or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread

post #1 of 685
Thread Starter 

post #2 of 685

first thought was WTF happened to the fairways...LOL the mower broke

 

pretty golf course - i hope it doesn't get killed.

 

weather here in philly has been dry most of the spring, had some showers yesterday but nothing huge, one last week but agaiin nothing huge. unless weather changes over the weekend it is going to be fast and dry.

post #3 of 685

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in my prediction of Tiger winning it all with a score of 12  under par.

 

I predict this because Merion is such a short course, as well as a par 70, and everyone knows Tiger's driver has been his weak part of his game lately. Maybe he will leave the driver in the bag and get down to business. #15 here we come!

post #4 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by HastyElephant View Post

I'm gonna go ahead and throw in my prediction of Tiger winning it all with a score of 12  under par.

 

I predict this because Merion is such a short course, as well as a par 70, and everyone knows Tiger's driver has been his weak part of his game lately. Maybe he will leave the driver in the bag and get down to business. #15 here we come!

Speaking of this ...

 

We having a prediction contest this year?  (I'm only curious because it seems they are usually up and running by this time, seemingly) c2_beer.gif

post #5 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

Speaking of this ...

 

We having a prediction contest this year?  (I'm only curious because it seems they are usually up and running by this time, seemingly) c2_beer.gif

Ask and you shall receive ...

 

http://thesandtrap.com/t/67476/2013-us-open-prediction-contest-with-iliac-golf-by-bert-lamar/0_30

post #6 of 685

yyayayayayayayayayayayyayaaya

post #7 of 685

OMG! What an intelligent comment. Thanks so much atb. 

post #8 of 685

I'm always excited for the US Open. Can't decide if The Masters or The US Open is my favorite major. The weekends of those two tournaments are probably the only weekends that I can guarantee I won't be playing golf. Instead I watch every second of the coverage. From the pictures provided, the course looks stunning. Just hope the weather continues to cooperate. Although, I think one wet day would be fun to watch.

post #9 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by joekelly View Post

OMG! What an intelligent comment. Thanks so much atb. 


lol sorry i'm just excited

post #10 of 685

This is gonna be an awesome tournament. There are just so many possible winners right now. And there are a bunch of guys whom I normally wouldnt consider, that happen to be trending at the right time. There are also a bunch of big names who aren't playing well right now, that you just can never discount.

post #11 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by atb5079 View Post


lol sorry i'm just excited

I hear ya.  Something about this tournament that puts it above the other majors for me.  Many prefer the Masters, many others prefer the "other" Open ;), and then even others ... nevermind, nobody prefers the PGA ;)   The course looks amazing, it's got history, those goofy, yet cool wicker baskets, its not ridiculously long (OK, the par 3's are), etc, etc.  So, I also say "yayayayayayayayayayayya" c2_beer.gif

 

Here's a question:  What silly "controversy" are people going to drum up this tournament for Tiger??? ;)

post #12 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I hear ya.  Something about this tournament that puts it above the other majors for me.  Many prefer the Masters, many others prefer the "other" Open ;), and then even others ... nevermind, nobody prefers the PGA ;)   The course looks amazing, it's got history, those goofy, yet cool wicker baskets, its not ridiculously long (OK, the par 3's are), etc, etc.  So, I also say "yayayayayayayayayayayya" c2_beer.gif

 

Here's a question:  What silly "controversy" are people going to drum up this tournament for Tiger??? ;)


He's gonna take a swing as an official calls time for a weather suspension.

post #13 of 685

The great golf writer Herbert Warren Wind once described a round at Merion as a play in three acts: the drama of the first six holes, the comedy of the middle seven, and the tragedy of the closing five. I'm looking forward to finding out which act will define this US Open.

  • Will this course prove to be a demanding championship test, where players will attack the opening stretch (including the course's only two par-fives among the first four holes), knowing that they must protect any strokes gained there for the remainder of the round?
  • Will Merion's modest length prove to be no match for today's power game, with the stretch of holes 7-13 (none longer than 400 yards) surrendering birdie after easy birdie, en route to record low scores?
  • Regardless of high scores or low, will the famed finale, with three holes nestled around an abandoned limestone quarry, play a vital role in determining the US Open winner? One may win the championship on these last three holes; he is even more likely, though, to give it away.
post #14 of 685
I'm so pumped. On Saturday my wife and I begin the 32 hour trip all the way round the world to NY and next Thursday I get to attend my first major. Can't wait. Who else is going to watch? I will probably get there when the gates open and stay till at least 6pm. Praying it will be a good day weather wise. Seeing as I can't go in the picking contest I will put it here that I reckon Jason Day will win.
post #15 of 685

The fairways look ridiculously hard to hit (very small width)... I hope the greens hold shots from the rough...  If not, we could all be seeing a tournament where even par wins on Sunday afternoon.

post #16 of 685

I wonder if the 18th will play closer to 4 or 5 in stroke average. That hole looks impossible.

The one thing I don't like about Merion is the length of the par 3s, 3 of them close to 250 yards (at their longest) is a bit too much for me. I like the shortish par 3s better, where you can see anything between 2 and 6.

post #17 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwick View Post

I wonder if the 18th will play closer to 4 or 5 in stroke average. That hole looks impossible.

The one thing I don't like about Merion is the length of the par 3s, 3 of them close to 250 yards (at their longest) is a bit too much for me. I like the shortish par 3s better, where you can see anything between 2 and 6.


Those 3's are one of the big reasons theses guys are gonna struggle. I just cant help but think the winner comes down the the guy who misses the rough an hits the fairways one practically ever hole. I have never seen such tight fairways lined with such miserable rough. Stricker. McDowell, Furyk, etc.

post #18 of 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post

The fairways look ridiculously hard to hit (very small width)... I hope the greens hold shots from the rough...  If not, we could all be seeing a tournament where even par wins on Sunday afternoon.

 

Unless they are awfully soft and wet, don't expect to see the greens holding from anywhere but the fairway.  Why do you think that they made that groove change 3 years ago?  The USGA and R&A want the rough to be a factor in the game, and the US Open is famous for making certain of that.  I hope that it holds up to their usual standards.  There's a reason why they call it "par".  a2_wink.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Tour Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Tour Talk › Official 2013 U.S. Open at Merion Discussion Thread