Jump to content
IGNORED

On The PUP List


mcanadiens
 Share

Recommended Posts

Obviously, the business of taking medical advice online to heart is dumb and I fear a trip to the doctor may well be necessary. But. ...

I woke up Monday with a pain in my right bicep area. Basically it's ok unless I extend my arm laterally (kind of like you'd do in a back swing), then it hurts significantly. 

Originally, my assumption was that I slept on it wrongly and it would go away in a day or so. It even seemed slightly better Tuesday morning, but no real progress since then. Can't think of anything specific that might have caused it. but golf is probably out for this weekend.

Anyone have anything like that? Does that sound like some sort of repetitive motion problem?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

It's getting easier for me to list parts of my body that DON'T hurt on a regular basis. It's getting worse since I cancelled my gym membership.

Don't doubt that, but you are friggin older than I am.

This bull crap is supposed to happen to you. Not me. 🙂 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hope you get well soon, @mcanadiens. Was this spurred on by an excessive amount of golf? Last August I either bruised or fractured a rib after overdoing it on the course. Put me down for 4ish weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

I hope you get well soon, @mcanadiens. Was this spurred on by an excessive amount of golf? Last August I either bruised or fractured a rib after overdoing it on the course. Put me down for 4ish weeks. 

That's the pisser. If anything it's the opposite.

Took a week off after the Club Championship disaster. Played Saturday. Did nothing much Sunday and now I'm hurting. Go figure.

Well, we'll see how it goes. Don't want to give away money just to have them tell me to take it easy.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, mcanadiens said:

Well, we'll see how it goes. Don't want to give away money just to have them tell me to take it easy.

Indeed. I hope it isn't serious, and taking it easy seems to be the right play (or at least it has been for me on this kind of stuff).

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

I fear a trip to the doctor may well be necessary.

Don't do anything silly like that. Doctors are for wimps. Give it a rest and make sure you stretch and warm up properly once you feel ready, and make sure you ease back into it. I had to lay off golf for a couple of weeks once due to a shoulder injury. When I came back I used an extra club or two and swung easier.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
22 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Obviously, the business of taking medical advice online to heart is dumb and I fear a trip to the doctor may well be necessary. But. ...

I woke up Monday with a pain in my right bicep area. Basically it's ok unless I extend my arm laterally (kind of like you'd do in a back swing), then it hurts significantly. 

Originally, my assumption was that I slept on it wrongly and it would go away in a day or so. It even seemed slightly better Tuesday morning, but no real progress since then. Can't think of anything specific that might have caused it. but golf is probably out for this weekend.

Anyone have anything like that? Does that sound like some sort of repetitive motion problem?

I had a bicep strain from shoveling two winters ago that took months to heal. I could still play. The pain was on the tendon going into the elbow joint from the muscle.

Ice it three or four times a day for a couple of days then do heat. You need to reduce inflammation first, then get it to heal. Try to avoid straining it. I did PT and they had me do very light bicep curls, but it that was after a couple of weeks healing. When I played, I wore a compression sleeve.

See your Dr if icing doesn’t help in a few days.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks @Carl3 and @boogielicious.

It has been feeling slightly better with each day, so I should be safe from the doctor anyway.

The ice sounds like a good idea, so I'll give that a shot. 

Now the question becomes what the heck I do with my weekend. I'm actually fairly caught up on yard work to. Guess I'll go get a book to read.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, mcanadiens said:

Thanks @Carl3 and @boogielicious.

It has been feeling slightly better with each day, so I should be safe from the doctor anyway.

The ice sounds like a good idea, so I'll give that a shot. 

Now the question becomes what the heck I do with my weekend. I'm actually fairly caught up on yard work to. Guess I'll go get a book to read.

You can also use this time to work on things that don't require full swing like gripping the club, putting, chip shots. Think about what you can do instead of doing nothing. Just a thought.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

You can also use this time to work on things that don't require full swing like gripping the club, putting, chip shots. Think about what you can do instead of doing nothing. Just a thought.

I'm sure I'll find something to do.

If the weather holds up, knocking around the practice green will probably happen. Those short-game shots are finicky things that need to be fed regularly. No sense letting that go to hell.

Besides, I can do that much for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Thanks @Carl3 and @boogielicious.

It has been feeling slightly better with each day, so I should be safe from the doctor anyway.

The ice sounds like a good idea, so I'll give that a shot. 

Now the question becomes what the heck I do with my weekend. I'm actually fairly caught up on yard work to. Guess I'll go get a book to read.

At this point you’ll want to use ice and heat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For what it's worth, I feel back to normal now. Even hit some balls (gently) at the range yesterday and am feeling no ill effects now.

Not sure now if this was some kind of fluke, but I guess the wiser thing would be to assume it isn't and try to do more preventive things to keep it from happening again.

 

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

For what it's worth, I feel back to normal now. Even hit some balls (gently) at the range yesterday and am feeling no ill effects now.

Not sure now if this was some kind of fluke, but I guess the wiser thing would be to assume it isn't and try to do more preventive things to keep it from happening again.

 

If you can, wear a compression sleeve while hitting at the range for a while. Mats and repetition can aggravate it. You may not need it on the course, but the area is still healing.

  • Thumbs Up 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Probably. Although some teens chose to defy their parents and get immunized. Less likely, I'm guessing, with younger kids.
    • Probably will fall along the lines of what their parents chose to do. 
    • As someone who did this last summer and then had a tantalizing but disappointing season this year, remember that you need time to make the major mechanical adjustments sink in but then you also need time to learn how to hit shots with those new mechanics. Or at least I did (after doing all my mechanics work into a net). On your swing, it isn't nearly wide enough at the top. Among other things, that makes it way harder to shallow the club on the down swing. And it's really difficult to change from a steep to a shallow down swing regardless! At the top your right arm should be making at most an 80˚ angle. And many (most?) are closer to 90˚. The drill that got me over the hump was to take a kids swim floaty and put it just above my elbow such that at 90˚ I was solidly starting to squeeze it and it felt like a major squeeze if I tried to close my elbow any more than that. Then you'll really feel it in your swing when you get narrow and fold your elbow at the top. It'll feel like you're taking like 1/2 swings in order not to fold too much.
    • I'm not giving up the fight. We can change it back.
  • Today's Birthdays


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...