IGNORED

6-6-6 Tournament

jsgolfer
Note:Β This thread is 1733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've played in a 6-6-6 tournament (red, white and blue) but the course has always pickedΒ the tee location.Β  But we have one coming up whereΒ you get to pick the holes that you play from: front, middle and back tees.Β 

My initial thought is to play the Par 3's, except No, 16Β from the closest spot, as the Par 3's at the course are generally pretty tough.Β  And then play the 3 longest holes from the forward tees.Β  And then play most of the Par 5's from the back tees, as they are 3 hot holes typically anyways.Β  And then probably play a few of the shorter holes from the back tees.Β Β 

Any thoughts to how you would pick the holes you would play?

940687694_PiedmontScorecard.png.43ad7b70b8e63e8e4369fb3ee77852b9.pngΒ Β 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with some of your thoughts.Β  Forward Tee's for long Par 3's and the longest Par 4's.Β  Middle Tee's I would play the Par 5's and short Par 3's, and Back Tee's for the short Par 4's.

Gus
---------------
Β 

They have these 666 things at my home course. Players get their choice on which tees they play from.Β 

It's always the longer holes get the shorter tees for competitive reasons.Β 

All the par 3s are with in range from the tips for our senior league.Β 

The closer teeΒ  advantage at our course is not that big a deal, since the tee boxes are sort of close together. This for a 6600 course from the tipd.Β 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Your course appears to have 4 sets of tee boxes. What colors do front, middle and back correspond to?

It's a fun idea for a tournament, but I think it would be tough to answer your question simply by looking at a scorecard. You would really have to know how the holes set up in order to determine proper strategy.Β 

On my home course, there are a couple holes where an additional 30 yards forward doesn't give a huge benefit, because the extra yardage brings more trouble into play. Instead of hitting driver, I would hit a 3 wood, or a hybrid. Holes like that are ones where I would likely stick with the back tees. But again, without knowing the course, no one here could say which holes those are.

Generally speaking, I'd look for opportunities to turn par 5's into long par 4's, or opportunities to give myself short pitches into par 4 holes.Β 

Unless a par 3 is particularly brutal, I disagree with the strategy of moving forward on those. What I want to do is give myself as many chances for birdie as I can. Hitting a 9 iron vs. a 6 doesn't materially improve my chances to do that.

It's a fun concept, though!

Took a closer look and assuming it is a "red/white/blue" event and the Fazio tees do not come into play, Here is what I would do.

Forward tees on 4, 7, 8, 12, 14, 17. As I said, I wouldn't typically move forward on a par 3, but the difference between 175 and 104 is significant. All the remainder are par 4s/5s where the distance would be significantly shortened.

Middle tees on 1, 6, 9, 10, 13, 15

Back tees on 2, 3, 5, 11, 16, 18

Β 

I think I'd generally agree with @Big C, with a couple of exceptions, mostly because I've played Piedmont once or twice.Β  Remembering that the drive on 18 is a bit downhill, I'd think about playing that from the red tees, it becomes reachable in 2.Β  That would put me on the blue tees on 12, which is fine because of how that fairway narrows down at the end of normal driver range.Β  It would almost be a forced layup from the forward tees.Β  I might also switch 1 and 16.Β  If I remember right, #1 green is pretty protected, so playing it from the blues and leaving a longer approach with more bite wouldn't be bad, while gaining 20 yards on a par 3 is generally a good choice.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 
:ping:Β G5i putter, B60 version
Β :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy:,Β :true_linkswear:, and AshworthΒ shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

I've played in a 6-6-6 tournament (red, white and blue) but the course has always pickedΒ the tee location.Β  But we have one coming up whereΒ you get to pick the holes that you play from: front, middle and back tees.Β 

My initial thought is to play the Par 3's, except No, 16Β from the closest spot, as the Par 3's at the course are generally pretty tough.Β  And then play the 3 longest holes from the forward tees.Β  And then play most of the Par 5's from the back tees, as they are 3 hot holes typically anyways.Β  And then probably play a few of the shorter holes from the back tees.Β Β 

Based solely on the scorecard yardages, I'd play all the par 5s from the forward tees so they're possibly reachable in two and the two longer par 4s to make them easier. I'd play theΒ shortest par 4s from the back tees because there's no big advantage to playing them shorter if I'm hitting less than driver from the tee anyway. I think I'd end up with something like this:

Back - 1, 2, 5, 7, 10, 11

Middle - 4, 6, 13, 14, 16, 17

Front - 3, 8, 9, 12, 15, 18

Of course I have no idea how the course looks, so the layout and topography could change that.

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, Big C said:

Took a closer look and assuming it is a "red/white/blue" event and the Fazio tees do not come into play, Here is what I would do.

I reckon it may well be the other way.Β  Yellow, Blue and White are the men's tees with the Red being the ladies tees.

@jsgolfer - In order to give you a better result, give us approximate distances you can hit your driver, longest iron/hybrid and a PW.  With this kind of data it is easier to suggest which holes are worth playing from the front tees and which ones from the back.  Par 5's in general are better off from the back tees, unless hitting forward tees makes it easily reachable in two (having to step on a 3 wood and having it run on through a narrow 5 yard gap between a water hazard and bunker is not really reachable 😁😁).  Par 4s that need you to hit a very long iron or hybrid in are better off from forward tees.  Par 3s really depends on teh hazards around the green.  The more they are the more lofted a club you want

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator

I don't understand why you'd ever play from longer than you have to. Do you get to choose only six holes to play from the back, middle, and forward tees? Is that what you mean by a 6-6-6?

Around here, a 6-6-6 is six holes best ball, six scramble, and six alternate shot.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

On 8/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, iacas said:

I don't understand why you'd ever play from longer than you have to. Do you get to choose only six holes to play from the back, middle, and forward tees? Is that what you mean by a 6-6-6?

