phedrick

If You Had to Take One Club From You Bag, Which Would It Be?

61 posts / 4638 viewsLast Reply

I'd lose my longest wood (excl driver).  That varies depending on where I'm playing, between 3w and 4w.

I have a 2 iron that is nearly as long. It would definitely be a club at the long end of the set.

Probably 3 wood because I had a trusty gamer that I recently tried to replace.  I fell for the "the grass is always greener" sentiment.  I just can't hit the new one consistently at all--the head profile is simply way too big for me and feels like I can only hit it thin.  My old trusty has a shallow head profile and I felt a lot more confident with it.  Now, I'm stuck because I spent money on this new one that doesn't perform and now the old trusty is not answering my calls.  I don't blame her.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

32 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

Probably 3 wood because I had a trusty gamer that I recently tried to replace.  I fell for the "the grass is always greener" sentiment.  I just can't hit the new one consistently at all--the head profile is simply way too big for me and feels like I can only hit it thin.  My old trusty has a shallow head profile and I felt a lot more confident with it.  Now, I'm stuck because I spent money on this new one that doesn't perform and now the old trusty is not answering my calls.  I don't blame her.

Been there done that.  If it's a name brand you can sell on PGA Value, 2nd swing or 3 balls.com 

Good luck 

42 minutes ago, xrayvizhen said:

One of the wedges, depending on the conditions anticpated on that particular day.

I love my wedges have a 50, 56, 60 & 65.

Been working on my short game. Since I'm 68 my distance isn't going up.  I can save alot of shots fr 100 yds in.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• TST Affiliates

SuperSpeed
    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo
    • I'm well...thanks. Was doing some Googles....I didn't know you're at 6500-7000 feet elevation...or is that only at Paako?....you must be crushing the ball at that elevation on firm courses. Is Paako the same #1 NM course I read about in the mid 1990's when Golf Digest had a great book rating many of the states and countries best courses....I think Paako had a 5 star rating for value & the course itself...if I recall...the green fee back then was $20-$30????....or am I thinking about another highly ranked NM course?....I know Paako is an expensive course nowadays.....is it cart mandatory or are the 27 holes walkable? Two 78's is incredible on a tough course like Paako....no wonder the gals and guys don't want to play with you...you're a "BALLER" and would shame them.....lol. Is NM always windy?...I hate playing in the wind...it generally not overly windy here. Have you tried the M4...I think that's a really good stick...you could likely find one around $150-$175 if used club inventory is high in NM.
    • From those tees, a driver is a layup for me. If I were playing more forward tees, I would probably still layup. No need to bring big numbers into the picture on this one.
    • I'd hit a knockdown with a 5W off the tee and pitch it up with a wedge. Good looks at birdie. At worst a par. Going for it might net an occasional eagle but also could end up in bogeyville.  But let's be real. I have no idea what my carry with clubs with a 265 carry would be. Using my current distances, I'd hit a low 3W off the tee and a wedge shot or depending upon where my tee shot ended up I might run it up given the wind and all.
    • I hit a low knockdown/punch 3 iron aimed in between the two bunkers on the left. Playing it again in those conditions, I would do the same thing. Since I'm taking a bit off of the 3 iron and it was pretty into the wind, the back bunker wasn't reachable, and I almost never draw or hook with the 3 iron so not worried about the left bunker either. It had a bit more fade than I wanted but I hit it fairly solid and it ended up roughly around the red dot below, which left me with a 40 yd pitch for my second shot.  I think it landed roughly between the yellow line and the right rough and had some fade spin and caught the downslope that starts just up and to the right of the yellow line, you can kinda see where the mowing pattern changes. Can you consistently carry your driver at least 260+ ? Just a month ago in your blog you said you were working on eliminating the slice but it still haunts you every so often, seems like a lot of risk for you to take on considering the area just a couple steps right of the green is most likely going to be a lost ball, two weeks ago you said you only hit 2 out of every 10 bunker shots well, and the fact that the wind was into and off the left which would make any fade/slice move even further right. Why not just hit a long iron/hybrid or 3 wood out there in the 220-240 range and have a short wedge/pitch shot left? 
    • Played in my first tournament of the summer.  Felt a little nervous on the first few holes.  Full swing and short game went well. Course management went poorly in a few spots.  Was -4 going into the hardest hole on the course (#17) and I got too aggressive and hit my drive through the fairway, ended up getting a double and finished the round at -2, 70.  Highlights were wedge shots.  They were sticky all day. Swing is feeling good. Main thought recently has been to feel like the path is coming straight and then left after impact.  For some reason, in my stance, distance from the ball has been getting too close.  So I paid attention to that today.  Putting, which had been not great lately, I focused on my stroke more than the aim.  It seemed to settle me and I was able to make a few more than usual.
  • TST Blog Entries

• Blog Entries

• Today's Birthdays

1. houstongolfguy93
      houstongolfguy93
      (27 years old)
    2. PatCav
      PatCav
      (40 years old)
    3. SARANIK
      SARANIK
      (51 years old)
    4. Shorty
      Shorty
      (60 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...