IGNORED

Sand Trap Superspeedsters - Support and Encouragement Group

iacas

• Administrator
19 minutes ago, JuanTheGolfer said:

Okay I am confused about the protocol and posting.

I posted my average driver speed.

What is Before and After        Med and Max?  Step by Step how is this determined.

Do I do a series of swings with the Blue Stick BEFORE I start the Level 1 Protocol and then after I am done.  How many swings for Med (which I assume means average)?    HELP!!

I added instructions to the first post. Give them a look.

Med is median, which is the middle value, not the average. No math required. 🙂

I usually start with five swings (blue) just to see what I’m up to that day, but the measurements I prefer to take at the end.

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Day 1 done. My numbers were fairly low today, but also in the past month I've only touched my clubs once which was to hit about 40 range balls so as I start swinging more frequently I should get quite a bit quicker.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

• Administrator

https://par4success.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Overspeed-Training-Low-Volume-Protocol-Research-1.pdf

KEY FINDINGS ACROSS BOTH STUDIES

1. You can see the same increases in swing speed swinging one club 6-10% lighter than your driver 30 times as you can swinging 3 clubs almost 100 times.
  2. NO STATISTICAL difference exists on swing speed gains over a 6-8 week period between swinging 3 sticks almost 100 times 2x/wk OR only 1 stick 30 times 2x/wk.
  3. Using a 20% lighter or 5% heavier stick DECREASED golfers swing speed.
  4. It appears respecting the need for glycolytic rest (2-3 min every 10 swings) is beneficial to maximize club speed gains with fewer swings.

Here’s another part:

Most of the studies that I was able to find specifically on swinging looked at about 100 swings 3x/week (baseball). The most popular protocols in the golf world follow a similar volume recommendation. It is a concern, especially with untrained individuals, that adding 300+ maximal swings per week might increase risk for injury due to the incredible increase in load.

Especially for the amatuer golfer who only plays on the weekends and does not engage in a strength and conditioning program, this is a significant volume increase from their baseline.

The Par4Success studies in 2018-19 found no significant difference in swing speed gains between high volume protocols and a lower volume protocol which required only 30 swings, 2x/week but required a 2 minute rest between every 10 swings.
More studies beyond these two need to be done looking at this, but it would be my recommendation, specifically in golf, not to engage in the high volume protocols, as it does not appear to increase speed gains while also increasing load on the athlete significantly. Having utilized this lower volume approach beyond the two randomized studies, we have continued to see similar results.

Take those studies with a grain of salt, as their one study involved 29 golfers in four different groups with 7 disqualifications, and the second study of all sticks and medium sticks included 17 golfers with two disqualifications, so only 8 and 7 golfers.

Also, the gains they experienced were small: 1.6 MPH and 0.7 MPH over eight weeks. They included up to 72 year olds, and in the first study, 13 year olds.

But, perhaps in addition to mixing in Mach 3 stuff, I’ll just focus on the medium speed stick (their 30 swings included 5 kneeling righty/lefty, 5 standing R/L, 5 step-change R/L).

Interesting.

Mach 3, I will point out, also suggests you not work to exhaustion. Sometimes the 90 or whatever swings you make with SuperSpeed can get exhausting.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, iacas said:

https://par4success.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Overspeed-Training-Low-Volume-Protocol-Research-1.pdf

KEY FINDINGS ACROSS BOTH STUDIES

1. You can see the same increases in swing speed swinging one club 6-10% lighter than your driver 30 times as you can swinging 3 clubs almost 100 times.
  2. NO STATISTICAL difference exists on swing speed gains over a 6-8 week period between swinging 3 sticks almost 100 times 2x/wk OR only 1 stick 30 times 2x/wk.
  3. Using a 20% lighter or 5% heavier stick DECREASED golfers swing speed.
  4. It appears respecting the need for glycolytic rest (2-3 min every 10 swings) is beneficial to maximize club speed gains with fewer swings.

Here’s another part:

Most of the studies that I was able to find specifically on swinging looked at about 100 swings 3x/week (baseball). The most popular protocols in the golf world follow a similar volume recommendation. It is a concern, especially with untrained individuals, that adding 300+ maximal swings per week might increase risk for injury due to the incredible increase in load.

Especially for the amatuer golfer who only plays on the weekends and does not engage in a strength and conditioning program, this is a significant volume increase from their baseline.

The Par4Success studies in 2018-19 found no significant difference in swing speed gains between high volume protocols and a lower volume protocol which required only 30 swings, 2x/week but required a 2 minute rest between every 10 swings.
More studies beyond these two need to be done looking at this, but it would be my recommendation, specifically in golf, not to engage in the high volume protocols, as it does not appear to increase speed gains while also increasing load on the athlete significantly. Having utilized this lower volume approach beyond the two randomized studies, we have continued to see similar results.

Take those studies with a grain of salt, as their one study involved 29 golfers in four different groups with 7 disqualifications, and the second study of all sticks and medium sticks included 17 golfers with two disqualifications, so only 8 and 7 golfers.

Also, the gains they experienced were small: 1.6 MPH and 0.7 MPH over eight weeks. They included up to 72 year olds, and in the first study, 13 year olds.

But, perhaps in addition to mixing in Mach 3 stuff, I’ll just focus on the medium speed stick (their 30 swings included 5 kneeling righty/lefty, 5 standing R/L, 5 step-change R/L).

