ckp160

What Is a Respectable Handicap?

51 posts / 2362 viewsLast Reply

2 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Chet, if Bryson DeChambeau caught up with you on the 2nd hole (because it's a par 4 and he drove the green while you were putting out) would you let him join you... knowing he's a slow player?  😁  (It's Monday... "Difficult Ethics Question" day.)

I'll be honest. ... ABSOLUTELY! 

I'm kind of a BDC Fan. I know, I know, that's not a popular stance. But a buddy of mine and I met him and he was real cool to us. He signed my buddy's F9 Driver headcover. He seemed like a good dude. Definitely a different kind of dude, and I know he's made mistakes. Yelling at the camera guy was a bad look. Going over and basically crying in the corner when he was hitting it poorly on the range, taking what was it, 45 minutes to hit a putt, those are bad moments. But I still contend he's not a bad guy. Maybe just needs to grow up a bit. But when I look back at myself 25 years ago... I did some pretty immature things as well.

Okay, now back to your regularly scheduled thread. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just now, Double Mocha Man said:

Chet, if Bryson DeChambeau caught up with you on the 2nd hole (because it's a par 4 and he drove the green while you were putting out) would you let him join you... knowing he's a slow player?  😁  (It's Monday... "Difficult Ethics Question" day.)

I'd get out my camera phone and start "hurting his brand" ("this a****** just hit into me).....

55 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

My earlier 12 handicap declaration was a bit arbitrary.  I'm happy to play with anyone as long as they can enjoy good conversation and banter a bit.  I'm always up for hearing a good life story.  Oh hell, I'm even up for making a new friend.  Even if their handicap is 36.

Yeah most everyone is like that.  We all mostly mind our own games, want people to keep up pace, and want to play with others that are nice to play a round with.  No disrespect to the other posters, but the posts that said that are kind of "duh."

At least you answered the question though!

I’ve been playing with groups before breaking 100. I was taught etiquette, if my swing was totally missing that round I picked up at double bogie, and I didn’t look for a ball that was obviously GONE.

I play to a 20, which means I will still shoot an above 100 but knowing how to not impose on others keeps it moving.

Warning: if you really suck I’ll know.  You know how I’ll know? I’ll be helping you look for your ball on every swing.  I didn’t pay money to be your caddie.  If you remember that and learn to abandon the futile search for your ball in the tick infested brush we can play.  

10 minutes ago, gjunkie57 said:

Warning: if you really suck I’ll know.  You know how I’ll know? I’ll be helping you look for your ball on every swing.  I didn’t pay money to be your caddie.  If you remember that and learn to abandon the futile search for your ball in the tick infested brush we can play.  

But that Pro V1 cost over 4 bucks!  That's money that could fund my 401K!  Or buy me enough gas to drive a mile...

Just now, gjunkie57 said:

I’ve been playing with groups before breaking 100. I was taught etiquette, if my swing was totally missing that round I picked up at double bogie, and I didn’t look for a ball that was obviously GONE.

I play to a 20, which means I will still shoot an above 100 but knowing how to not impose on others keeps it moving.

No need to pick up at DB, but definitely appreciate the non-search for obviously lost (and will be never be found) balls.

I always play for a true score unless there is something extremely pressing or we aren't keeping up. I have never had this happen, with the exception of someone in the group needed to get a cart back before (x) time for darkness.

5 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

No need to pick up at DB, but definitely appreciate the non-search for obviously lost (and will be never be found) balls.

I know CD and BDC and BC.  But what is DB?  Defensive Back?  Life is too full of acronyms...

22 hours ago, ckp160 said:

What do you consider a respectable handicap?  I ask because I walked 9 the other day and the course was sort of backed up and the fellow in front of me asked if I wanted to tee off with him.  I declined because, frankly, I'm terrible.  I'm perfectly comfortable with my game when it's just me.  I'm working on it like most golfers, but I'm uncomfortable playing with others who I don't know.

When did you feel like you were an average golfer who wasn't an abomination on the course?  I know everybody wants to get better, but when did you feel like it was okay to talk golf with somebody? 

I think any hdcp of 15, or lower is decent. Stats may say different, idk. I also think any number higher is not a terrible thing either. Every golfer has been there. 

As for one's hdcp, and pace of play, that's not a big deal either. Pace of play will always be what it is that day, for that round. 

I'm a decent enough golfer that I play with higher hdcps all the time.  Quite a few don't even have hndcps. Again, it's not a big deal. I think playing with better golfers breeds better, more relaxed comfort levels. Those comfort levels breed better scores.  Again, most every golfer who has stayed with the game were not as good as others with more expirience. 

Just play your game, and don't worry what others might be thinking. 

27 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I know CD and BDC and BC.  But what is DB?  Defensive Back?  Life is too full of acronyms...

Double bogie pick up write down triple.  

2 hours ago, gjunkie57 said:

Double bogie pick up write down triple.  

Can you elaborate on why you would do this? The only reason that I have seen is that people don't want to see big numbers on their card. I've even seen a "12 handicap" take 10 strokes and then report double or triple.....and I don't know of any par 7s or par 8s.

I guess if you generally play slow and find yourself behind pace, this makes sense, but I've never ran into it.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Damn Ball.

Although I meant double bogey, this is probably better. I still don't see a real reason to pick up until +7ish. If you keep the pace, no issues.

11 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Can you elaborate on why you would do this? The only reason that I have seen is that people don't want to see big numbers on their card. I've even seen a "12 handicap" take 10 strokes and then report double or triple.....and I don't know of any par 7s or par 8s.

I guess if you generally play slow and find yourself behind pace, this makes sense, but I've never ran into it.

Maximum Score

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

It is my club rule.  Without it you would have players plumb bobbing for a 9. We’d be out all day.

30 minutes ago, gjunkie57 said:

It is my club rule.  Without it you would have players plumb bobbing for a 9. We’d be out all day.

Sounds like your club players could use an AimPoint Express lesson, and maybe an etiquette lesson too.