IGNORED

TaylorMade Golf Completes M Family with Introduction of M2 Metalwoods and Irons

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Basically an M1 without the CG adjustability to sell it at a lower price point. Important to note that it's not replacing the M1, it's adding to the line. 

Utilizing Multi-Material Construction Found in M1, M2 Line Delivers on Maximum Distance and Forgiveness 

CARLSBAD, CALIF. (January 25, 2016) – Following the remarkable success of M1, TaylorMade Golf, makers of the No. 1 Driver in Golf, today unveiled M2 drivers, fairways and Rescue clubs to complete the M family. In M2, engineers have utilized the same proprietary multi-material combination, including the seven-layer carbon composite crown found in the M1, to develop a line of products that deliver two highly sought-after performance benefits: distance and forgiveness.

Similar to M1, the M2 product line meets the challenge of delivering more performance to players of all skill levels with the utilization of multi-material construction (driver and fairway). From the outset, the key product deliverable for the M2 line has been to deliver maximum forgiveness without sacrificing distance. TaylorMade has achieved this by leveraging the weight savings from the carbon crown and redistributing the discretionary weight to the sole of the club, resulting in a low and slightly farther back center of gravity. This ultimately gives many golfers what they want: distance and forgiveness, without compromise. The result is a family of clubs that deliver hot trajectories with massive sweet spots and maximum forgiveness.

Multi-Material Construction Driver

Similar to the composition of M1, the use of TaylorMade’s carbon composite crown design in the M2 driver has resulted in a significant decrease in overall crown weight and with that, engineers have been able to lower the CG considerably. The total weight savings of 5g creates a dream scenario for our engineers, giving them enough discretionary weight savings to generate a remarkably hot trajectory with maximized forgiveness. Whereas the savings in weight in the M1 was used to develop the company’s revolutionary T-Track System, the combination of the carbon crown with titanium casting technology in the M2 driver has enabled engineers to move the CG into a position of simultaneous speed and forgiveness.

Sweetspot & Ball Speed Protection

With forgiveness a priority in M2, TaylorMade engineers focused on three key performance features that deliver ball speed protection on shots struck away from center-face: inverted cone technology (ICT), a redesigned Speed Pocket; and increased moment of inertia (MOI).

The M2 driver utilizes inverted cone technology (ICT) to increase the size of the high-COR area of the clubface. ICT utilizes a thinner clubface, which would be above the legal limit for COR at the center if it were uniform thickness. However, the inverted cone feature is then added to the center of the clubface to bring that section back down to the legal range, while the higher COR remains out on the heel and toe areas of the face.

M2 also features a redesigned Speed Pocket. It allows for greater face flexion than with a traditional, more rigid connection. More flexibility means greater energy transfer at impact made low on the face and thus, more protection of ball speed.

Lastly, the center of gravity in the M2 driver has been positioned low and slightly further back in the clubhead. In M2, the moments of inertia (MOI) are among the highest of any club we’ve ever produced. The increased MOI resists twisting at impact, resulting in farther and straighter shots when struck off-center.

Design Aesthetics

Like M1, the M2 driver head is designed with a classic club head shape and fast, aggressive aesthetics where the black carbon meets the white titanium. The design suits the eye of better players from address but delivers performance for all, with maximized aerodynamics, face area, and a low center of gravity. The structural changes in the design of the club head include a lowered front face area that still has the traditional rounded face shape from address, as well as a raised front crown and sloping rear crown section to maximize low CG without compromising the aerodynamic benefits

Personalization

The 12 position loft sleeve of the M2 driver provides up to four degrees of loft adjustment. In addition to the stock Fujikura Pro shaft, TaylorMade will offer upwards of 30 additional premium custom shaft options at no upcharge.

Pricing and Availability

Available on February 19 at $399 USD, the M2 driver is available in 9.5°, 10.5° & 12° loft options in both right and left hand models.

