or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › The 2012 Masters Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The 2012 Masters Discussion Thread

post #1 of 516
Thread Starter 

So the spring is nearly upon us once again, and it's gearing up to be a pretty exciting Masters this year.

 

With Rory holding down the #1 spot, and given what happened last year and his current solid play, I would have to say he's the favorite.

 

But then you've got guys like Phil, Mahan, Stanley, and most recently Justin Rose all coming in to form (or in Phil's case, a rollercoaster of highs and lows). Then you've got the question mark that is Tiger, who despite his WD from Doral, is having a pretty solid season thus far.

 

I'm not sure anyone would have guessed Schwartzel to win it last year, yet he did, and in pretty dramatic fashion, which also leads me to the idea that this is anyone's green jacket.

 

I'm sure there are a dozen+ more names worth bringing in to the picture here, so what are TST's wise and knowledgable patrons predicting for Augusta this year?

 

 

 

Here's my best prediction as of late:

 

Winner: Rory Mcilroy

Runner up: Keegan Bradley

Scrappy contenders: Kyle Stanley/Jason Day

Dark Horse: Nick Watney

post #2 of 516

Just guessing here (and hoping):

 

Winner: Phil

Runner up: Rory

Contenders: Kuchar, Donald, Bradley

Dark Horse: ???

post #3 of 516

With how this season's been, there's at least 30 names that could easily win. That being said....

 

Winner: Tiger Woods

Runner Up: Webb Simpson

Contenders: Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson

Dark Horse: Kyle Stanley

 

 

And shall we make it interesting with another category?

 

Notable to Miss the Cut: Martin Kaymer

post #4 of 516
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPutt View Post

 

And shall we make it interesting with another category?

 

Notable to Miss the Cut: Martin Kaymer



Yes, why not?

 

Missed Cut:  Westwood

post #5 of 516

Adam Scott might throw his hat in the ring I reckon. Saturday was ugly for him on the last few holes but he ranged from exceptional to solid for the balance of the Cadillac.

 

He'll be hungry too!

 

Rory has to go in as favourite for mine

post #6 of 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackforfun View Post

Adam Scott might throw his hat in the ring I reckon. Saturday was ugly for him on the last few holes but he ranged from exceptional to solid for the balance of the Cadillac.

He'll be hungry too!

Rory has to go in as favourite for mine

Yup. Scott played well last year too.
post #7 of 516

Rory is my favorite, hands down.  He comes back big after a disappointment.

 

Threw away the Masters last year, blasted the field at the US Open.  Threw away #1 OWGR at the Match Play, then got it the next week with a convincing win at the Honda.

 

He'll be looking to avenge his collapse at Augusta last year.  And he will.  Rory by six.

post #8 of 516

Winner: Luuuuuuuuke

Contenders: The usual: Rory, Tiger (if healthy), Phil, Westwood

Dark horse: Kaymer (I guess he qualifies for this category as he missed the last four cuts here)

post #9 of 516

It's an even-numbered year. Phil wins his 4th jacket (2004, 2006, 2010).

 

As far as a Dark Horse, if you can call the defending champ that, how about Charl Schwartzel? He played well at Doral.

post #10 of 516

I'd have to put Tiger, Phil and Rory at the top of the list right now. Scott has potential depending on his putting. Dustin Johnson is in the mix.

post #11 of 516

Rory, Luke, Charl, Westie. 

post #12 of 516
Thread Starter 

Well I gotta throw Tiger in there after his week at Bay Hill.

 

Tiger vs. Rory playoff. You heard it here first.

post #13 of 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx View Post

Tiger vs. Rory playoff. You heard it here first.

Right, I think you're the first person to notice that they are the two best players in the world.

And I'll go out on a limb and say that won't last long. By mid-summer, the golf world will be back to normal --- it will be Tiger and everybody else. Rory won't be the Tom Watson of the next ten years, he'll be the Phil Mickelson of the next ten years.
post #14 of 516
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brocks View Post


Right, I think you're the first person to notice that they are the two best players in the world.
And I'll go out on a limb and say that won't last long. By mid-summer, the golf world will be back to normal --- it will be Tiger and everybody else. Rory won't be the Tom Watson of the next ten years, he'll be the Phil Mickelson of the next ten years.


Not the first to notice, but the first to call a Masters playoff between the two.

 

And if there was some middle ground between Watson/Mickelson's records, I'd predict something along those lines for Rory. Which isn't a bad thing. These guys have hall of fame status records.

post #15 of 516

I am thinking Tiger is gonna win this one.  He's got that fade working and you need the balls landing soft into those greens.  And he seemed to have all the shots and the putter seems to working...don't really know how you can bet against him when has it working like he does.  Rory is obviously a good pick too.   There will also be some surprises like there are every year, so who knows.  Hence Charl last year

post #16 of 516

LOL Tiger wins one tournament where the rest of the field shot at least 4 strokes over par on Sunday and now Rory Mcilroy is written off as a has-been at the age of 22, gotta love it.

post #17 of 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtsalmela80 View Post

LOL Tiger wins one tournament where the rest of the field shot at least 4 strokes over par on Sunday and now Rory Mcilroy is written off as a has-been at the age of 22, gotta love it.

I'm sure Rory has a great career ahead of him, maybe even a Hall of Fame career. Ernie, Phil, and Vijay, to name three, all had HOF careers playing in Tiger's shadow, so there's no reason why Rory can't.

But Rory was crowned the king of golf a bit prematurely. Tiger has more wins at Bay Hill alone, than Rory has in his entire PGA and Euro Tour careers combined.
post #18 of 516

For what its worth, they both had about the same about of wins, including one major by 22-23 years old.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocks View Post


I'm sure Rory has a great career ahead of him, maybe even a Hall of Fame career. Ernie, Phil, and Vijay, to name three, all had HOF careers playing in Tiger's shadow, so there's no reason why Rory can't.
But Rory was crowned the king of golf a bit prematurely. Tiger has more wins at Bay Hill alone, than Rory has in his entire PGA and Euro Tour careers combined.


 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › The 2012 Masters Discussion Thread