IGNORED

That Guy

CharlieB
Note: This thread is 1657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

We play golf once a week. We have a group of about 10-12 guys. There is one guy I get stuck with just about every week. I’m not sure how to handle this situation other than to quit the group. I hate to do that, because overall it’s a good group. I’ll use last week as an example.

First tee he tells me I tee my ball too high. I screwed up my tee shot and lost my ball. As I was teeing off he was talking to the other guy. We get to the green and as I’m putting he’s still talking to the other guy. This continued through out the entire round.

He losing his ball and we are looking for it constantly, to the point where I forget where mine went.

He questions why I hit a certain club on several tees. He tells me I should have hit my driver on a tight, long par 3 with trouble both left and right.

He laughs when I miss a putt. He questions my scores. I don’t cheat and pay close attention to count which clubs I hit.

He stands on the tee box stating that we are falling behind after spending a lot of time looking four his ball after he hit it 60-80 yards.

As I’m getting ready to hit a ball over a water hazard he tells me he never carries the water.

I could go on and on, but it will even get worse. I am playing in the mid 90’s, he is playing in the 120’s or more.

I have outstanding hearing and a problem with my attention span.

He is somewhat handicapped and quite frankly annoying. I have asked our organizer not to pair me with him, but every week there he is.

What would you do? I am trying very hard to improve and spend a lot of time practicing.

Frustrated with golf at this time!

I'd just return the favor. Do to him what he does to you. Have fun with him. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is a lady at my club that does the exact same thing! 

If you enjoy the group otherwise, I’d just stand up to him and tell him to kindly stop doing what he is doing and that you don’t appreciate any of it, or tell the guys that you’d like to not partner with him again. It is very likely that you are not the only one who is annoyed by his behavior. You don’t have to be angry or rude, just tell him kindly to keep it to himself.

Just reread that you have already asked to not be paired with him. Then you will have to tell him directly not to talk/comment when it is your turn to hit. Sometimes these people does things on purpose to annoy others, sometimes they don’t know what they are doing is annoying because no one had ever stood up to them. Just tell him. Good luck! 

Ask him if he wants to play for money...   :-D

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Ask him if he wants to play for money...   :-D

Straight up.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

This guy is a bully. Back off your shot, look him in the eye, tell him no talking during your swing, and go about your business. 

If he continues with the behavior, and the group continues to pair him with you, leave.

I have been backing off at staring at him until he stops talking.

I didn’t mention this, but he uses a lot of foul language when he hits a bad shot, well actually on most shots. I am a believer of you reap what you sow, in other words, no practice, probably a bad round.

This past week I did something that I’m not too proud of. We were half way through the back nine and I just left the course. I just couldn’t take any more. I don’t think I’m going to go back, although our season is coming to an end anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been stewing all week and really needed to vent. My wife is sick of hearing about it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There will almost always be 'that guy' somewhere on the course.  I've been playing for 26 years and I've learned that you have to teach yourself to not be affected by people like that.  It's not always easy, but... if you can learn to ignore the comments and the antics and just enjoy the surroundings and the game... you'll be better off for it.  

I play a lot of tournament golf.  I get paired with all types of players.  There are those that don't want to talk at all... then there are those that never want to stop talking.  There are those that slam or throw clubs after what they perceive to be a poor shot and then there are those that laugh it off and move on.  There are those that enjoy a beer or a case and then there are those that won't drink anything harder than water.  

At the end of the day... you're there to enjoy yourself.  If you find that you're unable to do that around someone, it may be time to move away from the group.  Life is too short to be uncomfortable.

CY

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Ask the organizer why you are paired with the tool every week....if it's not an answer you like then you will need to quit the group because you're not having fun.

Just walk up to this clown and tell him straight up that he needs to STFU and that he's a complete douc*ebag....it's just that simple.

8 hours ago, CharlieB said:

I have been backing off at staring at him until he stops talking.

I didn’t mention this, but he uses a lot of foul language when he hits a bad shot, well actually on most shots. I am a believer of you reap what you sow, in other words, no practice, probably a bad round.

This past week I did something that I’m not too proud of. We were half way through the back nine and I just left the course. I just couldn’t take any more. I don’t think I’m going to go back, although our season is coming to an end anyway.

Thanks for the feedback. I have been stewing all week and really needed to vent. My wife is sick of hearing about it.

If you are bringing it home, I think you should quit the group. You need to play so you don't even have to look at this guy. I would tell the organizer that you are leaving the group, and tell him why. Remind him that you asked not to be paired with him, and tell him you just are not having any fun. It might take some time, but you'll find other guys to play with. Life is too short not to enjoy your golf.

Edited by Sandy Divot
  • Like 1

Note: This thread is 1657 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!