IGNORED

Strength and Conditioning's Impact on Golf Performance

MiuraMan
Note: This thread is 1078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 hours ago, GuamAP2 said:

Can you help me find out what these exercises are and how to do them? is there a website? I am 58 yrs old and I realized exercise helps me avoid injury.

Start here on instagram, follow theprehabguys

Heading out to golf, will recommend some additional resources later.

On 3/5/2021 at 1:58 AM, GuamAP2 said:

Anybody have specific exercises to help my game?

The big four: squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead are the foundational building blocks for any good strength program. You can get really strong just focusing on these. 

You can also add in some additional lifts: power cleans and power snatches for some serious explosiveness. Also, pull-ups and rows for some pulling to balance out all the pulling you’re doing. I also strongly recommend EZ bar curls, both in standard bicep curl hold and also flip grip (palms facing down). This is great for golf as it builds up your forearms and the stuff around your elbows. 

You should also do some recovery/flexibility work as well. Incorporate yoga or a good stretch routine, foam rolling, and some reverse hypers. The latter is great for your back; golf and desk jobs can take a toll on your back. 

it looks like a lot, but it’s not bad if you super set and get it done. For instance, my programming (warmup excluded) lately has been:

day 1: superset of overhead for weight and bench for reps. Then P90X stretch video. 

day 2: superset of squat for weight and deadlift for reps. Then super set of reverse hypers, ez bar curls, and pull-ups. 

day 3: superset of bench for weight and overhead for reps. Then P90X stretch video. 

day 4: superset of deadlift for weight and squat for reps. Then superset of reverse hypers, ez bar curls, and pull-ups. 

every now and then I’ll do an additional day or throw in some power cleans or power snatches. Or if I’m toast, I’ll either do nothing or do some extra stretching or yoga. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, ncates00 said:

The big four: squat, deadlift, bench, and overhead are the foundational building blocks for any good strength program. You can get really strong just focusing on these. 

I was focusing on these in early 2020 until gyms closed.  I feel like last Feb/Mar I was getting more swing speed (Note: I was also doing speed sticks).  I finally got around to getting a rack for my garage, and I'm back to doing these three mornings a week.  I hit some really long drives the last two times I played, but it's only been a few weeks, so I can't quite attribute it to these.  

I enjoy these for their own sake, too, but the golf benefit is a key I'm looking for.

And I periodically read through my copy of Starting Strength to review how to do these and why.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I was focusing on these in early 2020 until gyms closed.  I feel like last Feb/Mar I was getting more swing speed (Note: I was also doing speed sticks).  I finally got around to getting a rack for my garage, and I'm back to doing these three mornings a week.  I hit some really long drives the last two times I played, but it's only been a few weeks, so I can't quite attribute it to these.  

I enjoy these for their own sake, too, but the golf benefit is a key I'm looking for.

And I periodically read through my copy of Starting Strength to review how to do these and why.

Nice. I’ve been doing a version of Wendler 531 since fall of 2017. I like it. 

I also own my own garage gym equipment. It’s super convenient. 

11 hours ago, MiuraMan said:

Start here on instagram, follow theprehabguys

Heading out to golf, will recommend some additional resources later.

Okay will follow them

9 hours ago, ncates00 said:

You can also add in some additional lifts: power cleans and power snatches for some serious explosiveness. Also, pull-ups and rows for some pulling to balance out all the pulling you’re doing. I also strongly recommend EZ bar curls, both in standard bicep curl hold and also flip grip (palms facing down). This is great for golf as it builds up your forearms and the stuff around your elbows. 

You should also do some recovery/flexibility work as well. Incorporate yoga or a good stretch routine, foam rolling, and some reverse hypers. The latter is great for your back; golf and desk jobs can take a toll on your back. 

it looks like a lot, but it’s not bad if you super set and get it done. For instance, my programming (warmup excluded) lately has been:

day 1: superset of overhead for weight and bench for reps. Then P90X stretch video. 

day 2: superset of squat for weight and deadlift for reps. Then super set of reverse hypers, ez bar curls, and pull-ups. 

day 3: superset of bench for weight and overhead for reps. Then P90X stretch video. 

day 4: superset of deadlift for weight and squat for reps. Then superset of reverse hypers, ez bar curls, and pull-ups. 

every now and then I’ll do an additional day or throw in some power cleans or power snatches. Or if I’m toast, I’ll either do nothing or do some extra stretching or yoga. 

Interesting, I used to go to the gym 3 times a week and one Yoga Session per week and my aches and pains from having a desk job sitting for more than 8 hours and playing gradually went away but now because of the pandemic I practice more but lost the opportunity to go back to the gym because of the threat of catching COVID 19. I appreciate all your comments but I got no idea what the exercises are called and the only things I have at home are a few barbells, stretch bands and that's it. I have weak joints  and as I exercise or strengthen one joint another weak link will start to hurt like elbows and wrist.

3 hours ago, ncates00 said:

Nice. I’ve been doing a version of Wendler 531 since fall of 2017. I like it. 

I also own my own garage gym equipment. It’s super convenient. 

I do not mind investing in some gym equipment, I have also been paying for a gym membership even to this day and have not gone to a gym for more than a year due to the pandemic....

22 minutes ago, GuamAP2 said:

I do not mind investing in some gym equipment, I have also been paying for a gym membership even to this day and have not gone to a gym for more than a year due to the pandemic....

My gym froze payments when they were shut down due to the pandemic, but once they reopened I cancelled my membership.

It took me forever to find a set of weights at a reasonable price but I have almost everything I need now. Couldn’t be happier. I prefer working out at home without having to compete with other people for equipment, at times that are convenient to my schedule.

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, billchao said:

My gym froze payments when they were shut down due to the pandemic, but once they reopened I cancelled my membership.

It took me forever to find a set of weights at a reasonable price but I have almost everything I need now. Couldn’t be happier. I prefer working out at home without having to compete with other people for equipment, at times that are convenient to my schedule.

could not have said it any better

12 hours ago, billchao said:

I probably should cancel mine.  I got this sweet $20/month in perpetuity (until I cancel, at least) deal for a large chain gym because many years ago, I moved for a job and part of the offer was that the company would pay the sign-up fees for any gym I wanted to join.  Since I had planned to join a gym (since previously I had used school gyms), I went for the highest sign-up fee I could, since it came with the lowest monthly payments (the latter of which I'd be making).

But now that I have what I want out of the gym at home, maybe I should cancel it.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I've thought about cancelling my gym membership and finishing-up my own home gym.  (I already have several items.)  But there's no way I could come even close to replicating what my gym offers in equipment.  Especially that $8,000 Keiser Functional Trainer they have :-*

Plus, being retired, I don't get as much social interaction as I used to.  I've made friends at my gym and even got signed up as a substitute for a golf league one member runs.

That being said: If another strain of the Wu Flu, or something like it, shuts them down again, then I'll probably build my own and call the gym quits.

8 hours ago, GuamAP2 said:

What kind of equipment do we need to have at the bare minimum?

You can do a lot with resistance bands. This trainer has free eBooks you can review.

joey-d-golf-mobile.png

Golf fitness training isn't just about 'working out' for golf. We optimize your body with exercises and workout programs built for you.

I am your age. And while weight training can help a lot, you can also get similar benefits from resistance bands and body weight work. I do squats, but single leg squats. I use the bands to add resistance. I also use them for core work.

This site sells a lot of the resistance band gear.

Explore SKLZ

I did a review of this program below. SKLZ doesn’t sell it anymore, but there are others out there.

https://thesandtrap.com/b/training/sklz_golf_strong_video_program_review

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1078 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!