or Connect
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tobacco products on golf course
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tobacco products on golf course

post #1 of 171
Thread Starter 

So I have a membership card for the municipal courses here in Charlotte and so I am on their email blast list. Yesterday I received an email with a survey attached from them asking about what your feelings would be if they decided to ban all tobacco products from all 4 of their golf courses. Questions like, do you use tobacco products, if so what, and do you support banning them on the courses and how would it affect your playing habits at the courses. Thought it was interesting. What are ya'll thoughts on this? Is it a violation of people's rights? Would it help/hurt the golf course revenue? Is it funny that if they do ban them they will have to push it as being safer for the non tobacco users that are on the course but the survey would lead me to believe that they want to know if they would lose revenue and how much if they were to instill the ban before deciding?

post #2 of 171
Sounds like a bad idea.
post #3 of 171

I'm not a tobacco user but that sounds like a terrible idea from both a business and a personal liberty standpoint. I would stop playing that course out of principle and you can guarantee that all the dippers/smokers/cigar smokers (which is a larger chunk of the golfing public) would just go find another muni track to play on.

 

Tobacco use is very much part of golfing culture and of the randon folks I get paired with on the course (outside of my usual foursome) I would say somewhere around 50%+  typically use tobacco products on the course. Your courses must have a deathwish or something because they would be finshed if they tried to institute a ban like this.

post #4 of 171

Although I'd be in favor of a tobacco free course, I don't think it would be in the best financial interests of the course.  For too many smokers, it's one of the few places where they can get together and still smoke with minimal restrictions.  I'm a long time ex-smoker, but I can still remember it well enough to know that it would have been a significant negative for me to have to spend 4 plus hours without being able to smoke.  Having a nicotine fit certainly can't help ones game.  

post #5 of 171
My father gave up bowling when a city ordinance went into effect banning smoking in public businesses. I imagine the same would happen with golf if they did this at the courses here.
post #6 of 171
I dip but use pouches these days so this wouldn't affect me since no one can tell when i have one in (don't spit much and they're quite small). This would be a terrible idea, however.

Now, if they want to ban cigarette butts from the greens, I'm all for that.
post #7 of 171

While I would be in favor of the idea (hugely), it's probably not a great idea. I smoke an occasional cigar, but feel doing so on the golf course just isn't a good idea. Cigarettes are worse, and dip is nasty. In my opinion, none of belongs on the course. 

post #8 of 171

I am for NO smoking in public places, including ones that are outdoors- like a crowded beach or  stadium seating for example. I am dead against any intervention into privately run businesses, for example a private club with paying members not open to the public, should be able to have their own bylaws which may or may not include smoking. How ever that said members of these clubs should have an understanding of what may or may not bother, encroach or disturb fellow members. Show some respect and mannerisms. I don't have a problem with a smoker or cigar smoker on a public golf course, provided I see no evidence of it. No butts on the side of greens or tee boxes, stub them and dispose of them properly. same goes for cigars.

post #9 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
 

While I would be in favor of the idea (hugely), it's probably not a great idea. I smoke an occasional cigar, but feel doing so on the golf course just isn't a good idea. Cigarettes are worse, and dip is nasty. In my opinion, none of belongs on the course. 

Not sure why you feel that way, the only thing I don't like is smelling someone smoking marijuana. The smell of that seems to travel further any cigar or cigarette. I don't smoke and think it's a horrible idea.

post #10 of 171

Does weed count as tobacco? Should they rename Tobacco Road Golf Course.

post #11 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
 

Does weed count as tobacco? Should they rename Tobacco Road Golf Course.

Technically, unless you are in a state where it is legal, it would already be considered banned I think.

post #12 of 171

Any public course instituting that policy would be making a major mistake at a time when golf is declining in popularity. I'd consider it a "nanny rule" and would not play there purely on principle.

post #13 of 171
Still not legal to smoke dope in public in legal states. People do it but it's tacky IMO. Really no reason to with edibles.
post #14 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2512 View Post

Still not legal to smoke dope in public in legal states. People do it but it's tacky IMO. Really no reason to with edibles.

Good to know.

post #15 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

Not sure why you feel that way, the only thing I don't like is smelling someone smoking marijuana. The smell of that seems to travel further any cigar or cigarette. I don't smoke and think it's a horrible idea.

 

It's mostly only an issue when someone else in my group is smoking. Even though golf is played outdoors, there's still no escaping the smoke sometimes. The cigarette butts all over the place is another issue. I don't understand why smokers feel it's okay to dispose of them on the ground, anywhere. It's trash, plain and simple. Smokers already seem disgusting to many non-smokers, no reason to add littering to the list.

 

And as for dip, one of my occasional playing partners dips, and he carries an empty water bottle to spit in. It's extremely foul.

post #16 of 171

I quit several years ago but I don't begrudge anyone the ability to smoke outside unless it's in a crowd. With that being said, I hate (did even when I smoked) to see cigarette butts everywhere. I don't want to putt over someones tobacco spit. Cigar butts usually dissolve quickly, but there is a specific place for them. If more people used common sense, we wouldn't need so many dang laws.

 

::steps off soapbox::

post #17 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilmar2k View Post
 

 

It's mostly only an issue when someone else in my group is smoking. Even though golf is played outdoors, there's still no escaping the smoke sometimes. The cigarette butts all over the place is another issue. I don't understand why smokers feel it's okay to dispose of them on the ground, anywhere. It's trash, plain and simple. Smokers already seem disgusting to many non-smokers, no reason to add littering to the list.

 

And as for dip, one of my occasional playing partners dips, and he carries an empty water bottle to spit in. It's extremely foul.

I can see your point about people in your group smoking and it being annoying. As far as the butts being all over the place I rarely see them. I have no doubt they are there but I see bottles/cans/wrappers much more often than cigarette butts. I've never played with someone who dipped/chewed tobacco though, but I agree it's pretty nasty walking around with container full of tobacco spit.

post #18 of 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremie Boop View Post
 

I can see your point about people in your group smoking and it being annoying. As far as the butts being all over the place I rarely see them. I have no doubt they are there but I see bottles/cans/wrappers much more often than cigarette butts. I've never played with someone who dipped/chewed tobacco though, but I agree it's pretty nasty walking around with container full of tobacco spit.

 

I am equally annoyed by any trash on the ground (bottles, cans, wrappers, etc), not just butts. I just can't figure out how smokers think it's acceptable to flick their butts out of the cart, car window, etc. as if they were not garbage. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Golf Talk
TheSandTrap.com › Golf Forum › The Clubhouse › Golf Talk › Tobacco products on golf course