IGNORED

LPGA: The Good Ole Days? Have You Stopped Watching?

Indy1954
Note: This thread is 1467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 minutes ago, snapfade said:

Jan Stephenson was Australian.So I don't really see her as being credible. 

I just realized I spelled her name wrong, English was not my top subject.

I think shes very credible, I copied this from a blog.

Shes won three major championships and 16 LPGA Tour events. She has 41 worldwide victories including (10) LPGA Legends Tour wins and 8 worldwide major championships. She has 15 holes-in-one with (9) in competition. She was elected to the World Golf Hall of Fame, class of 2019

6 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

DaveP043 makes a good point.  Does the author of the original post plan to make contributions in other threads?

I just joined today. I've always wanted others opinion to this question but could never find a forum with enough members to ask. You was new when you joined right, did anyone put you down on your first post?

Edited by Indy1954

9 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

Players like Creamer, Wei, Lexi, etc. have fan appeal, Inbee doesn't to me and she's the top player.

LPGA needs to build their fan base not their golf fan base.

You are talking about your personal preference.

My personal preference is to NOT watch "Lexi" because she is an entitlted, lying, cheating brat.

I don't like watching Wie because she almost never reaches a level even close to what was her apparently unlimited potential.

Creamer is a whining hasbeen.

The LPGA is there for the best players in the world. Heaven help it if it existed for the best US players.

Are you aware of how popular the South Korean and Japanese players are elsewhere in the world? They are huge stars. 

Edited by leftybutnotPM

4 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

Seems most are missing my point. Its not about how great one plays this great game, its about fan appeal. Without fan appeal you have nothing. Fans are what makes or breaks the game, you don't have to golf to be a fan. Players like Creamer, Wei, Lexi, etc. have fan appeal, Inbee doesn't to me and she's the top player.

LPGA needs to build their fan base not their golf fan base.

I've already addressed this as it was my first sentence in the previous post.  I have not missed your point.  "Fan appeal" is largely based upon achieving success--Wie and Lexi have each won majors.  Creamer has won 12 events and ascended up to #2 in the world at one point--add in marketing, cuteness, and the "Pink Panther," and voila--she had fan appeal.  John Daly also had success as well as on-course and off-course antics.  

Again, no one is missing your point; it just isn't valid.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, leftybutnotPM said:

For crying out loud, man. It's 2020. 

We get why you don't like Asian players. Give it a rest.

I'm not sure you realize who you're directing that to.  I'm against the OP.  Read a little more carefully.  I've been on your side of the argument the whole time.  Next time, read first.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, ncates00 said:

I'm not sure you realize who you're directing that to.  I'm against the OP.  Read a little more carefully.  I've been on your side of the argument the whole time.  Next time, read first.

Sorry mate - I was being a bit hasty!!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

No one has explained the interest decline in the LPGA in the US, still waiting for some other reason besides what I have stated

You don't read much do you?

3 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

No one has explained the decline in the LPGA, still waiting for some other reason besides what I have stated

Are you talking about the decline in skill level?  TV revenue?  Decline in ethnicity ratios?  TV viewership?  The latter is suffering across tours because of the decline in the popularity of golf in general.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

No one has explained the interest decline in the LPGA in the US, still waiting for some other reason besides what I have stated

You mean the decline in your interest? You have made that abundantly clear.

5 hours ago, Indy1954 said:

I know this is a touchy subject but I just want others opinion.

I used to watch the LPGA tour every week, watched it just about the same as the PGA sometimes more. But not anymore, I turn it on and see the leaderboard. If no one I like watching is on the 1st/2nd page I turn it off. Why, cause I know they only show the leaders and not players off the hunt even if they are popular players.

Fans want to see their favorite players no matter if they are in the hunt. When Tiger is playing but not in contention fans still want to see him and if they don't show him they'll turn to another program, same with the LPGA. If they're playing I want to see Lexi, Henderson, Cristie, Lincicome, Nordqvist, Stacy, Natalie, Wie, etc..

