IGNORED

A Good Read on Lower Back Pain

MiuraMan
Note: This thread is 973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• iacas changed the title to A Good Read on Lower Back Pain

Excellent point "Vinsk".

What you describe has been my personal experience. At age 67 I took my son out to Bandon Dunes early Sept. Out there you have to walk all courses. After coming home I started to have pain in my left hip; I always walked at home so I was surprised at this; I could no longer walk without pain, could not sit at my desk for longer than 15 minutes; riding a cart was OK; but I had subconsciously modified my swing to avoid posting too hard on my lead leg. Even before that I had bouts of back pain where I would suffer a spasm from not bending at the hips properly or twisting around to pick up an object, while under load. These bouts would always subside after a couple of days, but were miserable at the time. Back to the hip, First trip was to PCP; he took an X-Ray nothing showed up on that so he recommended a visit to orthopedic Dr.. Earlier in my life I had seen an orthopedic Dr. about my left shoulder. In my early 20's I suffered a severe dislocation - going to bed in the barracks late one night in the dark and flopped down on the bed, only the bed wasn't there and I extended my left arm to break the fall. After that my left shoulder would dislocate easily - making a left arm only golf swing; it would dislocate at the top of my finish. So I moved on with life; whenever it dislocated I would pull it back in place. In my 40's I was surfing; walking back in carrying the board under my left arm, when a rouge wave caught me by surprise and ripped that board from my grasp. Now a simple dislocation became a major big deal - couldn't play golf etc. At this point in my life I had Medical insurance so I went to Orthopedic Dr.. After reviewing my X-Ray he described the injury to me and said yes he could operate to try and fix the issue or I could try a series of exercises targeting the rotator cuff to strengthen it and help stabilize the joint. That worked, after a while I do not have an issue with that shoulder!! Back to my hip - after the PCP I decided to try a physiatrist (sp?); he did an ultrasound on the hip to see if there was a labral tear or some other cause, then ordered an MRI. So a 67 year old with hip pain guess what the diagnosis is from the MRI - mild arthritis. He offered pain meds(declined) and said if the pain gets too much go see an Orthopedic Dr.; they can replace your hip. I know a number of golfers who have had hip replacement surgery and it was successful - but not for me. I signed up with a golf specific trainer and started working with him; I worked with him once a week for two years. I learned a lot about how muscular imbalances and repetitive movements can cause issues., and what to do to counteract the adverse 

Now I am pain free in the hip; much stronger in the core; no back spasms; no sciatica; no knee pain. Play golf 5 days a week and hit a lot of golf balls in my garage setup. Have played 54 hole tournaments; swinging just as well on the 54th hole as the first hole.

Recently I had started having soreness in my trail shoulder after playing golf - after some research on the internet I have addressed that issue and my shoulder mobility and strength are vastly improved.

Hope I did not bore you with the long story; but I tell that story in the hopes it will help other individuals. I play with a lot of older golfers and see these issues all the time - sore backs, painful hips, shoulders and knees. I always suggest they first check with medical professionals to ensure there is not a serious medical issue that needs to be addressed; then tell them my story and suggest they get with a golf specific trainer. Despite that I know two golfers who had hip-replacements; another with shoulder surgery; another talking about knee surgery. The list goes on.

If you are still practicing medicine, then god speed and stay safe during this pandemic. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

Excellent point "Vinsk".

What you describe has been my personal experience. At age 67 I took my son out to Bandon Dunes early Sept. Out there you have to walk all courses. After coming home I started to have pain in my left hip; I always walked at home so I was surprised at this; I could no longer walk without pain, could not sit at my desk for longer than 15 minutes; riding a cart was OK; but I had subconsciously modified my swing to avoid posting too hard on my lead leg. Even before that I had bouts of back pain where I would suffer a spasm from not bending at the hips properly or twisting around to pick up an object, while under load. These bouts would always subside after a couple of days, but were miserable at the time. Back to the hip, First trip was to PCP; he took an X-Ray nothing showed up on that so he recommended a visit to orthopedic Dr.. Earlier in my life I had seen an orthopedic Dr. about my left shoulder. In my early 20's I suffered a severe dislocation - going to bed in the barracks late one night in the dark and flopped down on the bed, only the bed wasn't there and I extended my left arm to break the fall. After that my left shoulder would dislocate easily - making a left arm only golf swing; it would dislocate at the top of my finish. So I moved on with life; whenever it dislocated I would pull it back in place. In my 40's I was surfing; walking back in carrying the board under my left arm, when a rouge wave caught me by surprise and ripped that board from my grasp. Now a simple dislocation became a major big deal - couldn't play golf etc. At this point in my life I had Medical insurance so I went to Orthopedic Dr.. After reviewing my X-Ray he described the injury to me and said yes he could operate to try and fix the issue or I could try a series of exercises targeting the rotator cuff to strengthen it and help stabilize the joint. That worked, after a while I do not have an issue with that shoulder!! Back to my hip - after the PCP I decided to try a physiatrist (sp?); he did an ultrasound on the hip to see if there was a labral tear or some other cause, then ordered an MRI. So a 67 year old with hip pain guess what the diagnosis is from the MRI - mild arthritis. He offered pain meds(declined) and said if the pain gets too much go see an Orthopedic Dr.; they can replace your hip. I know a number of golfers who have had hip replacement surgery and it was successful - but not for me. I signed up with a golf specific trainer and started working with him; I worked with him once a week for two years. I learned a lot about how muscular imbalances and repetitive movements can cause issues., and what to do to counteract the adverse 

