Jump to content
IGNORED

TST Takes on Sand Valley, WI (July 18-23, 2021)


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

There’s a fee for changing your tees. Cash only 😃

Oh lawd..I'm guessing you must be the self appointed treasure.. lol. 

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Are there senior tees available?

Only for left handers...😉 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A few pictures from Lawsonia yesterday that don’t do the place any justice:  

Thanks for the outstanding week!! Absolute dream golf trip.

My kids like their souvenirs.

Posted Images

  • Administrator
On 10/20/2020 at 4:15 PM, cipher said:

Also, we will likely want to play from around 6700+ yards or so.

From the first post, guys.

Start your speed training now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many tees are elevated, the ball is going travel a long way with the warm weather and the design of the course.  I think everyone here who I already know or have seen hit the ball should be fine.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Start your speed training now.

Completely fine. Just joking a bit. Also seems like the ball will get plenty roll. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
On 5/5/2021 at 10:43 PM, saevel25 said:

Going through the list, and happen to find Sand Valley (25th) and Lawsonia (23rd) 🙂

dunes-scaled.jpg

For the first time our ranking of the best public-access courses ventured outside the United States into Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean. Enjoy!

 

Mammoth Dunes was #29 as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator

Alright, so the MKE group (@DaveP043, @GolfLug, @DeadMan, and myself) have a hotel booked on Thursday night in Oconomowoc and a tee time for The Club at Lac La Belle on Friday morning.

We were talking about playing Lawsonia on Thursday, is that what everyone here is interested in doing? So we’re going to coordinate that with the whole group?

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
12 hours ago, billchao said:

We were talking about playing Lawsonia on Thursday, is that what everyone here is interested in doing? So we’re going to coordinate that with the whole group?

No. Your foursome can do yours. We have a time for our foursome.

Our foursome is all going to be socially exhausted. 😉 So we are avoiding the party foursome you’re in. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
13 hours ago, iacas said:

No. Your foursome can do yours. We have a time for our foursome.

Our foursome is all going to be socially exhausted. 😉 So we are avoiding the party foursome you’re in. 😄

Ok. Done. Can’t wait for this thing!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/19/2021 at 4:45 PM, GolfLug said:

Completely fine. Just joking a bit. Also seems like the ball will get plenty roll. 

Yeah the slope and width of the fairways are nice, and they don't really water it much(or at all) out there which will be to the helping side of things.  

Course Conditions

Firm and Fast

The golf courses at Sand Valley feature fescue grass in our fairways and "rough" hazards and bent grass on our greens. These are types of grass that provide firm and fast playing conditions that mimic the playing conditions at links courses in Scotland and Ireland, where the game began.

Brown is Beautiful

At Sand Valley, you will find tawny brown/green fairways and greens as a reflection of our firm and fast conditions. We believe the faded green turf on our golf courses presents the most enjoyable form of links golf.

What Does this Mean for You?

While every player chooses to play differently, playing on firm and fast playing conditions generally forces the player to use the “ground game” (putters from off the green, bump and runs with a lower iron, etc.) to his or her advantage instead of trying to use lofted wedges to try to control the ball through loft and spin. The firmer playing conditions mean your ball will generally roll out much farther than you might be used to and that it can be harder to pick the ball clean from the fairway.

 

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Ok. Done. Can’t wait for this thing!

Thanks for the help with your group's tee day 4 and 5 tee times.  That is one less thing for me to coordinate.  

As we get closer to this thing we should start a PM group to coordinate some things. I have a few details and things I need to go over as everyone arrives Sunday afternoon/evening.  For example, come hungry.  🙂

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Moderator
1 hour ago, cipher said:

Thanks for the help with your group's tee day 4 and 5 tee times.  That is one less thing for me to coordinate. 

No, thank you for hosting this thing. I’m sure what I’ve done pales in comparison to what you’re doing on your end.

1 hour ago, cipher said:

As we get closer to this thing we should start a PM group to coordinate some things. I have a few details and things I need to go over as everyone arrives Sunday afternoon/evening.

Good idea. Let me know if you need help with anything. I’m more than happy to cook and stuff.

1 hour ago, cipher said:

For example, come hungry.  🙂

I can always eat. Anytime 😃

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

42 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Got my new golf cart! 😁 Ready to go!! 

