IGNORED

Building “Players” Bag on a Budget – Wedge Help!

medxman
Note: This thread is 1425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I’ve been self-assigned the task to build my brother in law a golf set for under $500. He originally wanted to buy a box set for $599 but I told him let me try to build him an actually decent starter set for him that he would actually be able to use for awhile. Nothing wrong with box sets, but he wants to take golf seriously (… and so do I, so I have someone to always play with), so I figured I could build him at least a starter bag for $500 (Canadian) that would last him a lot longer than the box set, especially when he gets decent.

I’m also doing this out of being bored and want to help him get the best set possible for his money. 

My idea is to budget for:

Putter $80

56* Wedge (That’s all I see him using for a while) - $50

Iron Set $250

Hybrid $40

Driver $80

Looking around for a 56* wedge for him, I know a lot of new golfers really don’t know the difference between wedges/bounce/grip, so I think 1 wedge will suffice for the time being. 

I am thinking a Clevland RTX-3 Tour 12 bounce. I am also debating between SM5, and Tour Milled. Clevland’s though seem like great value, especially sued, I can get some with great condition on the groves compared to an sm5 or the TaylorMade. 

What wedge would you guys suggest if you had to get someone new to golf a single wedge or should I try to budget for a second wedge?

I am also assuming I can grab an iron set with a Pitching Wedge in it!

Anyways, any input would be great!

• iacas changed the title to Building “Players” Bag on a Budget – Wedge Help!

Your options are virtually endless. $500 goes a long way in the used golf equipment world. Callaway pre-owned, 2ndswing golf, TGW, Golf Galaxy and eBay. Get the highest bounce you can find to start him with.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

OP

Considering he's a 'newish' golfer...just get him a 55* or 56* wedge....yup he's doesn't have the skills to differentiate much on bounce....but most 56* wedges have 11* or 14* bounces.

Try Craigslist...you should be able to find a used Vokey or Cleveland wedge for $40-$60.

The best place to find used equipment (price wise)  is Global Golf Canada then followed by Golf Avenue (both ecommerce retailers).....I've bought lots of used stuff from both.....GGC has special 15-25% off promos every now and again....especially during these Covid times.

14 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Your options are virtually endless. $500 goes a long way in the used golf equipment world. Callaway pre-owned, 2ndswing golf, TGW, Golf Galaxy and eBay. Get the highest bounce you can find to start him with.

I assume the OP is Canadian.....with exchange rates, shipping costs and potential brokerage fees.....the stuff coming from the US isn't much of a deal anymore.....I haven't bought from a US site for quite a few years.....the exchange rate premium alone... using a CC is at least 35% nowadays.

Beginner you say? He'll need stuff that's forgiving as all get to have fun. 

2014 Cobra Iron-Hybrid combo set. $299. (4H, 5H, 6H, 7i - GW)

Ping G30 SFT 12 degree driver R shaft - $169

Then a Cleveland Smart Sole S and C wedge. They're almost impossible to chunk.... almost. The S is great in heavy rough and soft sand. 

Putter.... he should pick out his putter.

OR... OR... 

If you have a Costco membership you could just get the Callaway Edge box set. He could play with that. It comes with an Odyssey putter and the clubs are pretty good. $500 for the set. Driver, 3W, 5H, 6i - SW, Putter. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Haha yea, definitely Canadian sites, we don't get free shipping from US and our exchange rate aint the best right now.

Thanks for help everyone, I'm leaning toward to Clevland wedges as the used ones I see on Golf Avenue are 40-50 for a wedge with grooves in good condition. I loved the SM5 when I had them, but price wise, for $50-60 the groves seems crap and always has marks on them. I'm going to check Global Golf!

To save costs look for iron sets with 6-pw.  Buy a hybrid for $29.99 used a 56 wedge and putter. The bag may be the biggest expense

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Go to golfworks.com

Get the Maltby 56 degree wedge.  I think they are sold out of the "club paks" for the wedges right now, but a brand new SW is less than $50.  Great club too.  I have the 60 degree and it's as good as a Vokey, in my opinion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Take a look at Tour Edge products. Same quality as the high dollar stuff, but treat one's pocket book much nicer. If they are still in business, try "Golf USA-Manhattan Kansas for T.E.  products. 

On another note, I know some beginner golfers who got by nicely with less than 14 clubs to start with. As they progressed, they would fill in the missing clubs. Most didn't start off with a driver right away, opting for a 3 wood as their first driver. Just a thought.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I recommend a Brassie, a Cleek, a Mashie, a Mashie/Niblick, a Niblick, a Sand Wedge, and a Putter.  If that seems like too many clubs you could skip the Putter and Cleek.  With a little practice one can get on fairly well using the backside of a Niblick to putt with.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

I’d move around the budged for the putter. When I started out I got a “free” bag of clubs. They were old Nike irons 4-PW a 3 hybrid, driver, 56 and 60 ancient vokey wedges and a taylormade Rossa putter. You could buy such a set for under $300. 

What I would do in your place is to look for a full used set, driver - putter. That should give you a decent set up for 500 bucks, probably much better than what you can buy individually for 500. 

On 4/30/2020 at 4:58 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

To save costs look for iron sets with 6-pw.  Buy a hybrid for $29.99 used a 56 wedge and putter. The bag may be the biggest expense

Yea, I noticed they are ALOT cheeped for 6-PW, I doubt he will be hitting a 3-5 iron well unite he can swing a bit better, so that's a great idea to save some $$$!

On 5/1/2020 at 1:36 PM, NoBareFeet said:

Go to golfworks.com

Get the Maltby 56 degree wedge.  I think they are sold out of the "club paks" for the wedges right now, but a brand new SW is less than $50.  Great club too.  I have the 60 degree and it's as good as a Vokey, in my opinion. 

I heard of Maltby, I was skeptical, but about 2 years about I was at a local Golfworks store and he was telling me something about these wedges are made the same a the SM5 (at the time) so was interested to try them but was skeptical. I might have to give that one a try, new wedge for $60 is hard to beat, especially since the comaprables of that price usually are not in good condition! 

How is the durability of them you find @Patch.

Note: This thread is 1425 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!