IGNORED

30-Day (Was COVID) Practice Plan Challenge - April 1-30 2020

Note: This thread is 781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Day 18

Used a couple old socks balled up for the gate.

I found the straight path to be most difficult, because at least for me it felt like there was the smallest margin for error. Overall I was pretty successful doing all three. By success I mean not clipping one of the gates, ball contact was not perfect.  I’ve done similar drills working on an inside-out path, trying to correct OTT swing, so the path to the right was easiest.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Day 19 – Trail Side Band Pull

This is a great and very simple drill that helps you understand how the trail hip moves both BACK (both away from the target and the ball) and UP during the backswing. You’ll need some form of elastic band for this, but the feelings created today will lead to an improved backswing that engages more of your core and keeps your weight and pressure in usable positions.

As with all drills, start doing them slowly and ramp up the speed as you go.

The drills for today:

• 3:00 – Band pulls (in front of a mirror)
  • 1:00 – Break time!
  • 1:00 – Rehearsal with a club

Video:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Day 18. I liked this drill. I just filmed two of each and two again of the one I found the most difficult which was the out to in path. I practiced all of them a lot more

I’m not sure which I found easier the straight path or the in to out path. 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Day 19 – Trail Side Band Pull

This is a great and very simple drill that helps you understand how the trail hip moves both BACK (both away from the target and the ball) and UP during the backswing. You’ll need some form of elastic band for this, but the feelings created today will lead to an improved backswing that engages more of your core and keeps your weight and pressure in usable positions.

As with all drills, start doing them slowly and ramp up the speed as you go.

The drills for today:

• 1:00 – Break time!
  • 1:00 – Rehearsal with a club

Video:

Erik just a question I always thought on this site that you guys encouraged a backswing where the lead hip doesn’t move back. How would you move your trail hip back without your lead hip going back. 

In MvMac’s thread how to draw the ball and how to hit driver, both threads encourage a backswing where the lead hip doesn’t move back?

I’m a little confused. 

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, Nail said:

Erik just a question I always thought on this site that you guys encouraged a backswing where the lead hip doesn’t move back. How would you move your trail hip back without your lead hip going back.

I answered this question in my Member Swing topic, didn't I?

The trail hip moves back like an inch. Two at the most.

Yeah, more here:

Again, for "average golfers" who actually sway a bunch, learning a true "centered pivot" is good. But then as players improve, regaining a little of the "flow" is a little piece to get a little better.

When I'm not spending a lot of time working hard on my arms, I've always had a little sway off the ball. Kinda an exaggerated Jack Nicklaus head turn that I'd add a little tilt to it, but the hips would follow. That's always been the case for me since, when I first learned golf, I learned I didn't want to do two things because the magazines said that crappy players did these things:

• Reverse pivot.
  • Slice.

So I swayed (not just with my hips, my upper body more so) off the ball and aggressively moved back into the ball, and I hit a hook or a draw (which given what I do now kinda pisses me off 😄).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

So I swayed (not just with my hips, my upper body more so) off the ball and aggressively moved back into the ball, and I hit a hook or a draw (which given what I do now kinda pisses me off 😄).

What do you do now out of interest?

Edited by iacas
removed link to other post

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, Nail said:

What do you do now out of interest?

Not sure what you mean. I'm talking about 27 years ago when I first learned golf.

I figured if I did the opposite of what bad golfers did I could be pretty good. It kinda worked.

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

Not sure what you mean. I'm talking about 27 years ago when I first learned golf.

I figured if I did the opposite of what bad golfers did I could be pretty good. It kinda worked.

Oh I get you now, I thought you meant the type of swing you have now.

Day 19... 

• Like 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

Well done.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

Well done.

I may take the lighter exercise band next time. Allow me to get more reps in before I start to feel the muscle burn 😉

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Day 19 was a real core shredder.  I used a pretty heavy band and it was a real struggle to complete.

I'll have to show it to my physical therapist when I go back.  He's had me doing something similar using my home gym and/or light kettlebells, but this was waaaaaaay more specific to the golfing motion.  Definitely another piece that I will be adding into my exercise routine.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Day 19. All I had was an elasticated wrist wrap for the gym so it doesn’t stretch quite as far. 

• Administrator

Bending the elbow there @Nail?

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Bending the elbow there @Nail?

I didnt even realise, too busy thinking about a full stretch up the right side. It might have been the wrap, it doesnt stretch very far but ill try again to see. 👍

Day 19 - used the most stretchy bungee strap I had (no exercise bands at the homestead).  I definitely felt this in the core after doing the exercise. Also took a few swings with some Birdie Balls afterwards - man did the swing path feel much stronger, confident.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 4/17/2020 at 5:31 PM, metaswinger said:

Day 17

Equipment is important.  I used two of my favorite wines:

A.     A Rafanelli (Dry Creek Valley, Sonoma County) 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (half finished)

B.     Bliss Family Vineyards (Mendocino) 2016 Cabernet Sauvignon (finished)

Worked well. Even after finishing a bottle and a half.

Nice job on the drill.  I don't have any noodles either but, the thought of what could happen if a bottle broke puts me off using that idea.

Note: This thread is 781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!