IGNORED

Iron Fitting on Saturday at Club Champion

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was fitted for my current iron set back in 2011.  Taylormade Tour Preferred CB.  Looking to see what the new technology will do to improve my game.  Likely looking at players distance type irons.  will check out both steel and graphite..

7 hours ago, txgolfer45 said:

I was fitted for my current iron set back in 2011.  Taylormade Tour Preferred CB.  Looking to see what the new technology will do to improve my game.  Likely looking at players distance type irons.  will check out both steel and graphite..

There's a ton of good stuff in that category these days. The Taylormade are sweet. Everything Mizuno makes in irons are great. The hardest part might just be narrowing down the field to what you like best. Enjoy the fitting and please report back to us how it goes. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And remember, just because you were fit at CC, doesn’t mean you have to buy from CC!  ;-)

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• iacas changed the title to Iron Fitting on Saturday at Club Champion
15 hours ago, David in FL said:

And remember, just because you were fit at CC, doesn’t mean you have to buy from CC!  ;-)

Yeah, think before you decide to make a purchase right then.  Get the club info and pricing from them and then take a few days to settle down and think out what u want to do.  Club Champion is NOT cheap and tends to put you in very high priced equipment.  You might want to set a high bar for price and tell them what it is before you start the process on Saturday.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just finished my fitting session.   Tried a bunch of different shafts with a Taylormade M6 6 iron fare base lining with my current 6 iron to see what shaft weight got the best results.  60 gr was too light.  Couldn’t feel the club and got less than optimal results.  Tried 65 and 70 gr shafts.  65 gr got the best results.  Tried several 65 gr offerings. The Recoil 65 worked out best.  Then tried a number of iron heads from Callaway, Honda, Titleist, Ping and Cobra.  The Ping G700 came out on top.  The Recoil shaft was offered by Ping.  So, I ended up ordering a custom set of 6-AW from Ping.  The shaft was a Ping upcharge of $33 per club.  an increase in carry and total distance, improved trajectory and dispersion as well as spin.  All in all, a great experience.  

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, txgolfer45 said:

I just finished my fitting session.   Tried a bunch of different shafts with a Taylormade M6 6 iron fare base lining with my current 6 iron to see what shaft weight got the best results.  60 gr was too light.  Couldn’t feel the club and got less than optimal results.  Tried 65 and 70 gr shafts.  65 gr got the best results.  Tried several 65 gr offerings. The Recoil 65 worked out best.  Then tried a number of iron heads from Callaway, Honda, Titleist, Ping and Cobra.  The Ping G700 came out on top.  The Recoil shaft was offered by Ping.  So, I ended up ordering a custom set of 6-AW from Ping.  The shaft was a Ping upcharge of $33 per club.  an increase in carry and total distance, improved trajectory and dispersion as well as spin.  All in all, a great experience.  

Not to throw a damper on things but this is a true story.  I had a friend (8 handicap) a few years ago, after a fitting, order a full iron set of Pings.  All the numbers in the fitting bay pointed to this set of irons.  Three weeks later, after several rounds on the course, he returned the clubs and bought some Taylormades he had his eye on.  Worked out great for him.  I hope your Pings work out fine for you.  I would love to think fittings actually work.  I am sure they do to a degree.  Let us know how things work out for you, TxGolfer.

Not to be a downer but I've been fit three different times and the results have been underwhelming. I gained no extra distance or accuracy. On one fitting I was recommended to try different shafts. When I reshafted my irons I was almost a full club shorter with no improvement in accuracy. I play around 150 rounds a year and currently have a 8.1 index. I have had several friends also get fitted and I can honestly say way less than 50% have seen any gains in their game. My fittings were by Club Champion and 2 top 100 fitters in my area. I'm not a big fan of fittings.

