IGNORED

My Swing (finitesoup)

finitesoup
Note: This thread is 1238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just started playing again for something to do during the pandemic. Focus is on Keys 1 & 2 at the moment.

I've been Playing Golf for: several years. Started in 2006, stopped in 2012, started up again in April 2020
My current handicap index or average score is: 22.2 (last official from 2012 + 1 EDS in April, so probably optimistic at this point).
My typical ball flight is: high
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: slice or topping the ball

Videos: 

• Administrator

Two things:

• Your arms move a lot (and get narrow) on the backswing because your arm rates are >> than your turning rates.
  • Your weight shifts back (late), and then never shifts forward.

I'd look at any of the drills that deal with those two things in the practice plan:

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got a lesson on Friday, tried to incorporate a few new swing thoughts over the weekend, and it felt so different (ball flight also better etc.). Then I look at the video and it looks pretty much the same. Sometimes this is a frustrating sport....

On 4/26/2020 at 4:02 PM, iacas said:

Two things:

• Your arms move a lot (and get narrow) on the backswing because your arm rates are >> than your turning rates.
  • Your weight shifts back (late), and then never shifts forward.

I'd look at any of the drills that deal with those two things in the practice plan:

Thanks @iacas. If I understand your first point correctly, I should be pivoting more with the body and less with the arms on their own?

Definitely agree about the weight shift, it has always been a big stumbling block for me.

• Administrator
12 hours ago, finitesoup said:

Thanks @iacas. If I understand your first point correctly, I should be pivoting more with the body and less with the arms on their own?

👍

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Working on release and feeling like I've made big changes, though video shows that feel isn't real.

Seems like a very "armsy" swing on video, though I'm really trying to use my lower body to start the downswing and turn through the shot.

Edited by finitesoup

4 hours ago, finitesoup said:

Working on release and feeling like I've made big changes, though video shows that feel isn't real.

Seems like a very "armsy" swing on video, though I'm really trying to use my lower body to start the downswing and turn through the shot.

You are still flipping or casting at the ball before impact, which is why it feels armsy. You want an in-line wrist condition at impact similar to your set up. Check out Day 5 in the drills below, but the first four are good primers for Day 5.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Ideally, club shaft should point outside left pocket at impact. It moves 'around' the belt buckle through impact area. @finitesoup It is a VERY different feel. Use a shaft extension with a alignment stick like below to ensure club butt doesn't point 'inside' your left pocket. Not a bad drill at all. 

image.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

Your trail hand grip is very weak and you roll the clubface wide open in the takeaway. It's still open at A6 so you have to square it by stalling your pivot and rolling/flipping the hands through.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Still pictures from videos are good to review also.
In this position, I see the weight shift did not happen, left heel begins to lift and left arm bends causing poor wrist / hand action.
As Bill mentioned, "rolling and flipping" is not good in a golf swing.
Just my 2 cents worth, hope it helps.

Lower.PNG

• Like 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

So here's my dilemma. I started up again in late April after a 6-7 year break.

I have gotten 4 lessons during that time, and I have improved the results of my swing with my irons (mostly straight or slight draw). When I see the video and photos, even though it feels like I've changed a lot I can see it's far from ideal, no weight shift, bad impact, etc.

I also carry much less that I feel like I should with each club given my general fitness level and I basically never take a divot after the ball which I know is a sign of good mechanics.

Do I bite the bullet and try for a complete overhaul? I wonder how long that will take and if it will remove the enjoyment of getting out for 9 holes almost every evening. I can put the time in practice-wise, I just need to make sure I'm practicing the right thing.

Has anyone else gone from this bad of a swing to a decent one, and how long did it take?

3 hours ago, finitesoup said:

So here's my dilemma. I started up again in late April after a 6-7 year break.

I have gotten 4 lessons during that time, and I have improved the results of my swing with my irons (mostly straight or slight draw). When I see the video and photos, even though it feels like I've changed a lot I can see it's far from ideal, no weight shift, bad impact, etc.

I also carry much less that I feel like I should with each club given my general fitness level and I basically never take a divot after the ball which I know is a sign of good mechanics.

Do I bite the bullet and try for a complete overhaul? I wonder how long that will take and if it will remove the enjoyment of getting out for 9 holes almost every evening. I can put the time in practice-wise, I just need to make sure I'm practicing the right thing.

Has anyone else gone from this bad of a swing to a decent one, and how long did it take?

Depends on how much time you can put into it. If you work on the drills I mentioned above, you will be set on the right path. Practice these as much as you can with the time you have. But when you play, just play and try not to think too much about your swing. Have one swing thought and have fun.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 4 months later...

Well my handicap hasn't changed much this year (looking forward to Jan 1 when the WHS is active here in DK), but I am seeing that I can finally get my weight forward, which I've been struggling with all year. Next up, that nice inline impact....

Note: This thread is 1238 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!