IGNORED

Is Long John toast?

Q.Q.Quillume
Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

You are correct as alcoholism and addiction are illnesses as defined as the AMA. The difference between a mom with cancer and an alcoholic is usually that the person that has cancer knows it while the alcoholic is usually the last person to figure it out. The big reason is denial...it's not a river in Egypt.

True, the American Medical Association(AMA) does view addiction as an illness. I however, see no real difference between a practicing alcoholic and the woman with cancer... The alcoholics denial(not a river) is merely a symptom of the illness... much like a tumor is a symptom of certain cancers. I see both as terrible and sad, but symptoms, none the less.

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, the American Medical Association(AMA) does view addiction as an illness. I however, see no real difference between a practicing alcoholic and the woman with cancer... The alcoholics denial(not a river) is merely a symptom of the illness... much like a tumor is a symptom of certain cancers.

I agree. The alcoholic's denial, along with the behavior (ie excessive drinking, broken promises, wrecked relationships, etc ) are just symptoms of the disease which is comprised of a physical compulsion coupled with a mental obsession. Unfortunately, Alcoholism has a social stigma and is viewed as a mental weakness because many have abused alcohol and beat it without ever having the addiction piece. There is a point when alchohol abuse crosses the line and becomes alcoholism the disease.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Kudos to Butch for parting ways. I wonder if they will stop airing that horrible Winn grips commercial now!

I agree, those Winn grip commercials are really annoying. As for JD, I never really cared for him.

Daly is not among the more than 50 PGA Tour Pros listed as being on on the TaylorMade Tour Staff: See

it might be because he doesn't have his card, or maybe he just isn't sponsored by them. just speculating

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

I wish Daly could get himself straightened out. He's got more raw talent than most, if not all, of the other PGA Tour players. He just cannot take advantage of it, because of his off-course demons and decisions. I'm afraid his window for turning things around may be closing.

That said, this is a pretty funny video about a cross promotion that seems a natural for Daly:
http://www.heavy.com/video/41693

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wish Daly could get himself straightened out. He's got more raw talent than most, if not all, of the other PGA Tour players.

It bugs me when people say golfers have talent.

The definition of talent in the dictionary is natural endowments of a person. Golf swings are built not magiclly endowed at birth.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

JD's mulligan for this weeks event.

Just saw on golf channel that he played a round Sunday with the pro am partners he was supposed to play with on Wednesday.

Played at Celebration...JD was in jean shorts...swinging away. Must have said 3 times how sorry he was for screwing up earlier this week.

Yes...everyone can put a chalkmark in JD's "good" column.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

JD's mulligan for this weeks event.

Just wondering: how did he make it up to Imada and O'Hern?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

John Daly like him or not is great for the game. He makes mistakes yes-but everyone loves the guy. Out of all the pro golfers i had a chance to play with other than T-WOOOO i would choose to play with John. Hes the nicest guy in the world and loves everyone. I just hope he can stay on tour for a long time

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Just wondering: how did he make it up to Imada and O'Hern?

Frankly, what happened to them is their fault not john's. They were responsible for being there and they weren't... "rules are rules" and they should have known them.

Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

Frankly, what happened to them is their fault not john's. They were responsible for being there and they weren't... "rules are rules" and they should have known them.

I don't deny that it's their fault for not being there. How is it not

also John Daly's fault? Or should everyone in the tournament but not in the pro-am be there from the first pro-am tee time onward?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I don't deny that it's their fault for not being there. How is it not

Well there are alternates for a reason, and if you are an alternate you should know that its your responsibility to know when you need to be at the golf course "just in case". Both those guys, if i understand correctly, thought they were supposed to be there in the afternoon, but were the first two in line for the morning set of alternates.

No, not everyone need be at the pro am at 830 am. But if you are the first alternate and you aren't there when they call on you, thats your fault 100 percent. And why is nobody blaming Imada for screwing O'Hern? He is as much at fault for O'Hern's DQ as JD...
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

• Administrator
John Daly like him or not is great for the game.

I disagree. I think in recent years his behavior has been nothing but a negative. He's no longer in contention enough to "attract a wider audience" and, quite frankly, I never cared for the audience he brought to golf. Politically correct or not, I simply don't care for the obnoxious, beer-drinkin' redneck golf fan who is more interested in yelling so he can tell Bubba Joe to listen for him on TV than in watching golf.

He makes mistakes yes-but everyone loves the guy.

Not everyone loves him, no.

I just hope he can stay on tour for a long time

He's not officially on the PGA Tour now. Hasn't been for years. He just gets sponsor exemptions, and those are gonna dry up pretty quickly if he keeps acting this way.

I'll say it again: John Daly doesn't even have his PGA Tour card. That's how bad he's been playing for several years. Everyone else you see week to week on the PGA Tour? They deserve it 10x more than John Daly. It saddens me that people profess all this "love" for John Daly but yet continue to overlook his many, many perhaps fatal flaws. True love would mean getting his ass in shape. John appears to be surrounded by nothing but hangers-on and enablers, and that includes most of his "fans." It's sickening. I've said before and I'll say again: JD may have more natural talent in his pinkie than Tiger Woods has in his entire body. But John's story is far more sad than happy.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

But John's story is far more sad than happy.

I agree.

Not some redneck that yells at the tournament either, He is enjoyable to watch (last years British Open was fun while it lasted). IF he can get in some sort of reasonable shape and maybe only drink 4 Miller Lite's a night he might be competitive in some tournaments. How often does he see his kids? That has to be hard if he doesn't see them much.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Im kind of disappointed. People seem to think John is more wrong than right. I want to tell you something--I dont see to many other tour pros giving money to charities like John does. John Daly has given a lot of money to the St. Jude charities for young kids-but that never gets put in the paper. John has done more corporate work than anyone on tour other than Tiger. So what if he drinks-thats his business-but at the end of the day its John Daly that has given the PGA Tour more corporate responsibiliy work than anyone

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Note: This thread is 5711 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!