M2 Fairway

Similar to the M2 driver, the multi-material carbon crown on the M2 fairway has created 5g of discretionary weight savings, allowing for an extremely low CG. The shallow head design delivers versatile playability from the tee and fairway. A new, fluted hosel design provides superior sound and feel without compromising distance. In all, the M2 fairway is engineered for dominant performance in every detail of the club, delivering exceptional distance and superior look and feel.

Redesigned Speed Pocket

In 2012, TaylorMade redefined the metalwood category and changed the state of the industry with the introduction of RocketBallz and the creation of the first ever Speed Pocket. Since then, company engineers have been relentlessly working toward creating a longer, faster and more forgiving product, taking everything learned from the success of the best-selling fairway model in company history and improving on it to design and engineer a product demonstrably better in every way.

A new, completely redesigned Speed Pocket significantly increases the flexibility of the low club face area; the most flexible Speed Pocket the company has ever designed. The increase in low face flexibility translates into a higher COR, which results in higher ball speed for shots struck low on the face. This is primarily achieved by creating more flexibility in the Speed Pocket.

Pricing and Availability

Available on February 19 at $249 USD, the M2 fairway is offered in five lofts – 15˚, 16.5˚, 18˚ (RH & LH) and 21˚ & 24˚ (RH only), equipped with a TaylorMade Reax 65 (S, X), 55 (R, M), or 45 (L).

56a64493dc011_193903-M2DriverAddressHQ-856a644949985f_193901-M2Driver3_4HQ-dc03956a6449349810_193907-M2DriverToeHQ-ad82e56a644953a59d_193905-M2FW33_4HQ-e43484-o192264-Raptor_FW3_Address_HQ-7b18f2-orig56a6449e14289_193902-M2Rescue3_4HQ-9328e56a6449e93744_193897-M2RescueAddressHQ-0

Designed to Take Golfers Farther and Higher with Emphasis on Distance, Peak Trajectory, Sound & Feel

CARLSBAD, CALIF. (January 25, 2016) – TaylorMade Golf, the industry leader in iron innovation, announced the M2 irons today, the embodiment of the company’s pursuit to equip golfers with both maximum distance and playability in a game improvement iron. Designed for golfers who would benefit from an iron that prioritizes both distance and trajectory, while also delivering great forgiveness and feel, the M2 iron is designed for complete performance. By pushing the boundaries of innovation, the engineers behind M2 created a dominant blend of distance, peak trajectory, look, sound and feel that will give many golfers performance they didn’t know they were missing.

Taking Distance to New Heights

In creating the M2 irons, engineers employed many innovative features, including a new, proprietary fluted hosel, 360° undercut, Inverted Cone Technology (ICT), a new 3D badge and the company’s patented Speed Pocket technology.

A significant amount of mass is trapped in the hosel of all irons. To position the center of gravity low in the M2 iron, TaylorMade’s engineers utilized a new fluted hosel design to remove discretionary mass from the hosel, redistributing it lower and further back in the clubhead. The M2 iron also features an advanced topline construction – a 360° undercut that functions to increase the unsupported face area while saving weight to lower the CG, creating a canvas that lends itself to a unique combination of high ball speed, optimized launch angle and spin rate which yields exceptional distance and high peak trajectory.

This technology has resulted in an iron that outdistances the competition, as M2 is longer than Callaway’s XR iron by 5 yards and Ping’s G30 iron by 9 yards while maintaining a higher peak trajectory than both products.*

While the fluted hosel and 360° undercut are the pathways to distance, speed and higher ball flight are achieved through the incorporation of a newly designed Speed Pocket and a thin face with Inverted Cone Technology. First found in the RocketBladez irons in 2012, the Speed Pocket is one of TaylorMade’s most revolutionary technologies, engineered to increase launch angle and ball speed while providing added forgiveness for shots struck low on the face.

