IGNORED

Which Club as My 14th?

Note:Β This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've got 13 clubs in my bag right now -Β 

Driver, 3W, 3H, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, 56degree wedge, 60degree wedge, my XAct chipper, and my putter.Β 

My options for the 14th club is a 5W, 5H, 4i, or a 64degree wedge. Which club would you go with?

51 minutes ago, Rabidcatfan said:

I've got 13 clubs in my bag right now -Β 

Driver, 3W, 3H, 5i, 6i, 7i, 8i, 9i, PW, 56degree wedge, 60degree wedge, my XAct chipper, and my putter.Β 

My options for the 14th club is a 5W, 5H, 4i, or a 64degree wedge. Which club would you go with?

That's a big gap between your PW (probably 45 degrees) and your next wedge, the 56.Β  You might want to go with a 48 or 52 degree wedge toΒ fill in that gap.

I second a GW, but assuming your PW is 45Β° or 46Β°, I think the GW should be 50Β°.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Gap wedge

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'd try a 5 wood and see if that 3 wood needs to be in there.Β  Other than that...there is no reason to believe that 14 is better than 13...or 12, or 11, or 10.Β  It is better, for me, to play multiple shots with fewer clubs than to carry an extra just because I'm allowed to.Β  Personally...I'd rather carry a 4 iron than a 64.Β  If a 58, or 60, won't get the job done...I need to stay away from those places.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Gap wedge

Only because he already has a chipper in the bag, right? 😜

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

11 minutes ago, billchao said:

Only because he already has a chipper in the bag, right? 😜

Exactly!

Now, dump the Β 60Β° wedge and put a 4-hybrid in the bag, and you’re done! Β :-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Some form of gap wedge would probably be your best bet. If you are playing modern GI irons, Most likely your PW is 44-46Β°. So I'd get 50Β° wedge and call it good.

What's in Shane's Bag?Β  Β  Β 

Ball: 2022 :callaway:Β Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8Β° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple DiamondΒ Β H: :callaway:Β Apex Pro 21 20Β°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway:Β Jaws Raw 50Β°, 54Β°, 60Β° UST Recoil 110Β Putter: :odyssey:Β Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Really looks like the only thing missing is the gap wedge.Β  But the difference between the 3h and 5i must be considerable.Β  There will be par 3s you will hate because of this.

Definitely consider a gap wedge with a lower bounce for flexibility around the green. AΒ 50, 52, or even a 54 with 8-10 degrees of bounce could help. Traditional 56’s. An often have 12-14 degrees of bounce and are great for soft fluffy sand and thick rough. Β A lower bounce 52 could help on those thinner lies or harder ground. Β 

• 4 weeks later...

In the last few weeks, I've taken into account the comments on the thread. IΒ have taken a closer look at the tools at my disposal, played some rounds with varying clubs, began to really focusΒ on my lofts and keeping my gaps close and now my bag consists of my Driver, 3W, 21Β° 3H, 26Β° 5H, 6-9i, 48Β° PW, 52Β° AW, 56Β° SW, 60Β° LW, XAct chipper, and my putter. I feel this keeps my gaps close while still allowing me to stay within the 14 club limit and keep my chipper which has become an awesome tool for me around the green. I have found that this combination of clubs has yielded my best scores yet.Β I really appreciate the feedback!

I am sure that you just filled a big hole.Β  Let us know how this works out for you.

Over lots of time, if I were you, I would work in lots and lots and lots of practice with your various wedges (at the range) on chipping.Β  You eventually want to get rid of the chipper.Β  It will be superfluous, and it will free up another spot in the bag which you will eventually want.Β  Not to mention that it is not - strictly speaking - a legal club in all circles.

I'd take the chipper out of the bag pull the head off and use it to roast hot dogs over a campfire. I know there are a hundred threads on this. I also know that there are golfers out there who say "You'll have to pull my chipper from my cold dead hands." But I truly believe in about 15 minutes of practice you can learn to choke down on your hybrid and use it as well as your chipper. And in 30 minutes of practice you can learn to use your wedge as well as your chipper.

Pick up a 50 degree gap wedge and then look at the top end.

How far do you carry your 3W, your 3H and your 5Iron?Β 

Based on that I'd look to fill in a club that fit what was missing up there.Β 

But again, I'm anti-chipper-guy.Β 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

4 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I'd take the chipper out of the bag pull the head off and use it to roast hot dogs over a campfire. I know there are a hundred threads on this. I also know that there are golfers out there who say "You'll have to pull my chipper from my cold dead hands." But I truly believe in about 15 minutes of practice you can learn to choke down on your hybrid and use it as well as your chipper. And in 30 minutes of practice you can learn to use your wedge as well as your chipper.

Pick up a 50 degree gap wedge and then look at the top end.

How far do you carry your 3W, your 3H and your 5Iron?Β 

Based on that I'd look to fill in a club that fit what was missing up there.Β 

But again, I'm anti-chipper-guy.Β 

Careful there.Β  I think the guy is angling for a well-paid testimonial...

20 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Careful there.Β  I think the guy is angling for a well-paid testimonial...

Well in that case replace the chipper with THE HAMMER X!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POW!!!!!!!!!
BAM!!!!!!!!!

"sound of jet plane flying over"...……… 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs.Β 

A mix I am forever tinkering with.Β 

Phil says you should add a 2nd driver - 1 that is your bomber, and another that you can hit a cut with and keep in play.

Without knowing your wedge yardages it's hard to tell if you need another wedge but if you can chip with your hybrid, then you can dump the chipper and get another hybrid for the 3h-5i gap.

Then again if you add a 4h you will have to figure out whichΒ hybrid is best to use as a chipper...so just chip with your 3 wood. Well now that I've typed that I realize that maybe you need a 5 wood, and you could use that as a chipper, instead of the hybrid (and instead of the chipper)

Players play, tough players win!

Note:Β This thread is 1801 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!