My view...if the American girls would work harder they might be in contention. The only way to save the tour is being more International. The Ladies European tour is almost broke!  Kerr is fading away, Lexi is a head case who can’t find any consistency, Stacey is also fading away, Natalie is retired, Wie is broken and a has been.  The Korda sisters are the top Americans along with Kang. Newcomers Kupcho, Stephenson, Olson and a few others are gaining and should be better this year. I’m sure I’ve missed a few.   As to sponsors I only count 5 or 6 American sponsors the rest are in Asia or Australia.  And I’m sure Korean TV doesn’t want to watch Lexi.

Bottom line is the American ladies are going to have to play better.

52 minutes ago, leftybutnotPM said:

Sorry you are very wrong. I loved to watch and rooted many times for both Se Ri Pak and Grace Park, both from S. Korea and had great game. Many people think but don't openly say they feel the LPGA has been overrun by Asian players. Just like I'm sure a few have read this thread and agree with me but do not want any backlash so they don't post.

So do not put words into my mouth saying I don't like Asian players, using the race card to shut me up does not work on me.

58 minutes ago, Sandy Lie said:

……..  And I’m sure Korean TV doesn’t want to watch Lexi.

Bottom line is the American ladies are going to have to play better.

Tks Sandy Lie for the nicest best responce so far.

I agree that Korean tv doesn't want to watch Americans, so is it so wrong with Americans saying they don't want to watch a leaderboard full of Asians

And yes American girls need to improve. We thought the younger ones had someone to follow and inspire after but I feel Wie ruined that when she tried to compete against the men and fizzled out.

Edited by Indy1954

Caught some ISPS Handa in Australia on TV. I saw a great mix of nationalities and good play.

The ladies are very easy on the eyes. Asian nationalities included. Swings are much more athletic then ever. I see more smiles than ever. They are playing much more variety of shot, varying trajectories, etc. than they did in the past.

I understand it's hard to not be able identify with unknowns but give it some time.

I know Creamer, Lexi, Wie have cooled off but I am looking forward to Kupcho and Korda picking up the torch on the American side. 

The good ole days are not over but the guard is changing a bit. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

42 minutes ago, Indy1954 said:

So do not put words into my mouth saying I don't like Asian players, using the race card to shut me up does not work on me.

It's because of statements you've made like the following that you're getting push back:

(1) For Me I do not want to watch the LPGA when the leaderboard is full of Asian names and they are the only players they show, I want to see some N. American, Canadian, European, Aussy, etc players.

(2) The point of this thread is to stop the decline of the LPGA and filling the leaderboard with Asian players and only showing their play is not the answer

(3) Fan appeal is the name of the game and the LPGA better brighten up or the LPGA will soon be nothing but Asian golfers.

(4) When the LPGA puts a quota on Foreign players then it may regain its old status.

(5) Its the USA LPGA Tour not the Asian Tour

When you make statements like the above, you're going to get flack.  Golf is a merit-based game.  I don't think you read or understand why people are calling you out.  Reread what you have said.  The statements are discriminatory in nature against Asian players, for no other reason than that they are Asian.  That's wrong man.

Now, I will concede that you made a separate point, and one that might be valid to you, in that you expressed dissatisfaction because your favorite lady players aren't being shown on TV.  That's fair.  You can have your opinion as to your favorite golfers.  However, your argument about showing Tiger Woods, as I have stated repeatedly, is not a fair comparison because Tiger is relevant.  Kerr, Wie, and many others you have listed are not.  It's not a fair comparison to anyone, much less the ladies.  Tiger is likely the greatest golfer to have ever picked up a club and will only be competitive for a little while longer.  Why else do you think they show Tiger?  He has earned that place.  You lamenting that TV doesn't show your favorite female golfers is not a fair comparison.  As we have already told you--the American ladies should play better golf.  The Asians are kicking butt and winning.  There's nothing wrong with that.  Are you also upset that black guys are dominating the NBA?  Come on man.  You don't have a good argument here.  What you should say is that you're disappointed in the play of your favorite golfers.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

I watch a little on tv and have been to LPGA events. The only thing that puts me off sometimes are the overweight ones. I know......that sounds terrible but I want players to look like athletes. Same holds true for men. And I do think more Americans would be a plus for the tour, but you have to earn your way on tour. It's not going to be given to you. 

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Note: This thread is 1467 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!