Around here, a 6-6-6 is six holes best ball, six scramble, and six alternate shot.

Yes you play 6 holes from white, 6 holes from blue and 6 from gold (tips), but you get to pick them.

On 8/2/2019 at 4:38 PM, pganapathy said:

I reckon it may well be the other way.Β  Yellow, Blue and White are the men's tees with the Red being the ladies tees.

@jsgolfer - In order to give you a better result, give us approximate distances you can hit your driver, longest iron/hybrid and a PW.  With this kind of data it is easier to suggest which holes are worth playing from the front tees and which ones from the back.  Par 5's in general are better off from the back tees, unless hitting forward tees makes it easily reachable in two (having to step on a 3 wood and having it run on through a narrow 5 yard gap between a water hazard and bunker is not really reachable 😁😁).  Par 4s that need you to hit a very long iron or hybrid in are better off from forward tees.  Par 3s really depends on teh hazards around the green.  The more they are the more lofted a club you want

I hit a driver about 250-260, 225-235 carry. Β PW is 135. Β 3 of the par 3’s have lots of trouble except from the front tees. Β 

Its an interesting way to play the course.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

On 8/2/2019 at 11:55 PM, jsgolfer said:

When I look at this card, let me give you a few examples of which holes you would play from which tee box.Β  Since you didn't give me a distance for your longest iron/hybrid, I would assume it is around 200 to 210 yards.

Hole 1 and 2 you can play from the back tees.Β  Even from front tees you can't reach the green in one, and you don't have more than a PW in after hitting driver.Β  Hole 3, unless you are playing the red tees, it will be difficult to reach it in 2.Β  In that case, look at where your driver and then hybrid shot would end up and play the tee accordingly.Β  You might be able to hit the middle tee for this.Β  Hole 4, you should definitely hit the front tee.Β  Much more lofted club, I would assume 7 or 8 iron, rather than hitting a 3/4 iron into the green.

Holes like 7, 9 and 14, you want to play from the middle or even forward tees.Β  You get mid to short irons in.Β  Assuming you would find it difficult to hit the green with a long iron

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Thanks all for the suggestions. Β If they give us the tee sheet prior to playing, I may change a couple of the tees but;

I’m thinkingΒ 

Front Tees;

4, 7,Β 9, 13, 14, and 15Β 

I could play the middle for 4 but it’s still a 5/6 iron most times and with my natural shot i have toΒ aim at the bunkers right and draw it back, so a little chance of hitting it right into bunkers or hazard andΒ from the front tees its a PW/9-iron.

I can play 7 from the mid tees but a poor drive catches the bunker right and the green is treacherous, so a short iron is much better here. Β Fairway trap not in play from front tee

9 even from the middle tee it is usually a long iron/hybrid, so this is a definite from the white tees, its a sand wedge from here to green with a decent drive

13 i Β usually play from middle and it’s a 5/6 iron, but 9 iron/PW from the front tees, much easier

14 has a really tough second shot, shorter the better, so front tee

15 - see 14

Middle Tees

3, 5, 6, 10, 17 and 18

3 is possibly reachable from the forward tees, but requires two great shots and has traps on right and left and a narrow green, so playing as a 3 shot is not a bad play for me

5 I could play this from the back but a little shorter shot is good, plus can hit hybrid as well

6 can be a 5/6/7 iron depending on location, lots off trouble short and right, could play this from front tee, all trouble goes away and probably a 9 iron or PW

17 can be a mid-long iron, but typically a 7-iron second shot as longΒ as i hit it in the fairway

18 have reached this in two from here, front tee would probably be a definite go for the green, could go back since this is normally a 3 shot hole anyway, especially with the bunkers short and left of the green

Back tees

1, 2, 8, 11, 12, and 16

Can t drive 1 from front and hitting a 20 yard shot over a green isn’t best play, even from back it’s an 8-iron or 7-iron

2 playing 2 from the back, means driver instead of hybrid to same spot

8 might be able to reach this from front tees, but front bunker would be tough to carry so I would be trying to draw it around the bunker so would probably play as 3Β shots anyway

11 is a hybrid regardless of the tee and a short iron to green

12 the hazard is in play from the front tees, and from middle tees im a little short of it an it’s still 250 with two bunkers short and left and one right, so 3 shot hole for me

16 Is 7 iron from back tee

So these are my thoughts. Although I’m playing with @DaveP043and @billchaoΒ On Saturday and Sunday, maybe they will change my mind.Β :beer:

• Like 1

-Jerry

So, I was wrong, we actually pick from the green, white and gold tees.Β  So we play the two front tees and the back tees.Β  Not sure many holes will change but maybe a couple.

@billchaoΒ and @DaveP043Β ,as you guys just played here Sunday (and saw my awful golf game) any additional thoughts?

-Jerry

12 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

So, I was wrong, we actually pick from the green, white and gold tees.Β  So we play the two front tees and the back tees.Β  Not sure many holes will change but maybe a couple.

@billchaoΒ and @DaveP043Β ,as you guys just played here Sunday (and saw my awful golf game) any additional thoughts?

I think you've thought it through pretty well, I wouldn't suggest anything different.Β  Play well!

Dave

:titleist:Β 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 ballsΒ 

53 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

We discussed the possibility of playing from the green tees on Sunday and I think you covered everything. The only thing I can add is leave the first guy at home 😜

• Like 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

36 minutes ago, billchao said:

We discussed the possibility of playing from the green tees on Sunday and I think you covered everything. The only thing I can add is leave the first guy at home 😜

For sure, the second guy was a LOT better player!

Dave

Note:Β This thread is 1733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!