56 minutes ago, Dstob said:

Not to be a downer but I've been fit three different times and the results have been underwhelming. I gained no extra distance or accuracy. On one fitting I was recommended to try different shafts. When I reshafted my irons I was almost a full club shorter with no improvement in accuracy. I play around 150 rounds a year and currently have a 8.1 index. I have had several friends also get fitted and I can honestly say way less than 50% have seen any gains in their game. My fittings were by Club Champion and 2 top 100 fitters in my area. I'm not a big fan of fittings.

Did you see any improvement during the fittings? If there were no significant differences, it’s entirely possible the clubs you were using were already suited for your swing. Not everybody will see major improvements in their game from a fitting; there are plenty of swing issues that equipment can’t make up for.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Seeing improvement during the fittings seems to be a waste of time as your hitting off a mat in perfect conditions. Your also looking at data provided by a ball that is going into a net so you can't see the full ball flight. In one of the fittings I was told my irons were perfect for me and was fit into a driver I used for a couple of weeks until I came to the conclusion my gamer was better. As for swing issues I'm a poster boy for them....... That's my experience. I hope everyone else has a great experience.

Significant improvements over my gamers.  Ball speed, carry distance, total distance, etc.    The differences were big enough to suggest a change.  If the results were close to my gamer, then no reason to change.

I have a CC about an hour away from me and was thinking of checking them out. We also have some other fitters in the area so one can pick their poison. I would like to get another opinion on my setup is why I was thinking of doing a fitting. I hear some say wait until you get a good swing down and then others say you need to go as soon as you can. Always so many different opinions out there.

I like to follow threads about fittings because it's something I am considering this year. Seems like most of the feedback/results are positive, especially if the fitting was done by a competent fitter.

1 hour ago, luchnia said:

I hear some say wait until you get a good swing down and then others say you need to go as soon as you can. Always so many different opinions out there.

It's probably case by case. If your swing is in a steady state, I don't see how a fitting would be harmful, but if a lot of changes are going on, it might be better to wait, otherwise you may need a second fitting after more swing changes.

I asked my instructor about fitting after a year of lessons, and she believed that my swing was at a point where a fitting would be beneficial. Initially, just based on observing swings during my lesson, she noted that my Driver and iron shafts were a poor fit for my swing speed / transition. She suggested a heavier, lower launch driver shaft, and also switching from R to S shafts in my irons. I bought a used driver shaft on eBay matching these characteristics, put it in my driver, and the results have been positive. I also bought some used S flex iron shafts that I am planning to have installed this month. If the results from iron shaft updates are positive, I'll probably schedule a full fitting for shafts/heads, if nothing else for the confidence that I am using equipment best suited to my swing.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

3 hours ago, luchnia said:

I have a CC about an hour away from me and was thinking of checking them out. We also have some other fitters in the area so one can pick their poison. I would like to get another opinion on my setup is why I was thinking of doing a fitting. I hear some say wait until you get a good swing down and then others say you need to go as soon as you can. Always so many different opinions out there.

A good fitter will spot something simple like a setup issue and point it out.

When I did my putter fitting, my fitter told me he could spend an hour trying to fit a putter to my stance or he could help me make a quick adjustment that solved a lot of my aiming issues. I opted for the latter and he fit me based on the new stance which took some practice on my part to ingrain.

My driver fitter had me raise the handle at address a hair. Made better contact as a result. I have to remember to keep doing it when spring comes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Ahh, Spring!

Spring, it seems as if I remember you..

I had a fitting at Club Champion and was impressed with the numbers and the fitter, not so much with the cost.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I asked my instructor about fitting after a year of lessons, and she believed that my swing was at a point where a fitting would be beneficial. Initially, just based on observing swings during my lesson, she noted that my Driver and iron shafts were a poor fit for my swing speed / transition. 

How much have you played while you were taking your lessons?

45 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I had a fitting at Club Champion and was impressed with the numbers and the fitter, not so much with the cost.

Did you buy the fitted clubs and if so, how did that improve your game?

Note: This thread is 1554 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!