IGNORED

"Packaged" Golf Swing Manuals Like David Leadbetter's "A Swing"

Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I've recently picked up a copy of David Leadbetter's "The A Swing", and whilst I'm still reading and digesting the content, I can already appreciate having a succinct set of teaching points and cues to relate to for the building of an entire swing.

There is so much information on different aspects of a golf swing out there on internet forums, written in articles, publications etc. Much of this information is contradictory, does not relate to the rest of the swing and is discombobulated.

I'm sure there are plenty of people around here who discount Leadbetter's theories, so my question doesn't relate to what your opinion is about the A Swing.

What Id like to know is: are there other publications out there that succinctly outline the bio-mechanical rationale, steps to achieving a certain style of full swing and practice progressions to learn the swing?

As an amateur golfer, having a guide for all components of the swing neatly packaged into a book is very helpful and appealing. And interesting.

Edited by Hugh Jars

I spent quite a lot of time with the A Swing. The book is really good and well written and done properly the swing works. For me however I found i got too wristy due to the early wrist action and was prone to topping the ball. When I got it down the contact was spot on. I have since been working on a simpler swing but have found the prayer grip and shorter backswing invaluable to by new, less wristy swing (think Tommy Armour III but not a fast :-)).

Other "manuals" i have are S&T which despite not being for me I still find very interesting to read from time to time as there still a lot of things that are valid for other swing types.

Tom Watson's "The Timeless Swing" is a very good book. Not really a "packaged" golf manual but still full of tips and drills plus a good read in general.

• Thumbs Up 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to "Packaged" Golf Swing Manuals Like David Leadbetter's "A Swing"

Very shrewd of him to start with the "A Swing."

Now he can seamlessly move on to the B Swing, C Swing, etc. He's got the next 25 years mapped out, more than enough to keep him busy the rest of his life.

• Administrator

Look at the golf swings on the PGA Tour. Though they all have five things in common… the differences between them number into the tens or low hundreds (depending on how picky you want to get about it).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's the nature of a golf swing, even with the pro's. Every body shape and combination is different and so each swing has been developed to be the most effective for that body type and shape. Hence, different ways they addresss the ball e.g. distance between feet in stance, foot turn out amount (or none at all), amount of knee bend etc. Some you'll notice don't begin with poor posture and position, but as they move into their swing they get into great position and and swing beautifully.

The long and short of it is that you are only likely to emmulate a pro is if you have their body shape and size/ composition. And then you have to remove any physical restrictions you may have in the mobile segments of your golf swing stack. It's best just to be the best you can be with what you've got.

5 hours ago, Fuddalan said:

That's the nature of a golf swing, even with the pro's. Every body shape and combination is different and so each swing has been developed to be the most effective for that body type and shape. Hence, different ways they addresss the ball e.g. distance between feet in stance, foot turn out amount (or none at all), amount of knee bend etc. Some you'll notice don't begin with poor posture and position, but as they move into their swing they get into great position and and swing beautifully.

The long and short of it is that you are only likely to emmulate a pro is if you have their body shape and size/ composition. And then you have to remove any physical restrictions you may have in the mobile segments of your golf swing stack. It's best just to be the best you can be with what you've got.

I think there’s some truth to this. Certainly among the extremes of body shape/flexibility. But don’t you think a persons ‘feels’ come into play? Furyk doesn’t have a physical issue as to why he swings the way he does. Many people of different physical shape can emulate his swing but not near as effective as he does. I can get into the position of many different pro golfers ...but to perform that position and hit the ball the way they do is another story. I don’t have the timing or perhaps the proprioception they have to perform it like they do. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Agree and appreciate @iacasand @Vinsk comments. I have read much and have had many lessons over my golfing life. At 73, with physical restrictions, still recovering from 2017 injuries and never being a great golfer anyway, I just try to emulate the commonalities of the golf swing. And I find I absolutely must simplify swing thoughts and "feels" so that unnecessary tension doesn't creep in. When I do that, the mechanical golfer stays in the background. Hope springs eternal and I believe I will get my HC back down this year. Good topic. Best, Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I'm not a fan of single swing methods. Everyone has idiosyncrasies that may not be detrimental to their golf swing.

Or say someone does a certain aspect well but it doesn't fit the model, I don't think it's productive to change something for the sake of fitting the model.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1822 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!