IGNORED

Blades vs. Cavity Backs - with Data/Video

On 8/19/2022 at 12:41 PM, Bucki1968 said:

I have a mixed set of Mizuno's. Some JPX Hot metal pros and some forged 221's. I'm always surprised more guys don't go this route.

That seems like an odd mixed set.  Curious what the exact mix is, and what adjustments were necessary?  There would be lie adjustments to match the 225 and 221 (even 223), so I’d imagine JPX would require some as well.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

That seems like an odd mixed set.  Curious what the exact mix is, and what adjustments were necessary?  There would be lie adjustments to match the 225 and 221 (even 223), so I’d imagine JPX would require some as well.

I wouldn't think you'd have to make any lie adjustments. ... I guess maybe a half degree. Perhaps slight loft adjustments. But maybe not. My guess is you may want to carry (2) eight-irons. Or something like that. 

Here's my guess:

• PW, 9 iron, 8 iron in the Mizuno Pro 221's.
  • 8 iron, 7 iron, 6 iron, and 5 iron in the JPX Hot metals. 

Those would blend nicely. Two 7 irons or two 6 irons would also work. It just depends on where you start to feel you need the extra help. 

If it were me I'd most likely do two 8 irons. But I'd have to test them to know for sure. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I wouldn't think you'd have to make any lie adjustments. ... I guess maybe a half degree. Perhaps slight loft adjustments. But maybe not. My guess is you may want to carry (2) eight-irons. Or something like that. 

Here's my guess:

Those would blend nicely. Two 7 irons or two 6 irons would also work. It just depends on where you start to feel you need the extra help. 

If it were me I'd most likely do two 8 irons. But I'd have to test them to know for sure. 

4 and 5 iron are JPX. They are easier to hit (for me). I have 4-G in the 221's but just replaced the 4 and 5 irons. All are 1/2 degree flat. 

Edited by Bucki1968

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Here's my guess:

Chris Voshall does a pretty in depth discussion on the necessary adjustments to blend the different sets.  I believe I saw it on YouTube, if anyone wants to see it I can try to find it.

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

4 and 5 iron are JPX. They are easier to hit (for me). I have 4-G in the 221's but just replaced the 4 and 5 irons. All are 1/2 degree flat. 

Interesting you you didn’t have to change anything, based on what I saw from the Voshall discussion.

• 8 months later...
On 5/19/2020 at 6:51 PM, billchao said:

I remember that article, so Mark's results don't surprise me in the least bit ;-)

It's why I'm not getting rid of my blades now that I'm playing cavity backs again. One day...

Have to keep in mind though that this is a high skilled player performing this test. His definition of "very poor strike" is a good strike by my standards.

Blades are going to perform better around the sweetspot than cavity backs, because by design, cavity backs have less mass behind the sweetspot than blades do. There is going to be more variation in the result from the collision of the club and ball. Where you're going to see the design advantage of a cavity back is farther away from the sweet spot than 5mm.

You are correct.  A player with IACAS' skill could could very likely turn in a , what I would consider a "dream round " with about any set of irons you put in his hands. Further, because of his skill, he likely would have better scores with Players' Irons than Game Improvement Irons.  But I appreciate those data he posted which confirm that skilled players probably should be playing with Players' clubs.  

I looked for data that was taken using an "Iron Byron" comparing the cavity back irons to players Irons.  I am pretty sure those data exist, and just as sure it will be difficult to gain access to. So I didn't find such data  in my half hour search.  But, I'll keep trying because 5 mm is less than 0.2 inches and we 20 something handicap players call that part of the sweet spot.  

Butch

On 5/21/2023 at 2:09 PM, ghalfaire said:

I looked for data that was taken using an "Iron Byron" comparing the cavity back irons to players Irons.  I am pretty sure those data exist, and just as sure it will be difficult to gain access to. So I didn't find such data  in my half hour search.  But, I'll keep trying because 5 mm is less than 0.2 inches and we 20 something handicap players call that part of the sweet spot.  

There used to be a video that showed blade irons had a tighter dispersion. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 months later...

Irons really have come so far, like my irons aren't even anywhere near new anymore, they are Mizuno JPX 919 forged, but they are miles and miles better than my old mp57s or mp58s

Colin P.