IGNORED

Help with getting my driver under control.. PLEASE

YoungTad
Note: This thread is 1837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’m just about too head off too the range in over an hour, and I need help with what too work on in my drive.

the slice is immense. I’m still hitting 200-220 yards, but that’s aiming left too compensate for the slice. I think if I was able too strike the ball well, I would  have more yardage, rather than carrying a 40 yard slice.

any tips?

If it helps, my driver has settings 8.5-13.5, left/neutral/right.

Also, I’m hitting with 9.5 at the minute and the height of my driver shots are crazy, I think nearly too much loft 

3 minutes ago, YoungTad said:

any tips?

Hard to tell without some video, but when I slice I feel it is often when I don't get a good shoulder turn and I end up swinging across the ball (outside to inside). So a swing thought that seems to help me is to get my left shoulder under my chin (I am right handed), which means a good shoulder turn.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, Carl3 said:

Hard to tell without some video, but when I slice I feel it is often when I don't get a good shoulder turn and I end up swinging across the ball (outside to inside). So a swing thought that seems to help me is to get my left shoulder under my chin (I am right handed), which means a good shoulder turn.

I have a few swing videos, but with no ball, can I just upload them too this website?

i haven’t even thought of shoulder turning 

9 minutes ago, YoungTad said:

I have a few swing videos, but with no ball, can I just upload them too this website?

i haven’t even thought of shoulder turning 

Upload your video to YouTube then copy/paste the url here. Even better if you make a ‘My Swing’ thread so it can be viewed and managed better. Cheers.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

19 minutes ago, YoungTad said:

Swings with no ball aren't really your real swing. Make a swing thread with videos of you hitting a ball.

For now I'll just say swing more right, feel like you send the clubhead towards first base.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

As the other guys have suggested, posting a video of yourself hitting a shot or two, whether its into a net or on the practice range, will help immensely.  Post them here:

https://thesandtrap.com/forums/forum/13-member-swings/

Be sure to read the Hidden Contents, to understand how to post the video, and how to take the video from the appropriate angles.  In the meantime, here are a couple of threads specifically addressing the slice problem:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I can slice, I can dice, I can make julienne fries. It's about club face to club path. If your club face is open to your club path you will slice the ball. If your club face is closed to your club path you will hook the ball. If it is square to club path the ball will go straight. And even if you get everything right, you can still get it wrong and slice it occasionally. Just don't beat up yourself. Golf is hard. 

Okay... the ball may be going high because you're presenting an open club face at impact. An open club face increases loft. You're probably presenting about 14 degrees of loft instead of 9.5 degrees of loft. Now if you're also swinging up that adds dynamic loft. You want to swing up. You just don't want a total of 18 degrees of loft or whatever you're getting. 

But for now while you're learning how to hit your driver, when you're playing on the course hit the longest club you can keep on the short grass off the tee. It'll be cheaper and you'll have more fun. Practice with your driver in addition to your 7 iron. Then when you start hitting your driver better at the range, take it onto the course. 

Read the thread on How to take a video. You'll want two angles: from the rear or "down the line" and the caddie view or face on.

• Like 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

The two things that helped me tame my driver: number one, posture. Before I was too upright. Make sure the shaft of the club and your lower spine form approximately a 90 degree angle. Number two, keep elbows together the entire swing until well past impact. This is enormously important and many people fail. At address I hold my elbows as close as possible to a point where it starts to hurt a little, and keep them in the same position on the backswing and the downswing. The benefits are well worth practicing this movement

Edited by arturo28mx

Yes I have ongoing issues with my driver always had a fade issue then after a break of 5 months I had a draw to pull issues .. I know it's a just a matter of putting time on the range and working on the basics for me then after around 100+ drives over a couple of practice sessions at the range I get some really good repeat drives ... but then my putting or the short game goes on me AAARRGHHH 

But that's why it's such an addictive game for all us players that take it seriously because it's a hard game that when it does click and you feel 10 foot tall and bulletproof ... 

Go Foxy Go

Note: This thread is 1837 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!