or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Did the throw your clubs drill, first time ever
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Did the throw your clubs drill, first time ever

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

Went out to an empty field, tied shopping bags to the clubs to make them easy to find and started throwing clubs. 

 

First off, I was "pulling" my throws, then I figured out how to throw them straight. Does a "pull" throwing a club correspond to the same thing in a real swing? 

post #2 of 19

I didn't realize there was a club throwing drill. I played with a guy today that threw his clubs, but I don't think they helped his swing at all :-D.

 

But in all seriousness, couldn't the timing of you letting the clubs fly affect the direction they travel?

post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

 

 

First off, I was "pulling" my throws, then I figured out how to throw them straight. Does a "pull" throwing a club correspond to the same thing in a real swing? 

 

Yeah more Key #2 and more pitch elbow ;-)

post #4 of 19
There are days when I WISHED that I threw clubs......
post #5 of 19
I suspect a "pull" when throwing clubs would translate to a fade/slice with a real swing but just guessing and it's quite likely that it doesn't mean anything other than when you let go of the grip. I first read about the club throwing drill in Fred Shoemaker's book "Extraordinary Golf", IIRC it's more about keys 2&3 but, as you know, better key 2 and 3 often leads to a better key 4.

Never tried the club throwing exercise but I've always wanted to. Was it fun?
post #6 of 19

How could it not be fun?

 

Nowhere really springs to mind where I could go and practice that drill and not fall foul of some authority or other. I'd love to hear whether the drill has a positive effect on your swing.

 

I remember reading the Shoemaker book. I enjoyed it - but I didn't really know what else concrete to take from it apart from throwing your clubs for practice.

post #7 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by birlyshirly View Post

I remember reading the Shoemaker book. I enjoyed it - but I didn't really know what else concrete to take from it apart from throwing your clubs for practice.

Totally agree on that.

His putting book however was awesome! I read that one first so I was really looking forward to the full swing book, disappointing that it was so thin on material that you could actually use to improve.

Highly recommend "Extraordinary Putting: Transforming the Whole Game", great read and has lots of really good putting drills and concepts.
post #8 of 19

I think, on some level, I knew he'd written a putting book and I'd discounted it after reading his other book first. I'll try and get a copy however, if it's as good as you say.

post #9 of 19
Thread Starter 

So when I pulled my throw, it felt like a late "release" not an early one. When I threw them straight, I let it go early. My instructor gave me the drill to feel the hands going more forward and throwing them, they did feel forward, but I only got in 15 throws or so. There was so much geese poop (or geese guava, heh heh) on the field, next time I'll try and sneak on the soccer field.

 

I tried recapturing the feeling at the range immediately after. To be honest, I don't think the throwing was responsible for my getting the hands more forward in the screen caps below, but my instructor's instruction. I need to be less self conscious next time I try it - I got some weird what the hell is this guy doing looks from maintenance and morning runners/walkers but they moved on. Yeah, it was fun.

 

It requires more effort than a regular swing but I was really trying to get the club out there. It's almost like javelin or something. I was starting to breath heavy. Threw wedge, 6 and 3 irons. I dunno, 100, 125 yards? 20 ft high?

 

 

post #10 of 19

Throw a rock over a wall instead ;-)

 

post #11 of 19

Not a partner drill then...

post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Throw a rock over a wall instead ;-)

 

I think my neighbor might complain if I start launching boulders over the fence :-$.

post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post

Throw a rock over a wall instead a2_wink.gif



Just doing mirror work. Was working on same exact move. This is a great drill. So focused on the hands forgot about the hips.

Rock throw requires less space, less chance of hitting someone. Wasn't there a golf cart tire drill similar to this?
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post

Rock throw requires less space, less chance of hitting someone. Wasn't there a golf cart tire drill similar to this?

 

 Yeah or you can use a sandbag or medicine ball

post #15 of 19

The ‘throwing the club’ drill is very interesting. To begin with the club will go spinning up into the air to the left of the target. However with a little practice you will soon be throwing the club low and straight.

 

It’s very exciting when you see yourself on video and you are in the perfect impact position, with tremendous lag and the hands ahead of the ball.

 

However the hard part is trying to repeat the swing when there’s the small matter of the ball in the way!

 

I did the drill almost every day for 4 weeks. What it taught me was;

 

  1. That the correct weight shift is a very natural movement. It is simply the throwing motion that we have been doing since we were kids. You don’t even need a golf club for this drill – throw a tennis ball etc.

 

     2. That lag is automatically created by the correct weight shift. It’s unconscious and simply a by product of the correct movement/ sequence.

 

     3. The feeling of the club going straight through the ball rather than immediately flipping left

 

 

  • Highly recommend this drill.
post #16 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasgowsGreen View Post
 

The ‘throwing the club’ drill is very interesting. To begin with the club will go spinning up into the air to the left of the target. However with a little practice you will soon be throwing the club low and straight.

 

It’s very exciting when you see yourself on video and you are in the perfect impact position, with tremendous lag and the hands ahead of the ball.

 

However the hard part is trying to repeat the swing when there’s the small matter of the ball in the way!

 

I did the drill almost every day for 4 weeks. What it taught me was;

 

  1. That the correct weight shift is a very natural movement. It is simply the throwing motion that we have been doing since we were kids. You don’t even need a golf club for this drill – throw a tennis ball etc.

 

     2. That lag is automatically created by the correct weight shift. It’s unconscious and simply a by product of the correct movement/ sequence.

 

     3. The feeling of the club going straight through the ball rather than immediately flipping left

 

 

  • Highly recommend this drill.

 

Ah, so you got the lefts initially too?

 

What the screen caps didn't show - no time to upload video - is me leaving the hips "behind" because I was so focused on the hands. Pretty ugly looking, lungy. A little bit like Chi Chi Rodriguez as a matter of fact. While my hands are ahead of the ball, the left wrist is flippy. After studying the video and mirror work, I figured some things out and got my hips much more up and forward along with the hands and the left wrist is looking more bowed. Hope to try this out in the next time out on the range.

 

Almost feels like this but more extension:

 

post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevets88 View Post
 

 

Ah, so you got the lefts initially too?

 

What the screen caps didn't show - no time to upload video - is me leaving the hips "behind" because I was so focused on the hands. Pretty ugly looking, lungy. A little bit like Chi Chi Rodriguez as a matter of fact. While my hands are ahead of the ball, the left wrist is flippy. After studying the video and mirror work, I figured some things out and got my hips much more up and forward along with the hands and the left wrist is looking more bowed. Hope to try this out in the next time out on the range.

 

Almost feels like this but more extension:

 

She looks like she feels pretty good!

post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmac View Post
 

Throw a rock over a wall instead ;-)

 

@mvmac , does the rock follow the Ball Flight laws?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Did the throw your clubs drill, first time ever