or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (FooFader)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My Swing (FooFader)

post #1 of 77
Thread Starter 

 



I've been Playing Golf for:​ 4 years but in the last 3 i've only played a handful of times. Getting serious about improving this coming year


My current handicap index or average score is: old handicap was a 16 but maybe higher now


My typical ball flight is: fade/slice


The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slice



 





Hi there, i'm new around here but hopefully will get to know you all in time. Any help here would be very welcome and much appreciated. " src="http://files.thesandtrap.com//images/smilies/new/a1_smile.gif" />



 



 



 

post #2 of 77

Looks good - I suspect your slice is from the outside-in path to the ball.  Try to inside-out and see if you slice>>>

post #3 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbest View Post

Looks good - I suspect your slice is from the outside-in path to the ball.  Try to inside-out and see if you slice>>>

Kinda like this guy:
post #4 of 77
Thread Starter 

Just got back from a quick 9 holes, making the most of the lovely sunny weather here in the UK. Probably played the best golf of my life. Hitting most of the fairways and my ballstriking was pretty hot. Shot pattern for the day was a nice controllable fade however on the 8th hit a huge 100yrd slice off the tee, was lucky to have a good lie and shot into the green saving a bogey. I didn't manage to get a video from today but my swing thought was getting my left shoulder towards my right foot on my backswing, was getting a bit flat the other day. Here's the scorecard from today:

 

post #5 of 77
Thread Starter 

Played 18 yesterday shooting a 98 which was quite frankly awful. Wasn't hitting the ball too badly but short game was off big time. Definitely need some practise time in there. However came home and got some new videos up in 120fps of face on and DTL. I've changed my grip a lot in the past week, it was getting way too strong so just about use to those changes now. My impressions from my videos are i need to work on on key #1 steady head as its dipping through the downswing. Also i think my first next move will be to shorten the back swing to prevent my left arm from collapsing at the top.

 

post #6 of 77
You have a significant OTT move, which is caused by too much shoulder and forearm release of the club, this is very noticeable in the film. Work on the lower body leading the swing, exaggerate this move to really get the feeling that your upper is more passive.
post #7 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldengine View Post

You have a significant OTT move, which is caused by too much shoulder and forearm release of the club, this is very noticeable in the film. Work on the lower body leading the swing, exaggerate this move to really get the feeling that your upper is more passive.

 

Ok i'll give that a go thanks. However i think that if i can that the top of the backswing looking better, ie less breakdown of the left arm then i'd automatically come down more on plane as i'd no longer be manipulating my left arm coming down but i don't know whether that is correct logic or just wishful thinking  ;-)

post #8 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldengine View Post

You have a significant OTT move, which is caused by too much shoulder and forearm release of the club, this is very noticeable in the film. Work on the lower body leading the swing, exaggerate this move to really get the feeling that your upper is more passive.

 

I don't see a "significant OTT move."  Swing actually looks pretty good to my eye; especially for a 16+. Sounds like you are working on the fundamentals (head steady, grip,etc.) which is great.  Until you have those nailed down, I would be cautious about taking the swing "thoughts" that have helped others.  

 

If you are having trouble with your short game, work on that; its the best way to drop your score.  And, its amazing how the fundamentals of the chip and pitch translate to the longer swing.  

post #9 of 77
I'm not very good nor am I a swing guru, but this was my thought watching your video... shorten your backswing, keeping that left elbow from breaking down... a problem of mine too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFader View Post

Ok i'll give that a go thanks. However i think that if i can that the top of the backswing looking better, ie less breakdown of the left arm then i'd automatically come down more on plane as i'd no longer be manipulating my left arm coming down but i don't know whether that is correct logic or just wishful thinking  a2_wink.gif
post #10 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCRuzanski View Post

I'm not very good nor am I a swing guru, but this was my thought watching your video... shorten your backswing, keeping that left elbow from breaking down... a problem of mine too.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guiseppe View Post
 

 

I don't see a "significant OTT move."  Swing actually looks pretty good to my eye; especially for a 16+. Sounds like you are working on the fundamentals (head steady, grip,etc.) which is great.  Until you have those nailed down, I would be cautious about taking the swing "thoughts" that have helped others.  

 

If you are having trouble with your short game, work on that; its the best way to drop your score.  And, its amazing how the fundamentals of the chip and pitch translate to the longer swing.  

