IGNORED

Irons v Hybrids - Returning Sr Player Long Layoff

Note: This thread is 1260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have come back to the game after 24 year layoff & age 72. Taking lessons and have a Big Bertha driver, which I now consistently hit 180-185 yards with little dispersion. Family bought me a set of Callaway Big Bertha 4-AW set. Senior shafts

Question is use a 3 fairway wood or 3 Hybrid or 4 hybrid even? Currently have only the driver and 4 iron and above, feel I need to fill in the gap

Not really looking for distance but rather keeping the ball in play. Sorry for the history but wanted to frame question properly

should mention that the teaching pro I use has been very good about not pushing me either way

thanks

• iacas changed the title to Irons v Hybrids - Returning Sr Player Long Layoff
  • Administrator

I'd recommend going to a demo day and trying out a few different combos. See what you can hit, and what fills the gap well.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Welcome to TST!  Erik has given you some great advice.   

Hit the clubs before you buy them.   You might find that your 4 iron is difficult to hit and a hybrid may take its place.  Another option may be to look at a 7 wood.   Either way, make sure you hit them before you buy them.   Clubs have changed significantly in the last 24 years!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I quit playing in 1972. 

I started playing again in 2018. I played with a set of MDX irons with a stiff shaft.

I was losing distance and bought a set of hybrid irons with a senior shaft. 

Had a difficult time getting the feel of the irons and placing my hitting the green. 

Got mad and pissed off and out of frustration, swung my new irons with new vigor and determination. 

This made a big difference in my hybrid/ iron performance. In other words, don’t let the “Senior Flex” label make you need to swing easy because of your age. 

Haul off and hit the irons with purpose. They can handle the swing. I just played a scramble with a 61 ear old, who takes a good size divot, and hits the ball great. 

Be patient, the old game will come back. 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

I'm 69 years old and like you only drive the ball 180 to 190 yards. I hit my 3W just as far so I use that a lot off the tee. As far as long irons go, I don't hit anything high then a 7 iron, I use hybrids. My set up is driver, 3W, 5W, 7W, 19* hybrid, 25* hybrid and 7 on down. I cover all my distance with those clubs. I cannot hit a 6 to 4 to save my life, don't ask me why, wish I could. But I hit hybrids very well and along with the 7W I'm in good shape, (although you wouldn't know it from my index but that has more to due with my short game which sucks).

Welcome back to the game, enjoy yourself, no pressure.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 8:01 PM, iacas said:

I'd recommend going to a demo day and trying out a few different combos. See what you can hit, and what fills the gap well.

What Erik said....

My personal set - Driver, 3HL wood (17*loft), 5wood (19*) - yea pretty close loft wise but it works, 4h (22*), 5i-PW (44*), 50* & 58* wedges.  The distancing gapping for me with this setup is Driver -180; 3wHL-166; 5w -154; 4h - 145; 5i - 129....you get the picture.  I don't hit the ball far by any means, but gapping wise this works.  I deal with some serious swing issues, namely proper weight transfer due to a left foot injury back in '16.  Highly recommend the 30-day Practice Plan Erik ( @iacas ) put together, just do a search for it and his book, Lowest Score Wins.  Together it will get you back in the total swing of things!  

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

On 8/29/2020 at 10:42 AM, Falbert said:

Have come back to the game after 24 year layoff & age 72. Taking lessons and have a Big Bertha driver, which I now consistently hit 180-185 yards with little dispersion. Family bought me a set of Callaway Big Bertha 4-AW set. Senior shafts

Question is use a 3 fairway wood or 3 Hybrid or 4 hybrid even? Currently have only the driver and 4 iron and above, feel I need to fill in the gap

Not really looking for distance but rather keeping the ball in play. Sorry for the history but wanted to frame question properly

should mention that the teaching pro I use has been very good about not pushing me either way

thanks

Welcome back to the game and welcome to the forum. 
How far do you hit your 4 iron? If you hit it 180 and you hit your driver 185, there's no room or need for a club in between. If you hit your driver 185 and your 4 iron 100, there's a lot of room. You may need a couple of clubs up in that end of the bag. 

Personally, when I was a youngster I hated hybrids. As I've reached a certain maturity, now I love them and carry 2 of them which fit between my 3 wood and 5 iron in terms of distance. 

Edited by ChetlovesMer

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

On 9/24/2020 at 9:56 PM, Montymau said:

The fli hi hybrid is a hybrid in a iron length shaft to match the length of the iron and very easy to hit

@FalbertHere's some experience, for what it may be worth, I'm 75 (this month) and have suffered injuries periodically due to RA incl. knee replacement in March. For about 4 years I tried to find the right combo for me. I would say Yes go with hybrids and pay close attention to shafts flex, weight and launch characteristics.

My Fli-Hi's are my go to clubs for the longer 2nd shots. As @Montymau said, easy to hit. But as all said...Please go find a shop where you can hit the clubs you have your eye on. Also, I found there's a lot of variation within shafts-some "Senior" a little stiffer or a little more flexible, or have different flex points. My irons are a Regular but less stiff than normal.

Best of luck in your search, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I am 84 and was just fitted with Mizuno 921 hot metals and added 2 Fli-Hi hybrids in 4 and 5 with the same shaft, The Fli-Hi in the Mizuno line is a hybrid in a iron shaft. My clubs arrived  two days ago and will work on distance control today.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/4/2020 at 2:48 AM, Montymau said:

I am 84 and was just fitted with Mizuno 921 hot metals and added 2 Fli-Hi hybrids in 4 and 5 with the same shaft, The Fli-Hi in the Mizuno line is a hybrid in a iron shaft. My clubs arrived  two days ago and will work on distance control today.

Wow that's inspiring mate, 84 and going for it well done. Agree better to hit before you buy, I'm only 71 and coming back after 3 months in hospital.  Love my golf whatever my handicap, still trying lol...

I will be 74 tomorrow. (11/13/2020) 

I have a Hot launch Senior flex driver (12* offset and 12* loft) . #3 & #5 woods are regular flex. (Callaway X and Rogue) 

#3 through #PW are Majek hybrids with senior flex shafts. 

My Loft wedge (60*) and A  wedge (52*) are stiff shafts. 

I carry a 17 handicap and started playing again 3 years ago after quitting in 1975. 

I found I was trying to "Baby" my hybrids. Finally, just started swinging them like my regular irons, take a slight divot, and I like the way they play really well. 

Welcome Back, 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Note: This thread is 1260 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!