IGNORED

Played My First Big Scramble

RetiredOldMan
Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played my 1st big Charity Golf Tournament today in Dodge City, Kansas. ( Maraiah Hills ) 36 teams of 4 with a shotgun start. 

It was a 4 man scramble. We finished 8 under with a 63. The winner was a 55 with 16 under. 

We did, however, finish in the bottom of the Championship Flight. 

It was a blast. I managed to play very well by keeping my ball in the fairway and letting the others go for longer drives. I also made two birdie putts.  

We were Doing very well until we stopped for lunch and lost our momentum. It was a blast. I still came away with several freebie gifts. 

Looking forward to doing it again.

Retired Old Man

• Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Played My First Big Scramble

Scrambles are such a fun alternative, though I never seem to do well.  I suspect it is because sinking those birdie putts are so important for a low score, and I suck at putting. Thanks for sharing this with us.  Please tell us about your next one.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my league we are older retired folks and we play a best ball scramble each week. We do it to speed up the game and get to the 19th as quickly as possible. Last week my partner brought his 30 year old son to play with us. He is a 8 handicap player and can really play well compared to the rest of us. We're 236 yards out and he puts it on the green. Needless to say we came in 6 under and won the match. I really like playing with someone who is a lot better then myself, brings my game up. 

As you said, I would hit first and put it in the fairway then let the other guys go for it. 

Great day.

• Thumbs Up 1

love scrambles because they tend to cover my deficiencies. I tend to have that one shot that creates three more...the ill-timed pull when I have been fading all day that somehow bounces sideways behind a tree with no clear lane out in any direction. Get back to fairway in three, overshoot green, chip back, have my one 3-putt for the day...scramble ignores that. My partners 130 yard dribbler in the first cut is much better than my grade a smurf up.

Good place to go low and have fun trying stuff you normally wouldn't

Scrambles can be a lot of fun to play in.But to me it is not golf, and usually my normal game suffers for a while after I play in one. This is because you are usually trying to hit shots that you are not capable of doing. You are always trying to get that extra few yards out of a driver, knowing that if you screw up, there is usually someone hitting behind you that will bail you out. But for most it is a way to compete, and mostly to just have fun. 

• 3 weeks later...

Played 2 man scrambled at Ellis Golf Club in Ellis, Kansas. (Senior) Probably a little over 50 payers. 

We placed 1st in the 3rd flight and even won some money!

Number 8 hole, from the fairway, I hit an 8 iron/hybrid, and backed the ball up just like the pro's. 

I also birdied #3 par 3 by hitting about 3' from the pin. 

Very rewarding day for me and my partner. 

He was hitting the long drives and I was playing the short game. 

Front = 39 and Back - 35 for a 74 total. 

Retired Old Man

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Mallet Style Putter 

On 9/7/2020 at 10:32 AM, colin007 said:

Glad you had a good time!!

I, OTOH, have never had an overall good time at even one of the dozens of shambles I've played.

Colin007, 

That is too bad. Do you have any reasons for not liking scrambles or playing with others? 

Nervous, mis-matched, jut hard to concentrate with all the other stuff going on?

I play with a bunch of old retired guys and leave the younger players alone. The younger players seem to try and out do their peers, whereas us older players are content to just play and be glad we are in the fairway. 

Maybe it will improve for you as you keep playing. (The more you play, the better you will play.) 

Retired Old Man

Mallet Style Putter 

A couple of years ago I played in a scramble where I literally shanked every iron shot I took. We used a few of my drives and several putts...but the majority of the day was pure misery for me. One par three generated a lovely crowd as it was by a gathering with people having drinks. All three of my group hit decent shots and I contemplated not even bothering. But ohhh nooo...I’m gonna hit this 7i and finally get these shanks outta my system.

Yeah no.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

As someone who has always been the D player in a scramble, I normally find them fun.  There's no pressure on me, so I make the best swing I can without worrying about it and normally stick at least a few to help the cause. When calm, my putting stroke isn't too awful, so if I don't make the putt myself, I'm giving my better teammates are decent read. 

The exception is when you end up on a team with someone you truly dislike. In any other context, you only need to be near the guy on the tee and the green. With scrambles you are all together for every bleeding shot. 

On 8/28/2020 at 11:58 PM, RetiredOldMan said:

I played my 1st big Charity Golf Tournament today in Dodge City, Kansas. ( Maraiah Hills ) 36 teams of 4 with a shotgun start. 

It was a 4 man scramble. We finished 8 under with a 63. The winner was a 55 with 16 under. 

We did, however, finish in the bottom of the Championship Flight. 

It was a blast. I managed to play very well by keeping my ball in the fairway and letting the others go for longer drives. I also made two birdie putts.  

We were Doing very well until we stopped for lunch and lost our momentum. It was a blast. I still came away with several freebie gifts. 

Looking forward to doing it again.

Retired Old Man

Scrambles are definitely a blast. I played in one yesterday with some friends, and we had a ton of fun. We all hit a great shot at some point in the round. I enjoy scramble tournaments because you have more opportunities to be aggressive since you have teammates to fall back on if you hit a bad one.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

On 9/28/2020 at 1:54 PM, RetiredOldMan said:

Colin007, 

That is too bad. Do you have any reasons for not liking scrambles or playing with others? 

Nervous, mis-matched, jut hard to concentrate with all the other stuff going on?

I play with a bunch of old retired guys and leave the younger players alone. The younger players seem to try and out do their peers, whereas us older players are content to just play and be glad we are in the fairway. 

Maybe it will improve for you as you keep playing. (The more you play, the better you will play.) 

Retired Old Man

Well, for one, I enjoy playing golf and playing in a scramble is not playing golf. They also take far too long, anything over 4 1/2 hours, and most scrambles are over five hours, is just too long to be out doing any kind of golf activity. Also, I don't enjoy The uncertainty of the weather, you pony up 80 or 90 bucks a few months in advance to play in a scramble and then you see that there's a monsoon coming through and you don't get your money back. And the cheating. Lol.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!