IGNORED

Can't Read Greens

Note: This thread is 1779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Never been really good at reading greens but the last 6 months or so it's seems to be really bad.  Yesterday, I shot 81 and 8 putts in the 3-6 foot range, some for birdie some for par and only made 1. All misreads.  My feel for speed has been pretty good but unless it's a tap in, it ain't going. I see no break, it breaks 6 inches.  I see a ball outside it goes straight.  I'm lost. Tips?  

Edited by Tiga Tiga Woods Yall

• Administrator

Learn AimPoint.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Can't Read Greens

How many times have you made a putt you were only trying to get close...or mishit something that went in?  Pick a line, and a pace, roll it and see what happens.  I understand your frustration but your experience is far from exceptional.  We all play break that isn't there or fail to account for break that is there.  

My advice...based on my own failures...would be to play the shorter putts with a little more pace and a little less break.  Curling everything in is great when it works but really frustrating when it doesn't.  Golf is about distance and direction and no matter how well, or poorly, we play...we only get both right 18 times per round.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Aim point here as well.  Really helped me

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

The pros only make 50% from 8 feet.   It may be your expectations are too high.   I completely agree with the previous responses, learn Aimpoint, you'll thank us later, promise!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

You need to learn to read the greens with your feet. Where does your weight want to settle? We played a course set up on a hilly nob today, and the greens can be a devil to read! There are greens built into, lets say, a right to left sloping hillside. When you get up there to putt, it looks like the putt should break right, since the green is built into the hill and looks like it's sloping the opposite way. But it doesn't! The green still breaks to the left because it's just marginally less slanted than the total hillside. 

These are optical illusions that course designers use to fool you. I can't claim to totally understand Aimpoint, but I understand that feeling the contours of the course with your feet is a large part of it. I found this out years ago, and if I'd been smarter I might be a millionaire today! 

When you are on the course, you have the feel the game with your your whole body! 

Way better to take an in person lesson. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 9:26 PM, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

How many of you took a lesson vs the video? 

Lesson.  I now can usually get the break right, but still struggle with the speed.  Typically end up 2 putting which sure beats the 3 and 4 I commonly did.........

Remember when reading posts...…. Communication: 80% Body Language; 15% Tone & 5% Actual Words
We'd all be best selling authors if we could communicate in the written word as well as we would like.

:aimpoint:    :bushnell:    :sunmountain:   :ogio:   :titleist:
:mizuno:  Mizuno ST180 Driver
:ping:  Ping G400 fairway 3 
:cleveland:  Cleveland HB Launcher Iron set  4-PW  50/56/60 CBX Wedges
:callaway:  64 Calloway Lob Wedge
 :scotty_cameron:    Scotty Camron GOLO 3

Note: This thread is 1779 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!