.

• Administrator

Now, if you go get fitted and it turns out your current putter already meets your needs, then they'll probably change you something, but I have no idea what that might be.

Fittings are usually "free" if you buy the putter, and if someone's putter fit them, I wouldn't charge them a fee, but others might for the "time" you booked. If they do that, I suggest you use the time… but it likely won't happen as almost nobody has a putter that fits them AND controls distance well.

Note:Β This thread is 1500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!