IGNORED

Colin Cowherd Out At ESPN

jsgolfer
Note: This thread is 3170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Another ESPN'er out, was supposed to be later, but some comments that he said about Dominican Baseball players got him ousted sooner.

A lot of popular Espn hosts have been removed recently.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I always thought he was a bit to arrogant at times. Didn't listen to him much. When he left the local Vegas market, it was no big deal. He will find something else.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

ESPN is cleaning house of their big contracts to reduce their losses.  Colin's contract was due to expire shortly and he wasn't going to renew so I'm sure they were hoping for any reason to cut him loose sooner and potentially limit any damage he'd do at a competitors station.

I heard and read the comment and thought ESPN completely over reacted.  If it wasn't for all the Donald Trump / Mexico fallout and his contract status I highly doubt Cowherd would get cut for those comments.

The big question is did the comments and his firing make him too toxic to hire or will ESPN's competitors ignore the comments and hire him anyway.

Joe Paradiso

I always thought he was a bit to arrogant at times. Didn't listen to him much. When he left the local Vegas market, it was no big deal. He will find something else.

I wasn't a big fan either, he tried too hard to be controversial and it was very apparent in his commentary.  I don't care for most sports talk show hosts as they all seem to think we care about their political agenda and aspire to be Howard Stern.

Joe Paradiso

ESPN is cleaning house of their big contracts to reduce their losses.  Colin's contract was due to expire shortly and he wasn't going to renew so I'm sure they were hoping for any reason to cut him loose sooner and potentially limit any damage he'd do at a competitors station. I heard and read the comment and thought ESPN completely over reacted.  If it wasn't for all the Donald Trump / Mexico fallout and his contract status I highly doubt Cowherd would get cut for those comments. The big question is did the comments and his firing make him too toxic to hire or will ESPN's competitors ignore the comments and hire him anyway.

Does ESPN feel that they can put anybody on and people will listen? Didn't realize they had losses to reduce

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I am a big fan of the herd.

Will miss listening to him if the local station does not pick him up wherever he goes.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Does ESPN feel that they can put anybody on and people will listen? Didn't realize they had losses to reduce

Advertising dollars are getting diluted between television, radio and the internet.  Some of these radio guys have pretty large contracts that the advertising revenue is not or barely covering.

ESPN has let a number of people go, first Simmons, then Oberman and now Cowherd.  The rights to air sporting events like mens college football and basketball have skyrocketed and it seems the radio personalities are the ones getting pushed out.  ESPN paid $7.3 billion for the NCAA football playoffs and $15.2 billion for their NFL rights.

These increased costs combined with loss of subscribers is cited as the main reason for cutting their on air talent.

Joe Paradiso

I am a big fan of the herd.

Will miss listening to him if the local station does not pick him up wherever he goes.

He's likely going to get picked up by Fox

Joe Paradiso

Advertising dollars are getting diluted between television, radio and the internet.  Some of these radio guys have pretty large contracts that the advertising revenue is not or barely covering.

ESPN has let a number of people go, first Simmons, then Oberman and now Cowherd.  The rights to air sporting events like mens college football and basketball have skyrocketed and it seems the radio personalities are the ones getting pushed out.  ESPN paid $7.3 billion for the NCAA football playoffs and $15.2 billion for their NFL rights.

These increased costs combined with loss of subscribers is cited as the main reason for cutting their on air talent.

I wonder if that is the main reason they moved Scott Van Pelt to a midnight sports anchor?

-Jerry

I wonder if that is the main reason they moved Scott Van Pelt to a midnight sports anchor?

My understanding is in the radio game it's all about ratings and show ranking in your time slot.  The higher your ratings and rank at your time slot the more your company can demand for advertising.  In the case of these three, they weren't #1 in their time slots so the overall advertising revenue for their shows were down which usually means you're headed for the door if you won't take a pay cut.

Joe Paradiso

• 4 weeks later...
I've never liked any of them. Most sports talk show guys piss me off. They have outlandish opinions and act like they are the God of knowledge on the topic. I see big things for Brock Huard in the future because he isn't obnoxious and listens this callers without being condescending.

Note: This thread is 3170 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!