M2 irons employ a 3D badge to manage sound and feel – a considerable challenge in an iron that produces this much ball speed – that features multi-material V-shaped struts to improve sound qualities and dampen unwanted vibrations. To accomplish this, the badge was designed to be extremely stiff without inhibiting ball speed, a balancing act that our engineers were able to execute flawlessly.

Together, these product innovations work to push the limits of distance performance in an iron to successfully deliver golfers tremendous distance and high peak trajectory in a product that has the potential to change the landscape of distance irons as we know it.

"The materials and technologies that went into the M2 iron allowed us to combine metalwood-like launch conditions with exceptional shot height and excellent control and feel. In M2, we’ve achieved maximum distance and peak trajectory metrics to an extent that even shocked those of us who designed and engineered it."

Tomo Bystedt, Director of Iron Product Creation

Pricing and Availability Available at retail on February 19, M2 irons ($799 steel; $899 graphite) will be offered in 4-iron through PW and AW with SW & LW also available. Players will have a choice of REAX 88 High Launch steel shafts (S, R) or M2 REAX graphite shafts (45/L, 55/M, 65/R or 75/S) in addition to numerous additional custom shaft options.

M2 Tour Irons

In addition to M2, TaylorMade also announced the M2 Tour iron, a distance iron designed with a more compact shape geared for players looking for distance with added workability. Featuring many of the same technologies as the M2 iron, M2 Tour toes the line between a distance iron and a players iron, and does so with performance and design that will appeal to a variety of player types seeking distance benefits. With M2 Tour, distance was certainly a priority, but not the only one. Size, shape, offset, topline thickness, sole width, sound, and feel were all scrutinized, ensuring an ideal blend of distance and playability in a more compact package. The M2 Tour is sure to become a favorite of many golfers that have wanted to enjoy the performance of a game-improvement distance iron but with the look and workability of a players iron.

Pricing and Availability

Available at retail on March 15, the M2 Tour irons ($899 steel) will be offered in 4-iron through PW with AW and SW also available. The stock shaft is the True Temper XP95 steel shaft in addition to numerous additional custom shaft options.

56a645073bc4e_193891-Firebird3_4HQ-45a2b

193889-Firebird Toe HQ-3f6721-original-1453427717.jpg

193890-Firebird Sole HQ-57e76b-original-1453427717.jpg

56a64508e8f31_193886-M2TOURIron3_4-327fd

193885-M2 TOUR Iron Toe-953b0b-original-1453427654.jpg

193884-M2 TOUR Iron Sole-b90e9f-original-1453427654.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Before people get into the "...so TM introduces yet another driver..." argument, the M2 is for a different segment of golfers. It is the same thing Callaway is doing. Not all golfers are created equal. The M2 is akin to the Callaway X16 – no weight adjustments, lighter, and faster. I’m sure the M2 is a fine driver – those who love the TM Brand should go for it. The M1 look with more forgiveness is tough for many to resist.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I do not like how the M2 or M1 looks. I am not  fan of how the toe of the driver curves that much out away from the toe edge of the face. Also the M1 sounded horrible.

Irons look very much a mix of the 2009 Burner irons and last years model.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Taylormade's gone pretty much insane with their iron lofts. We've always joked about their strong lofts but they're cranked beyond belief. They're roughly 5.5° to 6° stronger than traditional lofts. Even against their Speedblades from a few years ago that were pretty nuts, the 6i is 1.5° stronger. I'm more bemused than apoplectic but from the early reviews, the common theme is that the spin model on these is crazy.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

3 minutes ago, dkolo said:

Taylormade's gone pretty much insane with their iron lofts. We've always joked about their strong lofts but they're cranked beyond belief. They're roughly 5.5° to 6° stronger than traditional lofts. Even against their Speedblades from a few years ago that were pretty nuts, the 6i is 1.5° stronger. I'm more bemused than apoplectic but from the early reviews, the common theme is that the spin model on these is crazy.

Doesn't matter really. With the shaft combination and CG location they still launch a good launch angle. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Wow I'm digging those irons. Going to have to try them out for myself. TM makes some seriously good irons that most people tend to overlook because most of the press is about their woods.

