IGNORED

Shortening Driver Length for 14 Year Old Daughter

Learning266
Note: This thread is 1395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi All,

I was wondering if it is a good idea to shorten the length of my daughter's Ladies Rogue Driver?

and if I need to re weigh it again...I am not sure if this driver can be re weigh?

My daughter picked up golf 1 year ago, her height is 5'3 (with shoes) and wrist to floor is 30.75. She is small and low swing power. Driver Distance is 140 yds to 180 yds. Not consistent. Quite a lot of slice

I did ask the store and 1 person said not to shorten it, another person said to shorten it. I checked the Ping Height Chart and it said to shorten -1 inch. Pretty confusing for me. 

Any inputs would be highly appreciated. 

• iacas changed the title to Shortening Driver Length for 14 Year Old Daughter
  • Administrator

Was she ever fit for anything?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The problem with shortening, or lengthening, a particular golf club is the lie angle of the club head itself.  Grip any club halfway down the shaft and you will immediately recognize that something isn't right.  This is less obvious at the margins...when a club can be off not so much that you notice, at address, but off none the less.  

In other words:  The question is not "can I shorten a driver?" but rather "can this driver be shortened for this golfer?"  Maybe so.  Maybe, however, a 3 or 5 wood  head would be a better candidate.  Either will have a steeper lie angle than a  "typical" driver and permit effective use with a shorter shaft.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

A one inch reduction/longer shaft is normal when you get fitted.  Making that much of a change will not affect your club much.  However, your daughter is only 14, and I assume will grow a bit more in the next few years.  Also, one inch shorter means she can grip down on the club and play normally.

For now I would recommend leaving the club as is and gripping down on it.  WRT the slice, lessons might be a better use of money and time.

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

• Administrator
7 hours ago, Piz said:

The problem with shortening, or lengthening, a particular golf club is the lie angle of the club head itself.  Grip any club halfway down the shaft and you will immediately recognize that something isn't right.

That's not necessarily going to be the case for a shorter golfer, though. Set the club down with its natural lie angle and the shorter player will tend to be gripping down on the club anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It depends upon the family. You could put some electrical tape on the grip and build up about 1/8" about an inch down and have her try it out before you go about cutting the shaft. That way she won't be able to grip it full length and the electrical tape will ensure the length is consistent. Try it for a week or so and see how it goes. You can always remove the tape.

Edited by DrvFrShow
  • Thumbs Up 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

To further @DrvFrShow ‘s point, below is Brooke Henderson, one of the best woman players in the world. She grips down on most clubs including driver.

76A4D312-5B54-4190-815B-FA9BAD716D80.jpeg
A647B92D-B635-412E-B77E-5BD94B7CDD45.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I was custom fit for 1/2" short but got a great deal on a slightly used standard set so I cut them myself. No big deal if you cut from the grip end and if and when you want to return the club to normal just glue in a shaft extension which I have also done when experimenting with different lengths.

David

Note: This thread is 1395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!