IGNORED

Standing Closer to Ball I Get a Draw - Bad?

Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I found out today at the range, that if I setup closer to the ball by 1-3 inches, I naturally hit a draw. The closer I stand the stronger the draw is. I expect this may be unique to my imperfect swing, and how I naturally compensate.  The ball comes out shorter and lower for me too.  It feels slightly awkward too in the sense my follow through is unusual when i do this.

Is this a bad thing to use moving forward when I want to pull out that kind of shot? Like it feels like I'm purposely hitting bad form, which sounds like something I shouldn't try to get used to. Or is it maybe a "use your swing" type of thing, and if ain't broke don't fix it. 

Would you continue to practice this shot for a low draw? Or in long term should I stay trying to produce a draw the "right" way?

Strange.  I back away to force the ball off the inner part of the head.  You must be in your head big time to ring up a draw by getting closer.  One more thing on that.  I would not expect that a single day at the range is any kind of conclusive evidence of this phenomenon.  Can you reproduce those results?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Can you reproduce those results?

good point. Idk yet :)  I'll see what what happens on my next few range sessions. My first 3-4 shots all came out like that today, until i realized that i wasn't setting up properly. Then I toyed w/ it for the rest of the bucket here and there and produced the exact same result.  Also just to note, the ball starts right at my target line, but then draws.

• iacas changed the title to Standing Closer to Ball I Get a Draw - Bad?
5 hours ago, bones75 said:

Would you continue to practice this shot for a low draw? Or in long term should I stay trying to produce a draw the "right" way?

Depends on what you're trying to do. A specific shot shape isn't the primary goal of improvement, IMO. Improve your mechanics and play whatever shot shape you naturally have.

It's good to know how to pull off that low draw when you do need it, though.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@billchao Good clarification. I have no intention of trying to make that my regular swing. Only meant to see if it's something I should rely on for a good escape shot when needed.. Or if anybody else has used this technique for the same.  (low draw, w/ 80-90% of my normal distance carry-wise). 

I'm not Alfred Einstein but that seems backwards to me. 

I learned a long time ago from a guy named Seve Ballesteros (not in person, but on tv) that if you want to hit a slight draw, you should back about an inch AWAY from the ball. That way your swing is a bit flatter and you take advantage of the dynamic loft of the club to hit a draw. If you want to hit a slight fade you move an inch CLOSER to the ball and your swing plane becomes more vertical and again thanks to the dynamic loft you hit a slight fade. 

I'm trying to remember Seve's exact words but it was something like if I raise the butt of the club by 1 inch I add 5 yards of fade, if I lower the butt of the club by 1 inch I add 5 yards of draw. Something like that.

Anyway, I can't ask Seve because he's no longer with us. But I have used his method. I try to do this to counter either a left-right or a right-left wind. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

10 hours ago, bones75 said:

@billchao Good clarification. I have no intention of trying to make that my regular swing. Only meant to see if it's something I should rely on for a good escape shot when needed.. Or if anybody else has used this technique for the same.  (low draw, w/ 80-90% of my normal distance carry-wise). 

If it works when you need it, trouble shots are good to have in your toolbox.

10 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It sounds to me like @bones75 is hitting a low pull. Might even be heeled a bit so it closes the face at impact.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I learned a long time ago from a guy named Seve Ballesteros (not in person, but on tv) that if you want to hit a slight draw, you should back about an inch AWAY from the ball. That way your swing is a bit flatter and you take advantage of the dynamic loft of the club to hit a draw. If you want to hit a slight fade you move an inch CLOSER to the ball and your swing plane becomes more vertical and again thanks to the dynamic loft you hit a slight fade. 

I'm trying to remember Seve's exact words but it was something like if I raise the butt of the club by 1 inch I add 5 yards of fade, if I lower the butt of the club by 1 inch I add 5 yards of draw. Something like that.

Anyway, I can't ask Seve because he's no longer with us. But I have used his method. I try to do this to counter either a left-right or a right-left wind. 

Was that Albert’s cousin?😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Was that Albert’s cousin?😜

Lesser known but considerably smarter brother. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

You're changing your swing path to compensate for the fact you're standing closer. What you're doing is rotating your hands earlier through impact and thus presenting a more closed club face in relation to the target line.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Note: This thread is 1817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!