IGNORED

Need help choosing the correct shot shape.

Note: This thread is 3287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can someone help me out on weather I should fade towards a hazard or draw away from them?

Example:  On a 200yd Par 3 with water on the right of the green, should I as a righty, start the ball left and have it fade in? Or start the ball at the water and draw it back to the green?

I'm just trying to get a feel for the correct strategy.

Thanks,

Nick

Can someone help me out on weather I should fade towards a hazard or draw away from them?  Example:  On a 200yd Par 3 with water on the right of the green, should I as a righty, start the ball left and have it fade in? Or start the ball at the water and draw it back to the green?  I'm just trying to get a feel for the correct strategy. Thanks, Nick

Depends on your typical shot shape and your common miss. My draws tend to get away from me and occasionally be a mild push. Fades I only hit to get around trouble. Try hitting it straight, haha. But do what you can to best keep water out of play, subject to your misses. I'd worry less about shaping shots of you can help it and try to get your stock shot consistent. Even the pros don't work the ball as much as TV announcers seem to make it out to be the case.

• Upvote 1

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to the forum,

In my opinion you should play the shot shape that is more reliable for you. If that means you have to play away from the pin but are able to avoid trouble so be it. Your job is to score lower.

• Upvote 1

Brandon Fox

Rochester, NY

Welcome to the forum,

In my opinion you should play the shot shape that is more reliable for you. If that means you have to play away from the pin but are able to avoid trouble so be it. Your job is to score lower.

This is my answer, too. I very rarely try to shape shots on the course. Maybe, maybe once every other round, normally to try to get myself out of trouble. Stick with your normal shape and play it that way.

That said, if you really want to shape shots like this, I think the theory is to shape the shot away from trouble. I think the reasoning is that it is difficult to control how much your shot moves. So if you're trying to draw in a ball with water on the left, there's more of a danger that you overdraw and end up in the water. If you overfade that same shot, then you'll still be fine. And if you don't fade the ball at all, you'll probably still be fine unless your starting line was really bad.

• Upvote 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I guess my problem is staying committed to the shot because I think maybe the other shape is the higher percentage shot.  As obvious as it seems, maybe hitting it straight is the best for me right now.  I need to pay more attention to my misses and go from there.

Thanks again all

Welcome to the forum,

I agree completely with Brandon.  I know that I do NOT hit a reliable fade, so unless I'm behind a tree, I never try to hit a fade.  In my 40 years of playing, I'm not sure I've ever met a 10 handicap, and very very few 5 handicaps, that can consistently and reliably bend a ball in both directions (some consistently bend a ball, in random directions, but not necessarily in the intended direction).  If you hit a shot you're comfortable with, you have a much better chance of success.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

My stock shot is a draw, I hit it 98% of the time.  So I would hit my draw starting towards the water and have it turn back onto the green.  However my usual miss is a straight push so rather than starting over the water I'll start on the flag (assuming it's in the center).  If I get my usual draw I'll be left of the flag but away from the water.  if I get my normal miss I'll be left of the water and hopefully on the right side of the green.

Most of the time the 'correct' shape is the one you're confident in.  Don't feel you need a different shape for every shot.  Watch pro-tracer videos on youtube, you'll see lots of examples of guys doing the opposite of what 'seems right' just because it's their normal shape and they have confidence in the outcome.

Brad

Knowing that the psi-gravitational force is stronger on the right hand side of the green, I will do one of two things: I will hit a push into the water or in an effort to hit a fade, hit a dead pull into thick woods on the other side.

Best to ignore the water and hit the stock shot.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I guess my problem is staying committed to the shot because I think maybe the other shape is the higher percentage shot.  As obvious as it seems, maybe hitting it straight is the best for me right now.  I need to pay more attention to my misses and go from there.

Thanks again all

A  couple of things - if you like this forum, buy Lowest Score Wins and pay particular attention to the final section. It talks about shot zones and course management strategy in a way that will allow you to answer this question not only for the shot you describe, but for every shot you play.

"Hitting it straight" sounds like an obvious answer, yes, and it's the right one. At a 16 handicap I would honestly forget about shot shaping at all. It's not important unless you want to feel good about pulling off a difficult shot for fun. If you want to score, hit your best shot at your shot zone. On a 200 yard par 3 it would be suicide to try and hit the ball at the water and draw it in. Your margin for error is too great. Even Zach Johnson would get a lump in his throat at that shot.

Also, as your swing improves, you'll find that straight is relatively impossible. Your ball will naturally fade or draw a bit, and this will likely be your stock shot shape. Use it 97% of the time. Pros do it 95% of the time, I've heard.

• Upvote 1

I agree completely with Brandon.  I know that I do NOT hit a reliable fade, so unless I'm behind a tree, I never try to hit a fade.  In my 40 years of playing, I'm not sure I've ever met a 10 handicap, and very very few 5 handicaps, that can consistently and reliably bend a ball in both directions (some consistently bend a ball, in random directions, but not necessarily in the intended direction).  If you hit a shot you're comfortable with, you have a much better chance of success.

I'll also agree with both Dave and Brandon, I play a stock draw unless I'm forced to try and bend the ball left due to a poor tee shot location.  And even then if I can hit a hook, I'm more likely to hit that then a fade as i know I can pull off a hook at anytime and a fade sometimes.  I too have never really met many golfers who can consistently hit it left or right accurately.  Everyone I've played with can do it at times, but definitely not something that they would try on every other hole due to a pin location.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Most of the time the 'correct' shape is the one you're confident in.

@navitello - Bradsul pretty much hit the nail on the head....   hypothetically many say you should typically work the ball away from a hazard.  Ultimately, you have to be confident in your shot and play for your miss.  Pick your target and commit with your miss still taking the hazard out of play if possible.

I typically play a small fade....  With water on the right on a 200 yard par three, I'm playing to the left side of the green (if I miss straight I miss left of green, my normal cut puts me on the left green, and a push or over cut puts me in the middle or right side of the green....

For the most part, unless you're scratch golfer - and even then sometimes, you can try to do to much working the ball both ways.  You are better off eliminating a side and just working with one ball shape...  and then let the shape choose you, don't work to hard on choosing a shape.

Edit:  In all honesty, unless I'm in a tournament - I've got nothing to loose and I'm pin seeking most of the time - it's not smart, but it's fun lol - it gets me in a lot of trouble and leads to a couple big holes a round but it's fun when it works out lol

Good Luck!

• Upvote 1

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Note: This thread is 3287 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!