IGNORED

TST Takes on Sand Valley, WI (July 18-23, 2021)

cipher
Note: This thread is 960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, billchao said:

If Lawsonia is out, would anyone like to play Erin Hills? It’s expensive and I’m probably not going to be clamoring for more golf by the end of the trip, but this might be the only opportunity for me to play there.

I would definitely be in. Only 50 mins from MKE.

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Talked with @cipher and, not to speak for @Hardspoon, but I think our plan is:

• Play Sand Valley Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday. Return to the same house.
  • Play Lawsonia Links on Thursday.
  • Play somewhere in Milwaukee on Friday.
  • Return Saturday.

In other words, replace Thursday's round at SentryWorld with Lawsonia Links. And then y'all can play Erin Hills or whatever you want on Friday.

In other words, maybe those of you playing Lawsonia Links could stay there Thursday night… AFTER you play that day?

And we could all play it together, and then Friday would be the "free day." Most of you to Erin Hills, John, Nate, and I somewhere else (Nate's played Erin Hills, I don't care to, and John has to do what we want as I'm driving his car. 😄 Bwah ha ha ha.)

• Upvote 3

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Looks like we can make tee times months in advance for that Thursday at Lawsonia as well.  I would suggest we do that to get our ideal tee times.  I’m am definitely up for this new plan, and can provide a list of great courses for us to choose from for Friday in/near Milwaukee for those who want to play a Friday round.

• Thumbs Up 2

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

46 minutes ago, cipher said:

Looks like we can make tee times months in advance for that Thursday at Lawsonia as well.  I would suggest we do that to get our ideal tee times.  I’m am definitely up for this new plan, and can provide a list of great courses for us to choose from for Friday in/near Milwaukee for those who want to play a Friday round.

Sounds good. I’m open to other options on Friday if you know other good courses in the area. I’m not set on Erin Hills, unless that’s what @DaveP043, @GolfLug, and @DeadMan want to do.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

9 hours ago, cipher said:

Sounds like a good plan to me as well.  We can certainly look at Erin Hills, or any of the other recommendations you make.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Here are some Milwaukee area options:

Erin - The course that Mike Davis manipulated. 😂 It's expensive, and you might come away liking Sand Valley better. Be prepared to hit some blind shots if you don't take a caddy.  But it is 7731 yards if you want to play a monster of a course.

Black Wolf Run - Up near Whistling in Kohler. I've heard only good things but haven't played it. Consistently rated one of the top 5 courses in the state.  

The Irish at Whistling - It is connected to the Straits course and has views of it and also Lake Michigan. It stands on it's own though, has some neat holes and is a blast to play.    

Brown Deer Park - I would love to play this sometime. It is tree lined course in Milwaukee with a rich history. It has held many tournaments including the Greater Milwaukee Open and also this piece of history:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-professional-debut-ten-things-you-might-not-have-known-or-remembered#:~:text=Tiger Woods' professional debut%3A Ten things you might not have known,-By John Strege&text=It was 23 years ago,at the Greater Milwaukee Open.

The Bog - North of the city a little bit, haven't played it but it is very well regarded.  It hosts many WSGA events.

Hawks View Golf Club - Looks like it has two courses, also haven't played this but I have heard nice things from anyone who has. South and West of town about an hour.

The Club at Lac La Belle - Established in 1896 it has a pretty neat history to it.  It has been bought and sold a number of times over the last 10 years after it went from private to public.  It was purchased a couple years ago and the new owner expanded the land and redesigned the course for play last year. It is very unique, a lot of fun, and very challenging. It is however bit of a target golf course.  I played it twice last year and is becoming quickly one of my favorites, it runs about $150 to play though.

Naga-Waukee War Memorial Golf Course - Designed by Lawrence Packard, this is a beloved Milwaukee area local favorite. It is just west of Milwaukee in Delafield. I am able to walk to the clubhouse from my house. It is a municipal course but it is a rugged tree lined course with lots of elevation changes and view of Pewaukee Lake on a couple of the holes. It is maybe the best value for the money in the area.  I love this course.

Washington County - A little north of Erin Hills but a great course that I like to play at least once a year. It has been rated as one of the better municipal courses in the country in the past. Very few trees though and I may need to love on some trees by Friday. 😉

University Ridge - Haven't played it, it is an hour west in Madison but it is usually considered a top 10 WI course I believe.  Home of the Badger golf team.  And now host to the American Family Insurance Championship.

There might be some I am missing so feel free to do a little research as well.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 2

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

Thanks, @cipher! Definitely a good list. I also like the plan of playing Lawsonia on Thursday. To clarify, are you now thinking we won't go back to the lake house on Thursday at all? That's what I was thinking, to avoid a 4 hour car drive on the same day, but I wasn't sure.

