or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Key to Steeper Shoulder Turn are the Hips?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Key to Steeper Shoulder Turn are the Hips?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

I've been working on developing a steeper shoulder turn in an attempt to stop having my chin get "bumped" by my left shoulder on the backswing to the point I can't see the ball in my foveal vision.

 

While I was working on this, I realized that a big part of getting a steeper shoulder turn is actually related to the hips moving correctly.  Essentially, the right hip rotating behind me and up allows the shoulders to turn at the correct angle.  @saevel25 gave me this exact advice in my swing thread weeks ago, but it didn't click until last night.

 

My question is: am I thinking about this correctly and if so, does anyone have any drills they've successfully used to get a steeper turn?  TIA

post #2 of 15

Yes, you are thinking about it correctly.

 

A good drill is to put an alignment stick through your two front belt loops and rehearse getting it on a slant (i.e.. right hip higher than left hip for a right hander). You'll quickly see that your right leg needs to straighten more to make this happen. There's a video of Erik doing this on the site here somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find it. Hopefully he remembers the link.  

post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
 

Yes, you are thinking about it correctly.

 

A good drill is to put an alignment stick through your two front belt loops and rehearse getting it on a slant (i.e.. right hip higher than left hip for a right hander). You'll quickly see that your right leg needs to straighten more to make this happen. There's a video of Erik doing this on the site here somewhere, but I'm damned if I can find it. Hopefully he remembers the link.  

 

 

 

Or this!!! :-D 

post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 

Perfect, thanks guys!  It's crazy to me how much of what I've read and been told about the golf swing that is actually incorrect.  In the first lesson I ever took, the guy told me to make sure I kept my trail knee flexed, don't straighten it.  I guess that's why there's an entire thread about that "myth".

post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0512 View Post

 

 

My question is: am I thinking about this correctly and if so, does anyone have any drills they've successfully used to get a steeper turn?  TIA

 

Yep you're thinking about it correctly. @saevel25 already posted the stick video so I'll share this

 

 Importance of the Hips in the Golf Swing 

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks, Mike.  I'll check out that link when I get home tonight.

post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0512 View Post

Perfect, thanks guys!  It's crazy to me how much of what I've read and been told about the golf swing that is actually incorrect.  In the first lesson I ever took, the guy told me to make sure I kept my trail knee flexed, don't straighten it.  I guess that's why there's an entire thread about that "myth".

he could have told you that to keep you from reverse pivoting , if you slide your hips in the backswing and streighten your back leg your weight will go to the front foot. jmo.
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post

he could have told you that to keep you from reverse pivoting , if you slide your hips in the backswing and streighten your back leg your weight will go to the front foot. jmo.

I haven't seen that happen. And I don't think anyone is saying to slide the hips forward during the backswing…?
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

I haven't seen that happen. And I don't think anyone is saying to slide the hips forward during the backswing…?

sorry.
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by motsco View Post

sorry.

Give us an example or elaborate if you could?
post #11 of 15
I believe side bending is a big component of shoulders turning steeper in the backswing, is it not? You may be doing too much turning and not enough bending.

I remember a drill I used for the backswing that taught me the feel of it. Stand straight up with your arms fully extended in front of you and put your hands together as if you were gripping a club. Turn away from the "target," (while still standing straight up) 90 degrees. From there, just bend down into your spine inclination to get into a top of backswing position. You should feel the contraction of your left side abdominals and obliques, and a stretch in your right side.

I always liked this drill because it helps with a couple of other good feels, too.
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

I believe side bending is a big component of shoulders turning steeper in the backswing, is it not? You may be doing too much turning and not enough bending.

I remember a drill I used for the backswing that taught me the feel of it. Stand straight up with your arms fully extended in front of you and put your hands together as if you were gripping a club. Turn away from the "target," (while still standing straight up) 90 degrees. From there, just bend down into your spine inclination to get into a top of backswing position. You should feel the contraction of your left side abdominals and obliques, and a stretch in your right side.

I always liked this drill because it helps with a couple of other good feels, too.

 

You mean something like this :-D

 

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by saevel25 View Post

You mean something like this a3_biggrin.gif


Yea, thanks, Matt. This is exactly what I'm referring to. I'm on my phone, so it's kind of a nuisance to find and embed videos.
post #14 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by billchao View Post

I believe side bending is a big component of shoulders turning steeper in the backswing, is it not? You may be doing too much turning and not enough bending.

I remember a drill I used for the backswing that taught me the feel of it. Stand straight up with your arms fully extended in front of you and put your hands together as if you were gripping a club. Turn away from the "target," (while still standing straight up) 90 degrees. From there, just bend down into your spine inclination to get into a top of backswing position. You should feel the contraction of your left side abdominals and obliques, and a stretch in your right side.

I always liked this drill because it helps with a couple of other good feels, too.

I think this is something I have trouble with.  I tend to think about the swing as turning around an axis so I "see" very little bend in my mind's eye.  What sort of thoughts/feels do you focus on to incorporate more bend into your backswing?

post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog0512 View Post
 

What sort of thoughts/feels do you focus on to incorporate more bend into your backswing?

 

- Left shoulder going down

- Shoulder feeling like they work more like a teeter totter

- Left hip, left knee going down

 

 

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Instruction and Playing Tips
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Practice Range › Instruction and Playing Tips › Key to Steeper Shoulder Turn are the Hips?