 

Thanks for the positivity guys! If you could have seen my swing from a year ago it makes me feel like i'm making good progress to hear you say you can't see 'significant' OTT movements. And as you said, i shall be putting work into the short game in due course although my chipping is pretty good, my pitching and putting aren't (i took group lessons every week when i was about 11 or 12 and we practised chipping religiously every time so in that small area of the game i'm pretty proficient after i've got my distances dialled in)

post #11 of 77
I say significant because I believe even the smallest of flipping the club around the target line will lead to all kinds of consistency problems. Unless you are lee Trevino, its a problem.
It's like if a doctor found a little tumor on your brain and said "its okay its only the size of a baby ant, the rest of you looks good".
post #12 of 77
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by theworldengine View Post

I say significant because I believe even the smallest of flipping the club around the target line will lead to all kinds of consistency problems. Unless you are lee Trevino, its a problem.
It's like if a doctor found a little tumor on your brain and said "its okay its only the size of a baby ant, the rest of you looks good".

 

Sorry if i seemed to be harsh or a bit dismissive of your post, i really appreciate you taking the time to check out my thread.

 

It's just as i said i've made a lot of progress with trying to eliminate the OTT which as i've said was almost comical last year (imagine someone purposefully trying to swing OTT as much as possible, looks like chopping wood with an axe or something :~() and the improvement is encouraging me and hopefully with the shortened swing im working on, further work on the small OTT movement left will be that much easier, maybe it will fix itself.

 

So no hard feelings and if, when i've conquered my overswing, the OTT is still there please do tell me and i shall be grateful :-)

post #13 of 77
Thread Starter 

I've been working on shortening the backswing the past few days with success but every now and again i forget and revert back to before with left arm collapse at the top. Will keep working at this for the coming days. Also been noticing a tendency of not getting my weight forward at impact but usually when i get a bit quick in the transition.

 

On the course today was hitting the ball ok, was some nice draws but was really hindered from scoring well by losing balls off the tee 3 times in 9 holes. Had a birdie though which was nice. Will get some more swing videos up once im happy with my progress on the overswing. 

post #14 of 77
Thread Starter 

Hi all, i've been really really busy with my degree the past few months so have not played more than 3 rounds since my last post which is very sad indeed. However i do now have some high quality 240fps footage from the correct camera angles so for the first time i can really see what's going on. The footage is from a while ago so no swing changes. I'm currently practicing shortening my backswing with slow reps indoors and then this weekend i'll get to the range and see what i can do. I do know that i have made no progress since 3 months ago or whenever i last uploaded and i know it will take at least 6 months to crack this overswing with daily drilling. I am however determined and now i know i have regular golf coming my way again hopefully i'll have something to show you guys in way of progress in the coming uploads. 

 

 

As always any comments are welcome and also do you agree that the overswing is the priority piece at the moment?

post #15 of 77
Thread Starter 

I've been reading around on a few other my swing threads and am seeing an awful lot of good things about evlovr. I'm really serious about getting better myself and i think evolvr would be a fantastic investment. However one question i would like some feedback on before i commit is would it still be worth it if i can only hit balls once sometimes twice a week? I currently don't have a car so getting to the range/course is difficult for me hence the limited range time. I obviously make slow specific swing in mirrors at home etc but what do you guys think?

post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooFader View Post
 

I've been reading around on a few other my swing threads and am seeing an awful lot of good things about evlovr. I'm really serious about getting better myself and i think evolvr would be a fantastic investment. However one question i would like some feedback on before i commit is would it still be worth it if i can only hit balls once sometimes twice a week? I currently don't have a car so getting to the range/course is difficult for me hence the limited range time. I obviously make slow specific swing in mirrors at home etc but what do you guys think?

 

 

Paging @cipher, @Golfingdad, @Ernest Jones, @Abu3baid ;-) 

 

Just my take, yes I would say it's worth it. You can get in a lot of good practice at home and in terms of getting to the range to film videos, you don't have to upload every week. You have the option to but it's not needed. 

post #17 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post


Paging @cipher
, @Golfingdad
, @Ernest Jones
, @Abu3baid
 a2_wink.gif  

Just my take, yes I would say it's worth it. You can get in a lot of good practice at home and in terms of getting to the range to film videos, you don't have to upload every week. You have the option to but it's not needed. 

There is no better investment that one could make month to month than evolvr IMO. Evolvr has made a huge difference in my game and has been a huge boost to my confidence on the course. The instructors are great, they know their stuff and the price is very good.
post #18 of 77
This is an and shut case! ;)

I can tell you from my experience that all of the changes I have made have been working on my pieces at home.

Because I don't have time to get to the range I usually end up taping my self on one of the holes while I'm playing to record and see if the picture is changing.

Best thing to do is try it for the first month and then see how it goes, but keep updating your thread because I enjoy seeing others progress as well!

Good luck
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Member Swings
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Member Swings › My Swing (FooFader)