Now I am pain free in the hip; much stronger in the core; no back spasms; no sciatica; no knee pain. Play golf 5 days a week and hit a lot of golf balls in my garage setup. Have played 54 hole tournaments; swinging just as well on the 54th hole as the first hole.

Recently I had started having soreness in my trail shoulder after playing golf - after some research on the internet I have addressed that issue and my shoulder mobility and strength are vastly improved.

Hope I did not bore you with the long story; but I tell that story in the hopes it will help other individuals. I play with a lot of older golfers and see these issues all the time - sore backs, painful hips, shoulders and knees. I always suggest they first check with medical professionals to ensure there is not a serious medical issue that needs to be addressed; then tell them my story and suggest they get with a golf specific trainer. Despite that I know two golfers who had hip-replacements; another with shoulder surgery; another talking about knee surgery. The list goes on.

If you are still practicing medicine, then god speed and stay safe during this pandemic. 

That'll be $350 for the office visit unless you have Medicare...

Way to go with the physical therapy.  Two torn tendons in my elbow and the PT was the only thing that helped it.  Tried virtually everything else out there, except acupuncture, and nothing worked.  Spent more money this last year on my elbow than I do in the same amount of time on golf.

Edited by Double Mocha Man

58 minutes ago, MiuraMan said:

If you are still practicing medicine, then god speed and stay safe during this pandemic

I am and thank you. Very glad to read your story. Great job on your behalf and keep it up! 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 4 months later...
On 3/29/2020 at 12:32 PM, MiuraMan said:
backpain_lead.jpg

A review of 80-plus studies upends the conventional wisdom.

Thank you for posting that.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Mobility is a big thing.

I try to get out of my work chair every few hours at a minimum and use my standing desk for a few hours of the day. I go for walks daily. I stretch every night before bed. I find that my lower back mobility is the best its every been. If my back does flare up, its usually not too long and I don't need much in the way of drugs. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Mobility is a big thing.

I try to get out of my work chair every few hours at a minimum and use my standing desk for a few hours of the day. I go for walks daily. I stretch every night before bed. I find that my lower back mobility is the best its every been. If my back does flare up, its usually not too long and I don't need much in the way of drugs. 

I used to have SI joint issues all the time. Mobility and stretching really helped as did core strength. Since I retired in April, I don’t sit that much anymore and my SI doesn’t flare up as much. Sitting really can cause issues.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 months later...

This is just my experience and humble opinion.

I crushed a disc while serving in the US Air Force in 1971. Back then there were no MRIs so I had a myelogram which showed the ruptured disc was putting pressure on the sciatic nerve cause sever pain and numbness down my left leg. I can tell you that no amount of PT or messages was going to solve this problem. Luckily I had a good neurosurgeon who went in and removed the ruptured part of the disc thus relieving the pain, complete success, I was amazed. 

I'm 69 years old now and have had two more surgeries, (total of three) on L5S1. Each time the operations were successful. It is not the doctor's fault that the disc had ruptured multiple times, it may again in the future, (in which case I need a fusion). I just thank God there are men and women out there trained to treat back pain and issues like mine. They gave me a good quality of life even though I had some issues to deal with.

If you have back pain go see a neurosurgeon, (I do not recommend orthopedist, but that is just my view). Have an MRI and find out what is causing it. If surgery is required don't be afraid of it. In my experience back surgery is not like abdominal surgery, there is little pain when you wake up, in fact in my case the pain was gone. 

Best of luck to all who suffer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...

As somebody who has suffered with lower back pain ever since I was around 12, thanks to bad posture, I have learned a thing or two.  First, ensure your posture is correct, all the time.  Secondly, try and strengthen your back and core muscles.  Thirdly, excess weight, particularly around the belly is a problem.

However, 'easier said than done'.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!