AB20E1B9-664A-4DE7-BD96-B97CD7A9739B.jpeg

This is what I have been using last 3+ years. Perfectly adequate. Nate said I can rent one from the course since not sure worth it for me to fly it to SV. 

On 5/23/2021 at 2:40 PM, cipher said:

Yeah the slope and width of the fairways are nice, and they don't really water it much(or at all) out there which will be to the helping side of things.  

Course Conditions

Firm and Fast

The golf courses at Sand Valley feature fescue grass in our fairways and "rough" hazards and bent grass on our greens. These are types of grass that provide firm and fast playing conditions that mimic the playing conditions at links courses in Scotland and Ireland, where the game began.

Brown is Beautiful

At Sand Valley, you will find tawny brown/green fairways and greens as a reflection of our firm and fast conditions. We believe the faded green turf on our golf courses presents the most enjoyable form of links golf.

What Does this Mean for You?

While every player chooses to play differently, playing on firm and fast playing conditions generally forces the player to use the “ground game” (putters from off the green, bump and runs with a lower iron, etc.) to his or her advantage instead of trying to use lofted wedges to try to control the ball through loft and spin. The firmer playing conditions mean your ball will generally roll out much farther than you might be used to and that it can be harder to pick the ball clean from the fairway.

 

 

Ima bring my self-regulated speed control putter..😉    

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Nate said I can rent one from the course since not sure worth it for me to fly it to SV. 

I'd consider bringing yours. The added fees will be eaten into by the costs of renting one, and the rentals are almost never usually anywhere near as good as your own personal one.

I'm driving, but I'll have one with possibly even the seat, probably the cooler bag, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Honestly, I would considering just using Fedex. It would be $50-$60 shipping. Airlines will not cover the cost of damage unless they are in a hard container (at least for golf clubs). I believe FedEx has insurance to cover damage. Depending on the airline you would end up paying more than $50. 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd consider bringing yours. The added fees will be eaten into by the costs of renting one, and the rentals are almost never usually anywhere near as good as your own personal one.

I'm driving, but I'll have one with possibly even the seat, probably the cooler bag, etc.

Fair point. While I think I am back close to 95% with my ankle but still gets very sore every night. I had a caddie at Streamsong but saw the push carts they offered that were cast iron structures with giant wheels (apparently they roll better through waste areas. I am assuming SV offers similar carts. So yeah.. good point and I might just do that. I might call SV to find out what they have.

13 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Honestly, I would considering just using Fedex. It would be $50-$60 shipping. Airlines will not cover the cost of damage unless they are in a hard container (at least for golf clubs). I believe FedEx has insurance to cover damage. Depending on the airline you would end up paying more than $50. 

 

Yup, makes sense. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

  • iacas changed the title to TST Takes on Sand Valley, WI (July 18-23, 2021)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Ah, yes, great.  Haven't got to #19 and interpretations in my studies!  Thank you!! Hypothetically, if a player had this situation, and took an unplayable, and then dropped it in the wrong place (i.e. the fairway).  That's DQ yes? I guess it'd have to be, a serious breach, nothing else makes sense. I see it in 14.7b(1).  
    • Day 115 (7/30/21) - 9-hole league tonight. I hit really good drives, but didn't follow-up very well. Generally speaking, my short game was mediocre. Between my tennis elbow acting up and a bad scrape and bruise on my left wrist which I managed to do cleaning the garage today, I've decided to take the week off to heal, so my next entry will be starting over at 1 after league next Friday night.
    • Day 66, July 30, 2021: Played 27 holes today. Still haven’t made many longer putts, maybe I’m saving them for member-guest next week.
    • They are a fun group of guys.  The stories they tell are epic.  
    • 19.2a/2 – Stroke-and-Distance Relief Is Allowed Only at Spot of the Last Stroke The option to take stroke-and-distance relief for an unplayable ball applies only to where the last stroke was made; a player is not allowed to go back to the spot of any earlier strokes made before that. If the stroke-and-distance relief option or the back-on-the-line option are not favourable, the only option is to take lateral relief multiple times, taking a penalty each time, until the player can get a ball into a playable location.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CrappyGolfer
      CrappyGolfer
      (68 years old)
    2. Jacob Vance
      Jacob Vance
      (25 years old)
    3. jax731
      jax731
      (54 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...