IGNORED

Magazine Articles You Would Like To See?

DennisMiller
Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dearly love the arrival of my monthly golf magazines and I couldn't live without the Golf Channel on my tv. All the same, I'm always disappointed that the instructional articles can't be applied to the conditions where I often play.

I find a distinct weakness that I feel they are not talking about...  When are we going to see articles about how to deal with golf courses that are not in the best condition?

One place I love to play is not what you might think the typical manicured Florida golf course is like. Killian Greens was built on the cheap in 1968. The fairways are bermuda, but the roughs are St Augustine. The bunkers were nothing but dug out holes in the ground and filled with sand, so they are generally rock hard. Most of the tees are crowned instead of being flat. The greens have 4 different grasses on them, sometimes one per green, but often a mixture. Break is always a mystery.

When did you ever see an article on how to play dog track conditions?

• Like 1

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

I never saw in articles on how to play "dog patch/cow pasture" golf courses. Then again, I don't buy any golf magazines. Way too many advertisements for. Only time I might pick one up, is in a waiting room some where. 

What I would like to see put into print is more comprehensive, detailed. Info on what the various causes are, that creat terrible golf shots. After the various causes are given, and discussed, then give info on the fix for those bad shot causes. Discuss, in simple layman terms, the various drills to help cure swing problems. Something along the lines of educating golfers on how to be their own swing guru. Publish a magazine for the golfer. Not a magazine for golf advertisers.

I'd like to see golf magazines geared more for the amature, weekend warrior. Cater more to the golfers who do not have, and most likely never will have a pga tour swing. 

I suspect some golf magazines have done all this in the past, but didn't stay with the subject matter for very long. 

• Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Patch said:

What I would like to see put into print is more comprehensive, detailed. Info on what the various causes are, that creat terrible golf shots. After the various causes are given, and discussed, then give info on the fix for those bad shot causes.

This is largely impossible as there are multiple ways to hit the same bad golf shots. The golf swing is not a simple cause and effect reaction.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

44 minutes ago, billchao said:

This is largely impossible as there are multiple ways to hit the same bad golf shots. The golf swing is not a simple cause and effect reaction.

Naw, I don't agree its impossible. We sent folks to the moon and back. NASA is still in contact with a probe that is leaving, or has already left our solar system. The golf swing is not "rocket science". 

Man invented the golf swing, and man can explain how to fix it when needed.  

My main point is for the magazine to cater more to the golfer, and not so much to the billion dollar golf industry. 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

Naw, I don't agree its impossible.

It's pretty impossible. There's a physics-defined reason for why the ball behaves the way it does, the the possible combination of human movements that bring the club to that point are numerous. Two guys that slice the ball could have different issues in their swing.

8 minutes ago, Patch said:

My main point is for the magazine to cater more to the golfer, and not so much to the billion dollar golf industry. 

The billion dollar golf industry pays the bills. I don't know that the magazine can cater more to the golfer in the manner you described. Hell, you and I have similar handicaps, but I'll bet our games are completely different, as are our interests in even golf-related media. What appeals to you in a magazine might not to me and vice versa. The only thing I know for certain we both enjoy besides golf is this website 😃

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 minutes ago, Patch said:

Naw, I don't agree its impossible. We sent folks to the moon and back. NASA is still in contact with a probe that is leaving, or has already left our solar system. The golf swing is not "rocket science". 

Man invented the golf swing, and man can explain how to fix it when needed.  

C39F3528-B89A-463E-AC6B-C88FFE499A89.thumb.png.5a69703aea56704521cf7f151df61740.pngMy Grandpa was a rocket scientist.....he never broke 80.

• Like 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

9 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

C39F3528-B89A-463E-AC6B-C88FFE499A89.thumb.png.5a69703aea56704521cf7f151df61740.pngMy Grandpa was a rocket scientist.....he never broke 80.

I had an uncle who work on computers for the GEMINI project. He was smart enough not to take up golf.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In My Bag:

• 2 weeks later...

Any magazine with a pull-out centerfold of sexy, curvy Mizuno players' blades.....

• Like 1

—Adam

5 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

Any magazine with a pull-out centerfold of sexy, curvy Mizuno players' blades.....

ROFL - Having just given up Mizuno 900 Hot Metal irons and gone to PING G700 irons, believe me when I tell you my Mizzy friends would definitely agree with you.

I've had a good day if I don't fall out of the cart...

I would like to see an authoritative piece on how to improve/enjoy golf on the cheap.  This is kind of a big deal for me.  I am fairly sure that I will never get custom fitted clubs.  I have read what the benefits are, and I appreciate the concept of following every advantage to the nth degree as much as anyone.  I just can't see dropping that kind of cake on a luxury item when my wife is driving a 10-year old car.  So I am left with lesser options.  And there are sure a lot of them to consider.  Same issue with golf balls, courses, etc.  In fact, there may be enough material on that topic for an entire magazine in itself.  I just don't see much evidence that this is a topic of concern for most golfers.

Cure that Slight Draw.  Forever!   (and on a related note)  Pro tips for minimizing your Distance.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Cantankerish said:

I would like to see an authoritative piece on how to improve/enjoy golf on the cheap.  This is kind of a big deal for me.  I am fairly sure that I will never get custom fitted clubs.  I have read what the benefits are, and I appreciate the concept of following every advantage to the nth degree as much as anyone.  I just can't see dropping that kind of cake on a luxury item when my wife is driving a 10-year old car.  So I am left with lesser options.  And there are sure a lot of them to consider.  Same issue with golf balls, courses, etc.  In fact, there may be enough material on that topic for an entire magazine in itself.  I just don't see much evidence that this is a topic of concern for most golfers.

That would be a single piece of paper, really.   I never have to buy golf balls, I am lucky enough to find enough of them.   As long as clubs fit, they don't have to be expensive or even new.   My driver is 7 years old and I don't see spending a lot of money for new woods as worth it.   eBay is great for both woods (which tend to be standard length) and irons, because I have found ones with my specs (upright + longer than standard).   In fact, I haven't bought woods anywhere else but eBay for 12+ years.  Golf courses don't have to be expensive, in fact playing a cheap goat path is enjoyable when you are with people you enjoy playing with.

But the most important thing is if improving is your goal, invest in lessons over technology.   A new club, device, range finder, etc won't really improve your game.   Lessons and trying new things will.

I'm sure you know all this, but it's worth saying.  Golf magazines exist to sell you stuff.   You really don't need to buy anything other than the basics to have fun.

—Adam

Note: This thread is 1705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!