Also...

1 hour ago, cipher said:

I may need to love on some trees by Friday. 😉

shocked double take GIF

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Thanks, @cipher! Definitely a good list. I also like the plan of playing Lawsonia on Thursday. To clarify, are you now thinking we won't go back to the lake house on Thursday at all? That's what I was thinking, to avoid a 4 hour car drive on the same day, but I wasn't sure.

Also...

shocked double take GIF

😂

Yeah, that is what I am thinking, because otherwise it makes it a 3 hour drive back to Milwaukee Friday morning. We can be flexible to what the needs of the group are but that is what I would suggest. It makes Friday a little less stressful and rushed for those flying out that afternoon. So we would be staying at my family place out there Sunday night through Wednesday night, driving to Lawsonia Thursday morning.  

Nate

• Administrator

To be clear I think the rough schedule is now:

• Sunday - Arrivals at House (late afternoon/early evening).
  • Monday - Drive to and play Sand Valley, Return
  • Tuesday - Drive to and play Sand Valley, Return
  • Wednesday - Drive to and play Sand Valley, Return
  • Thursday - Drive to and play Lawsonia Links, stay somewhere in Milwaukee
  • Friday - Plays where you want, depart for home

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That makes sense. 

At least yesterday when I looked, there was lodging available on the night of the 22nd at Lawsonia. @DaveP043, did they say anything about lodging being unavailable on the 22nd? That is an option, although I'd probably rather drive the night before. There is lodging on property at Erin Hills, but it's really expensive (like $300 a night, if I read that correctly). Probably cheaper to find a motel nearby. I'd also imagine finding somewhere in the suburbs of Milwaukee close to another course would be simple.

If we want to play Erin Hills, we should probably try to get tee times now. On their site, it says that the 22nd is already fully booked, and the 23rd has less than 50% availability :

While availability is updated routinely our reservationists will have the most current information. The 2021 season runs May 10 through October 17. For rates visit the Green Fees, Lodging, and Stay and Play Packages pages. Golf...

Scroll to July.

I'm not dead set on Erin Hills. It sounds like there's a lot of great golf around Milwaukee. But I'd be happy to play Erin Hills.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

• Administrator

FWIW @Hardspoon, @cipher, and I have room for one more wherever we end up going on Friday.

But I think we're going to push that decision until May or so. We won't be playing Erin Hills.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:23 AM, cipher said:

Here are some Milwaukee area options:

Erin - The course that Mike Davis manipulated. 😂 It's expensive, and you might come away liking Sand Valley better. Be prepared to hit some blind shots if you don't take a caddy.  But it is 7731 yards if you want to play a monster of a course.

Black Wolf Run - Up near Whistling in Kohler. I've heard only good things but haven't played it. Consistently rated one of the top 5 courses in the state.  

The Irish at Whistling - It is connected to the Straits course and has views of it and also Lake Michigan. It stands on it's own though, has some neat holes and is a blast to play.    

Brown Deer Park - I would love to play this sometime. It is tree lined course in Milwaukee with a rich history. It has held many tournaments including the Greater Milwaukee Open and also this piece of history:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/tiger-woods-professional-debut-ten-things-you-might-not-have-known-or-remembered#:~:text=Tiger Woods' professional debut%3A Ten things you might not have known,-By John Strege&text=It was 23 years ago,at the Greater Milwaukee Open.

The Bog - North of the city a little bit, haven't played it but it is very well regarded.  It hosts many WSGA events.

Hawks View Golf Club - Looks like it has two courses, also haven't played this but I have heard nice things from anyone who has. South and West of town about an hour.

The Club at Lac La Belle - Established in 1896 it has a pretty neat history to it.  It has been bought and sold a number of times over the last 10 years after it went from private to public.  It was purchased a couple years ago and the new owner expanded the land and redesigned the course for play last year. It is very unique, a lot of fun, and very challenging. It is however bit of a target golf course.  I played it twice last year and is becoming quickly one of my favorites, it runs about $150 to play though.

Naga-Waukee War Memorial Golf Course - Designed by Lawrence Packard, this is a beloved Milwaukee area local favorite. It is just west of Milwaukee in Delafield. I am able to walk to the clubhouse from my house. It is a municipal course but it is a rugged tree lined course with lots of elevation changes and view of Pewaukee Lake on a couple of the holes. It is maybe the best value for the money in the area.  I love this course.

Washington County - A little north of Erin Hills but a great course that I like to play at least once a year. It has been rated as one of the better municipal courses in the country in the past. Very few trees though and I may need to love on some trees by Friday. 😉

University Ridge - Haven't played it, it is an hour west in Madison but it is usually considered a top 10 WI course I believe.  Home of the Badger golf team.  And now host to the American Family Insurance Championship.

