ALong17

Held up and rushed

11 posts / 734 viewsLast Reply

Went out and played my first 18 today.  I was solo and had a twosome in front of me from 2 on but through the first 9 the next group was 5 holes back so I didn't mind waiting as I was playing my best yet.   Most holes I would get to the tee right after they pulled off onto the fairway.  

Well as I'm teeing off on 14 I notice the group behind is catching up.  Come to 16 and I'm caught between both groups.   At 17 I'm waiting for these guys to te and one hits a bad shot so he hits again.  No biggie, I think it's a one time thing.  

By 18 I'm waiting, the group behind is waiting and these guys are hitting 3 balls a piece, playing them all, and bullshitting around the green while I wait on the fairway to hit my next round.  

By no means am I good.  Today I shot 112 for my best ever score, so I dont want to come off like a dick or anything but how are you supposed to deal with a situation like this?  It's a public course so there's no one around to say anything too and I'm not huge on confrontation but I also don't want the guys on the tee box thinking I'm just hanging out in the fairway for no reason.  

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

6 minutes ago, ALong17 said:

Went out and played my first 18 today.  I was solo and had a twosome in front of me from 2 on but through the first 9 the next group was 5 holes back so I didn't mind waiting as I was playing my best yet.   Most holes I would get to the tee right after they pulled off onto the fairway.  

Well as I'm teeing off on 14 I notice the group behind is catching up.  Come to 16 and I'm caught between both groups.   At 17 I'm waiting for these guys to te and one hits a bad shot so he hits again.  No biggie, I think it's a one time thing.  

By 18 I'm waiting, the group behind is waiting and these guys are hitting 3 balls a piece, playing them all, and bullshitting around the green while I wait on the fairway to hit my next round.  

By no means am I good.  Today I shot 112 for my best ever score, so I dont want to come off like a dick or anything but how are you supposed to deal with a situation like this?  It's a public course so there's no one around to say anything too and I'm not huge on confrontation but I also don't want the guys on the tee box thinking I'm just hanging out in the fairway for no reason.  

I used to play solo a lot and it was tough getting caught in between groups. I would try to get a conversation going with the group behind and let them know that the group ahead is holding things up and not me. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Carl3 said:

I used to play solo a lot and it was tough getting caught in between groups. I would try to get a conversation going with the group behind and let them know that the group ahead is holding things up and not me. 

Without being an ass, there's not much you can really do at a muni course.    @Carl3 gave you some good advise though, let the group behind know the situation.  

I will definitely do that in the future!  I dont think it would have been a big deal if they weren't each playing 3 seperate balls.  I spent at least 15 minutes on the tee box and another 15 on the fairway between shots waiting.  

2 minutes ago, ALong17 said:

I will definitely do that in the future!  I dont think it would have been a big deal if they weren't each playing 3 seperate balls.  I spent at least 15 minutes on the tee box and another 15 on the fairway between shots waiting.  

I'm not big on confrontation either, but I don't know that I could put up with that! I have a long fuse, but I think that it would have burned to nothing in that circumstance!

I would’ve played through the group in front  by the 3rd or 4th hole. 

32 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I would’ve played through the group in front  by the 3rd or 4th hole. 

I have jump ahead of very slow groups but as @ALong17 stated, this was his first round playing 18 holes.  

Ask to play through the front group, or wave up the rear group to join you. 

If not those two choices, then just deal with the situation, and stay on the front groups' collective butts as close as possible. . 

A third option, if there's room a head, would be to skip around of the front group. So you skip a hole. Not a big deal. Maybe you can come back and play it later. 

Played the other day and it was really slow for some reason. The guys in front were held up by the group in front of them. I was playing in a twosome, four in front, four behind. I just talked to the group behind us on the third hole and they understood. But it was very frustrating waiting on each tee and the next fairway shot. I don't drive up on people to hurry them along, I did that once on a fairway shot and hit a perfect 3W. Ball rolled onto the green while the group in front was putting out, they were not happy. I apologized on the next tee, told them I rarely hit my 3W that good, but still words were exchanged, very uncomfortable, I don't do that anymore.

Keep the clubhouses phone number and use it if need be. They will send a ranger out and sometimes the problem is resolved. Sometimes a second call is necessary. most of the time I've played as a single, I pass 3-4 groups and they are happy to let me play through. I normally play 18 walking in about 2-2.5 hours, so I'd be considered on the fast side. I have yet to run into any groups this year that wouldn't let me play through when no one was in front of them. If the course is packed, then there really isn't a point in playing through, but if its open you should say something or call the ranger

The fact that they kept playing multiple balls even though they were holding people up would have led me to calling the clubhouse to see if someone could come out and say something. I mean, that's just out and out rude.