10 minutes ago, dkolo said:

Taylormade's gone pretty much insane with their iron lofts. We've always joked about their strong lofts but they're cranked beyond belief. They're roughly 5.5° to 6° stronger than traditional lofts. Even against their Speedblades from a few years ago that were pretty nuts, the 6i is 1.5° stronger.

Static loft isn't the only factor (and not even the most important one) in launch conditions. Today's 6i hits as far as a 4i from 20 years ago and is far more forgiving. They launch high and carry a long way despite stronger lofts; the club designers know what they're doing.

They can't just make lofts stronger and make a club that hits low bullets and claim it goes 20 yards longer, you know what I mean? The clubs have to be playable and are.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

Wow I'm digging those irons. Going to have to try them out for myself. TM makes some seriously good irons that most people tend to overlook because most of the press is about their woods.

Static loft isn't the only factor (and not even the most important one) in launch conditions. Today's 6i hits as far as a 4i from 20 years ago and is far more forgiving. They launch high and carry a long way despite stronger lofts; the club designers know what they're doing.

They can't just make lofts stronger and make a club that hits low bullets and claim it goes 20 yards longer, you know what I mean? The clubs have to be playable and are.

The problem they run into with these strong lofts is lowering the spin too much and making it too hard to hold greens.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

48 minutes ago, billchao said:

They launch high and carry a long way despite stronger lofts; the club designers know what they're doing.

Right with the CG being as low as it is with these irons, they have to make the lofts stronger.

@SavvySwede gets more into it here.

This allows the M2 irons to have stronger lofts for higher ball speed yet still have a steeper landing angle to hold the greens. I tell ya I tried these bad boys on the range and the sensation was something I had not encountered before. The 5 iron took off like a wedge but just kept going. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

The problem they run into with these strong lofts is lowering the spin too much and making it too hard to hold greens.

I was getting peak trajectory of 145 ft with the 5iron. Not much spin required to stop that.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I'm really liking what I'm reading..  I'm going to try all three of these when I make it back home this summer.. If they perform much better than my current clubs I think I'm due for a nice investment!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

No face pocket thingies in the irons?  Did Taylormade decide they dont do anything after all?  I guess it's the Inverted Cone Tech that they're claiming gives heel and toe forgiveness, but haven't they had that for years now?

At any rate, it sounds like they actually have made a breakthrough in launch and distance.  Fun stuff.

18 minutes ago, allenc said:

No face pocket thingies in the irons?  Did Taylormade decide they dont do anything after all?  I guess it's the Inverted Cone Tech that they're claiming gives heel and toe forgiveness, but haven't they had that for years now?

At any rate, it sounds like they actually have made a breakthrough in launch and distance.  Fun stuff.

Oh ok, found the following quote somewhere on the interwebs.  Sorry if it's repeated in the op.  I didn't see it there though.

Neither the M2 nor the M2 Tour irons use the company’s Face Slots, a feature added to the company’s PSi and PSi Tour irons that were released late in 2015. According to Tomo Bystedt, TaylorMade’s director of iron product creation, the large, thin faces of the M2 and M2 Tour irons didn’t benefit from the technology, which is most effective in more compact irons such as TaylorMade’s PSi.

5 hours ago, dkolo said:

@mvmac said it, but by lowering the CG, they have to make the lofts stronger. Otherwise the ball would launch high, spin too much, go nowhere, and be hard to control.

If anything I'd imagine the problem with the clubs is that they would be hard to launch the ball low when you wanted to.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, billchao said:

@mvmac said it, but by lowering the CG, they have to make the lofts stronger. Otherwise the ball would launch high, spin too much, go nowhere, and be hard to control.

If anything I'd imagine the problem with the clubs is that they would be hard to launch the ball low when you wanted to.