There might be some I am missing so feel free to do a little research as well.

Thanks, Nate.  I've played both courses at Blackwolf Run, and they really are good.  I was there in 2015, and I really don't remember what we paid, but I'm guessing it would be in the range of $200 now.  The Irish looked like fun, we didn't play there.  The Kohler website mentions that preparations might be underway for the Ryder Cup at the Straits in September, I have no idea whether that will impact the Irish Course, but its right next door.

Of the entire list, based on my look at their website, and on Nate's recommendation, I'm most intrigued by the Club at Lac La Belle.  Its interesting that this is a re-design of an older course, done by an architect who was involved with Sand Valley.  As a plus, if I read the website correctly, caddies are available for only the cost of the tip.  These would be high-school aged kids enrolled in 

which pays the caddies directly for their loop.  I'm not married to this one course, but I'm usually prone to listen when a local (and teammate on a winning Newport Cup team) tells me this is "becoming quickly one of my favorites".

And for those who like pretty pictures of golf courses, here's a little eye candy

Langford & Moreau, Lawsonia, golf in Wisconsin

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

That looks really intriguing. It's also directly on the way to the airport from Lawsonia. Google maps says 45 minute drive to the airport, so that should give us plenty of breathing room to get to the airport.

• Like 1

-- Daniel

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Thanks, Nate.  I've played both courses at Blackwolf Run, and they really are good.  I was there in 2015, and I really don't remember what we paid, but I'm guessing it would be in the range of $200 now.  The Irish looked like fun, we didn't play there.  The Kohler website mentions that preparations might be underway for the Ryder Cup at the Straits in September, I have no idea whether that will impact the Irish Course, but its right next door.

Of the entire list, based on my look at their website, and on Nate's recommendation, I'm most intrigued by the Club at Lac La Belle.  Its interesting that this is a re-design of an older course, done by an architect who was involved with Sand Valley.  As a plus, if I read the website correctly, caddies are available for only the cost of the tip.  These would be high-school aged kids enrolled in 

which pays the caddies directly for their loop.  I'm not married to this one course, but I'm usually prone to listen when a local (and teammate on a winning Newport Cup team) tells me this is "becoming quickly one of my favorites".

And for those who like pretty pictures of golf courses, here's a little eye candy

Langford & Moreau, Lawsonia, golf in Wisconsin

I’m good with whatever you guys decide, because it’s a long walk to the airport 😃

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(edited)

I would be good with La Belle, it it a very unique track now with the re-design.  I enjoyed it very much last year.   It's tough though and you have to pick and execute your tee shots.

It also has one of the craziest par 3 greens with three massive tiers. with a shot over water that is fairly intimidating.  

Spoiler

La Belle Green 1.jpg

La Belle Green 2.png

I also live only about 20 minutes from here so that is great for me.  And yes it is only about 45 minutes or so from MKE airport. 

Edited by cipher

Nate

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone else has looked at rental cars yet, but they are super expensive out of MKE. After reading an article about how there will likely be a rental car shortage this summer, I booked one just to have something. I'm looking at getting into MKE around 7pm on Sunday, leaving Friday at about 5pm, and would be happy to split the car if anyone else has flight times that match up.

The total price was about $470, which is crazy expensive. I will keep shopping and cancel if I find a better rate, but wanted to grab something now.

-- Daniel

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I don't know if anyone else has looked at rental cars yet, but they are super expensive out of MKE. After reading an article about how there will likely be a rental car shortage this summer, I booked one just to have something. I'm looking at getting into MKE around 7pm on Sunday, leaving Friday at about 5pm, and would be happy to split the car if anyone else has flight times that match up.

The total price was about $470, which is crazy expensive. I will keep shopping and cancel if I find a better rate, but wanted to grab something now.

Dan, I am sorry, I spoke with Dave couple of weeks ago about car pooling with you, @DaveP043 and @billchao. I should have mentioned. I wasn't able to find a better deal either. I think best to get a standard SUV which will be pricier but split 4 ways (I will be fully vaccinated in 2 week, in case you are wondering..). 

I am expecting it to be be closer to $700- $800 (Standard SUV for a little room) split 4 ways. 

Would that work for everyone?

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• 2 weeks later...

@cipher - @DaveP043, @billchao, and I are likely going to play Lac La Belle on Friday. Do you have any suggestions on a good area near-ish to the course to stay Thursday night? We were thinking that somewhere in the Milwaukee suburbs would be a good idea. Mostly, we're just looking for a brewery/taproom with good food within walking distance of a hotel, haha. Any thoughts? 

-- Daniel

Note: This thread is 960 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!