IGNORED

Justin Thomas Curses and in 2021 Uses Homophobic Slurs

iacas

F&#%  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have a problem or dislike Justin Thomas (or anyone else, really) cursing on TV while playing golf?

• Yes, it's a problem.
    • No, no problem here.

42 minutes ago, iacas said:

Was his apology sincere, though? Or was it just to protect his sponsorships, his image, etc.?

I’m pretty sure that his apology was sincere. Mainly because from what I’ve heard and read about JT, he doesn’t sound like the type of person who would use that kind of language. I mean, yes, it does slip out occasionally, but it still surprised me.

I read that Scott Piercy lost like five sponsors for this same sort of thing, and it would be disappointing, but not surprising if Justin fell down the same hole. I really hope this doesn’t ruin him though.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, dagolfer18 said:

Mainly because from what I’ve heard and read about JT, he doesn’t sound like the type of person who would use that kind of language. I mean, yes, it does slip out occasionally, but it still surprised me.

What?

That word does not “slip out” occasionally. Unless discussing a story like this I haven’t used that word since before you were born. When I was younger than you.

He is the type of person who would use that word because he did.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Love the aerial views of the holes, minus that it’s always Molokai in the background, and #9 then #15 are brutal holes so it’s comforting in a small way to see them struggle to get it on the green in two. I did birdie #17 once with a 100’ chip in, but few swings are as fun as teeing off on #18. Great to see how those guys got around the track, and it’s a good thing mics are kept off most football players. 

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

What?

That word does not “slip out” occasionally. Unless discussing a story like this I haven’t used that word since before you were born. When I was younger than you.

He is the type of person who would use that word because he did.

It’s not a word I would say...EVER in front of another human.

However, my buddy and his little brother growing up called each other the word everyday.  My buddy turned out to be gay. No big deal - who cares.

I could see the word slipping from either of them. When words are programmed in teenage years..they can rear their ugly head.

Not ready to condemn JT, but he must watch his mouth. Give me a break, that’s unacceptable when knowing you could be “mic’d up”

• Administrator

Yup.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hm... what an odd thing to say. 

I mean, who says that? I'm not offended. I am confused because I didn't know that word was still in circulation. 

Has anyone used that word in the last 25 years? 

I really want to take him at his word. I do tend to agree with @iacas on this one, though. If that's the word you choose to pull out when frustrated I'm guessing that's because it's top of mind. 

• Like 2

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I mean, who says that? I'm not offended. I am confused because I didn't know that word was still in circulation.

It's hardly something anyone would use in daily conversation, but I'd imagine the vast majority of people know what it means.

When you are swearing at yourself (and I do quite a lot of that), thoughtfulness and rationality go right out the window. I wouldn't make it some sort of deep dive into JT's psychology here. 

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

When you are swearing at yourself (and I do quite a lot of that), thoughtfulness and rationality go right out the window. I wouldn't make it some sort of deep dive into JT's psychology here. 

It doesn’t take a deep dive. It was top of his mind. I will swear a lot, and that word never comes to mind, despite me being old enough that we said shit like that back when we were 15.

It never comes to mind.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

It's hardly something anyone would use in daily conversation, but I'd imagine the vast majority of people know what it means.

You are right, of course. Everyone knows what it means. I just haven't heard anyone use in such a long time. It's like nobody says "Bejabbers!" anymore, or "23 Skidoo", or "Hella" (as in "That's Hella-cool.") or "Here's a quarter, go call someone who cares." We all know what they mean, but I bet its been a long time since you've heard anyone actually say them. 

29 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

23 Skidoo

Almost choked on my coffee on this one.

Actually didn't know what that means. Apparently, it is a slang expression to leave quickly. 

Learned something today.

Edited by mcanadiens

1 minute ago, mcanadiens said:

Almost choked on my coffee on this one.

Actually didn't know what that means. Apparently, it is a slang expression to leave quickly. 

Learned something today.

My 5th grade teacher used to say it all the time when he'd leave a room. He was a might quirky to say the least, because that was 1981 and the phrase was already long dead. Apparently its in some old Marx Brothers' film. 🤪

• Administrator

I’m more on the side that his PR apology was the least he could do, but shit like that is going WAY too far.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I’m more on the side that his PR apology was the least he could do, but shit like that is going WAY too far.

I seem to remember you insulting my headcover out at the Chautauqua Golf Club/Learning Center... Can I have a 1/2 million dollars? 

Or you could just donate it to a charity that serves the insulted headcover community. 

😃

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I seem to remember you insulting my headcover out at the Chautauqua Golf Club/Learning Center... Can I have a 1/2 million dollars? 

Or you could just donate it to a charity that serves the insulted headcover community. 

I didn’t insult your headcover.

I made fun of you for having the headcover. 🙂

1 minute ago, iacas said:

I didn’t insult your headcover.

I made fun of you for having the headcover. 🙂

Hmm... You may actually have me on that one.

Does that mean I only get the half-mil if I feel insulted? ...

I'm confused. 

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Hmm... You may actually have me on that one.

Does that mean I only get the half-mil if I feel insulted? ...

I'm confused. 

You’re not an oppressed group.

And you can deduct half a million from the white belt payments you were judged to have owed to us. I think that reduction brings your current total down to $16.5M.

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, Zippo said:

Thumbs down to Justin Thomas for this incident and thumbs up for what sounds like a sincere apology from him:

PGA Tour: Justin Thomas uses homophobic slur after missing putt (nypost.com)

Maybe he was listening to The Pogues. Their song stirred up the yearly debate just this Christmas of that lyric from Fairytale of New York and the BBC chose to censor it. It's not censored on Spotify last I checked (edit - nope, word is still there)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I have noticed how grumpy and entitled Thomas has become over the last year or two. Less of a fan than I was.

One thing that is certain is that it can't possibly be the first time he's used the word and secondly, the cut and paste apology  - "It's not who I am (followed by) "as a person" (redundant phrase which is always used), the translation is as follows:

"I am pissed that my true character has been revealed."

A bit like cheats being caught cheating and saying they aren't cheats.

Main "takeaway" though, is that Tour players have to know that shotgun mics and cameras are everywhere and reputations live and die on a few seconds of audio or video. 

I'll give him a strike on this one, hopefully he's learnt a lesson.

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.