I completely understand that and I've defended Taylormade (and pretty much every GI manufacturer today, really) on that front and for that specific reason, but I think at a certain point it gets a tad much. For the high handicappers these are putatively aimed at, the low lofts are visually imposing and I do think the low spin will be an issue when they do struggle to get the long irons in the air, even though these seek to specifically help that. I have a Speedblade 6i from when they were giving them away. I bag it instead of my 5i because it goes as far but is a little easier to hit. But I feel the same as I would my 5i, which is that it's the limit of what I can handle in an iron. Even if the balancing of CG and loft works out on paper, in the hands of a higher handicapper, less loft isn't visually reassuring. And I can imagine it can create gapping issues as well.

I'll demo them once they come out and reserve further judgment on them until then. I had reservations about the M1 driver in pictures but seeing the crown in person changed my opinion on it completely, and I think it looks spectacular.

Dom's Sticks:

8 minutes ago, dkolo said:

For the high handicappers these are putatively aimed at, the low lofts are visually imposing and I do think the low spin will be an issue when they do struggle to get the long irons in the air, even though these seek to specifically help that. 

I would disagree. Most longer irons on modern GI clubs are chunky and much larger than a blade iron. I think top-line and overall club head size matters more than loft presented at set up. 

I would say if your assertion is true then high handicappers would hate hybrids because they have less loft than the longer irons. Yet most high handicappers like them. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

6 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

I was getting peak trajectory of 145 ft with the 5iron. Not much spin required to stop that.

145 feet? That's gotta be too high, right? I mean, I hit my 7 iron about 130 feet in the air, and I think it balloons a little too much for my taste. 145 for a 5 iron seems crazy.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

For the high handicappers these are putatively aimed at, the low lofts are visually imposing and I do think the low spin will be an issue when they do struggle to get the long irons in the air, even though these seek to specifically help that.

I don't believe these are aimed at high handicappers. The GI category has changed a lot in the last year or so and a lot of the clubs that come out now are playable for everyone from low single digits to high handicap players. These aren't SGI irons which are the only irons I would place in the category of "aimed at high handicappers"; as I understand it, TMAG's SGI irons are brought out under the Adams label.

I think the rest of your statement is kind of negated if you take away that assumption. Yes, the long irons will be easier to hit, but I really don't think these clubs are meant for people who need help hitting the ball in the air in general. They're not hybrid-irons.

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

I have a Speedblade 6i from when they were giving them away. I bag it instead of my 5i because it goes as far but is a little easier to hit. But I feel the same as I would my 5i, which is that it's the limit of what I can handle in an iron.

This statement is exactly what is going on with equipment. Your 6i goes as far as your old 5i and is still as easy to hit as a 6i. If you had the Speedblade 5i, it would probably be as easy/hard to hit as your old 5i and will be more forgiving, giving you better results.

I'm not sure what you were trying to say with this because this statement really supports GI designs and what manufacturers are trying to do. I would love if they can make a set where the 6i carries as far as my current 4i or something. I'll just add an extra wedge at the low end of the bag and the whole set will be better off.

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

Even if the balancing of CG and loft works out on paper, in the hands of a higher handicapper, less loft isn't visually reassuring.

This is the second time you mentioned this and I'm not sure what you mean. If I hand you a 25° M2 6i vs a 30° PSi Tour 6i, are you going to tell me the higher loft on the PSi Tour is going to inspire confidence, or the larger head with the bigger sweetspot on the M2 will?

You bag your 26.5° Speedblade 6i but the 25° M2 will be too little loft? I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in loft at address.

1 hour ago, dkolo said:

And I can imagine it can create gapping issues as well.

Within the set? I doubt it. It might create gapping issues in you bag, but there's always a chance you'll have that problem when you change irons, especially if you haven't done it in a while.

Bill

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

145 feet? That's gotta be too high, right? I mean, I hit my 7 iron about 130 feet in the air, and I think it balloons a little too much for my taste. 145 for a 5 iron seems crazy.

The pros actually have the same peak height throughout the entire bag.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Note: This thread is 3011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!