IGNORED

This Game Makes Me Crazy!

jlbos83
Note: This thread is 1695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had decided to go ahead and create a "My Swing" thread, and see how bad it was.  So, I took out the tripod and cell phone, and hit the range.  I looked at the first video and was stunned!  A year and a half ago I took some lessons, and managed to stop my head swaying back off the ball.  And my strikes improved pretty dramatically.  Lately, I have not been hitting as well as I'd like.  Well, the video made it pretty clear that I had seriously regressed.  By the end of the evening, I was starting to remember what it feels like NOT to have made head go back, and every trip past a mirror has been an opportunity.  I remembered that when the head was going back, my front shoulder was turning more horizontally, rather than down.  It was so obvious in the video.  Yes, it takes a few minutes to set up, but why, oh why, don't I do this regularly?  GRRRR!  Anyway, knowing that I need to iron that out, I will be taking the tripod again next time I hit the range (hopefully Tuesday, if the monsoon allows), and perhaps have something to post where I can break new ground!

I play in our after work league tomorrow, hopefully what I discovered will help a bit.  And then my somewhat regular Saturday outing.  Which will be fun, as it will be a melding of the two groups I play with regularly.

• Like 2

Thats the problem with unmonitored swing changes. Someone says that your setup is too upright and pretty soon you are hunched over the ball completely etc.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, Killa said:

Thats the problem with unmonitored swing changes. Someone says that your setup is too upright and pretty soon you are hunched over the ball completely etc.

In this case, it was more a case of an unmonitored swing.  I wasn't trying to change anything, since my last lessons this spring, though I have been trying to solidify what I was doing.  But, I clearly regressed.  If it is nice this evening, I will see if I have made any progress, then try to work out posting my swing.

• Administrator

That’s how it goes. Especially for a golfer’s “base tendencies.”

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I have to respectfully disagree with the thread title...

...if you weren’t already crazy, you wouldn’t be playing the game in the first place!   :-D

• Like 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

...if you weren’t already crazy, you wouldn’t be playing the game in the first place!   :-D

Ad this to my comment above, then I rest my case...

When you talk about some swing modification that isn't monitored, which I'm guessing means a pro didn't set you up to do it, I can only wonder about myself. I feel I can relate because knowing I had bone spurs in my right shoulder, I protected myself from pain for at least a year before I simply had to have surgery. I have no video od my before and after swings, but I bet i changed things a lot to avoid the pain.

It's a really interesting thought. Why do we swing the way we do? There's probably more reasons than we realize.

Edited by DennisMiller

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

LOL... 😄

Golf is the only sport that either elates you to greatness or drives you to your knees in despair.

* One hole, you actually chip in with a 9-iron (bump 'n run) from roughly 10-12 yards away, and watch the ball follow the line, and drop right in the cup for Birdie! :banana:

* Two or three holes later, and you end up in a very fluffy greenside bunker...
(1) Whiff... ball moves 2" as you blast sand all over the place (hit too far under the ball).
(2) Smash... contact more ball than sand.  Ball hits the "lip" of the bunker, and rolls right back.
(3) SLAM!... angrily, you swing properly but with too much force, sailing the ball out of the bunker and way over to the other side of the green, where it comes to rest on the fringe.
(4) You two-putt for a disastrous quadruple bogey EIGHT on a short makeable Par 4!!! :pound:

:cobra: --- older model 454 Comp, 10.5° face, reg shaft.
:ping: --- old, classic set of i3+ irons, 3W, 5W, 21° Hybrid, etc...
:odyssey:--- an old DF550 blade putter that I just can't part with!
:titleist: --- NXT Tour, DT Tru Soft, and a few prized Pro-V1's 

I have come to the conclusion that I have neither the time nor money to be good at this stupid game. I can take rest in the fact that I don't hack it around the course on most days some days. At least I am getting good exercise have a good hole occasionally.

- Shane

Me what is driving me nuts is when i'm working on my irons, my driver swing regress and when i'm trying to fix my driver my irons regress... 😤

I'm just hoping that "golf craziness", and being posessed by the "golf gods" are two different things. 

My wife has diagnosed me as a full blown "golf junkie", which in my case, is a healthy addiction. 

No, not much of my golf game makes me crazy. Atleast not like some of the crazy stuff I have seen from others while playing. 

Maybe in my case, a "mild crazy" where I need to scratch my head when I miss that 3 footer for par or better. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

10 hours ago, DennisMiller said:

Ad this to my comment above, then I rest my case...

When you talk about some swing modification that isn't monitored, which I'm guessing means a pro didn't set you up to do it, I can only wonder about myself. I feel I can relate because knowing I had bone spurs in my right shoulder, I protected myself from pain for at least a year before I simply had to have surgery. I have no video od my before and after swings, but I bet i changed things a lot to avoid the pain.

It's a really interesting thought. Why do we swing the way we do? There's probably more reasons than we realize.

What I thought I was trying to maintain was set up by a pro, but it has been a while.  I just got sloppy, and regressed back to my older habits.  So now I need to bring back the new habits, or rather work at turning them into habits.

Thinking about it, I had a hernia repaired after the series of lessons. I had a couple (from a different instructor) after that, but he didn't see these things, so I think they have come up in the past few months.  Because there is no way he could have missed what's happening now!

Hitting the ball went much better last night, and I think the video was a little better, but there are things I recognize as things the pro had "fixed" that I am still doing.  I need a little quality time with my phone and computer, and hopefully can get a "My Swing" posted soon, as embarrassing as it may be!

• iacas changed the title to This Game Makes Me Crazy!
Note: This thread is 1695 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!