Interesting.

Mach 3, I will point out, also suggests you not work to exhaustion. Sometimes the 90 or whatever swings you make with SuperSpeed can get exhausting.

Curious data, but the study seems incomplete. I do think you need to do other support work including some weights and bands to stabilize the core, shoulders and joints. I have a workout routine for my shoulders and legs that is basically my rehab work from my surgeries. Also, for the red stick, I use a baseball grip to take strain off my thumb. I also don’t kneel. I stand with my feet 6” apart as my knees don’t take well to kneeling.

I’m going to stick to the protocol for now. I still have one week of level 1 left as I started in early December.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Completed the training at lunch today. Although the numbers are exactly the same as average and max for my driver I'm pretty chuffed at some of the others club speeds. I managed to set a PB of 130 with green and 123 with blue during the step drill. Hopefully my end figures will reflect that next time.

Late to the party...knee issues. I am going to try my best to start the protocol tonight. For the initial driver speed, can we use the blue stick for that number or do you want real driver while hitting balls? I read the note, but it said at the end of the session use your driver or blue stick to measure, so I wanted to see if the blue stick was fine for the original measurement as well.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
1 hour ago, TN94z said:

Late to the party...knee issues. I am going to try my best to start the protocol tonight. For the initial driver speed, can we use the blue stick for that number or do you want real driver while hitting balls? I read the note, but it said at the end of the session use your driver or blue stick to measure, so I wanted to see if the blue stick was fine for the original measurement as well.

The original measurement, for your starting point, should really be with a driver hitting a ball. I took a median value for mine.

That’s ultimately what we’re trying to do here, improve actual driver head speed. So in the end that’s what we’d like to measure, too. Not how fast you can swing a stick without regard for any kind of impact or face direction, etc.

Everyone’s had quite awhile to get that number, and if you can’t get it directly, just estimate based on some numbers you knew in October or something?

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

The original measurement, for your starting point, should really be with a driver hitting a ball. I took a median value for mine.

That’s ultimately what we’re trying to do here, improve actual driver head speed. So in the end that’s what we’d like to measure, too. Not how fast you can swing a stick without regard for any kind of impact or face direction, etc.

Everyone’s had quite awhile to get that number, and if you can’t get it directly, just estimate based on some numbers you knew in October or something?

That's what I thought. Agreed. I failed on getting the number in time. I'll look back at some numbers to get the baseline. Thanks

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, TN94z said:

That's what I thought. Agreed. I failed on getting the number in time. I'll look back at some numbers to get the baseline. Thanks

Yeah I wouldn’t over-worry here.

Got my initial speed today on a GC4 launch monitor after my lesson hitting balls. It's the same as my Mevo average, so my starting point hasn't changed.

Usually M/W/F are my superspeed days, but it's raining pretty hard today, so might have to skip today's session.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

Today I did:

• 5 Righty, 5 Lefty Blue Stick
  • 5 Righty Step-Change, 5 Lefty SC, Blue
  • 5 Righty, 5 Lefty with the CW Stick
  • Measured 5 righty with the blue stick at the end: 119 122 123 124 132 (not in that order)

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Today I did:

• 5 Righty, 5 Lefty Blue Stick
  • 5 Righty Step-Change, 5 Lefty SC, Blue
  • 5 Righty, 5 Lefty with the CW Stick
  • Measured 5 righty with the blue stick at the end: 119 122 123 124 132 (not in that order)

What do you think? 
I know the article you posted seemed to imply less is more. What was your impression?
Also, what do you think about the counterweight stick. I just saw that for the first time when I went to the super speed webpage to print out the protocol training page. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I've just been going back to the standard level 1 protocol.

5 right with blue (warmup)

3 to 4 right with green, 3 to 4 left with green

3 to 4 right with blue, 3 to 4 left with blue

3 to 4 right with Red, 3 to 4 right with red 

3 to 4 Step Change right with green, 3 to 4 SC left with green

3 to 4 Step Change right with blue, 3 to 4 SC left with blue

3 to 4 Step Change right with Red, 3 to 4 SC left with red 

5 Left with Blue (data set for spreadsheet): 104, 104, 102, 109, 110

The protocol only calls for 3 swings but I sometimes do 4 because I want to get 3 "good ones" ... don't ask what qualifies as a good one, because I'm not sure. I just feel like they were either good ones or bad ones. 

And btw - I have a time blocked out on my calendar to do the swings on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

57 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I've just been going back to the standard level 1 protocol.

5 right with blue (warmup)

3 to 4 right with green, 3 to 4 left with green

3 to 4 right with blue, 3 to 4 left with blue

3 to 4 right with Red, 3 to 4 right with red 

3 to 4 Step Change right with green, 3 to 4 SC left with green

3 to 4 Step Change right with blue, 3 to 4 SC left with blue

3 to 4 Step Change right with Red, 3 to 4 SC left with red 

5 Left with Blue (data set for spreadsheet): 104, 104, 102, 109, 110

The protocol only calls for 3 swings but I sometimes do 4 because I want to get 3 "good ones" ... don't ask what qualifies as a good one, because I'm not sure. I just feel like they were either good ones or bad ones. 

And btw - I have a time blocked out on my calendar to do the swings on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. 

I’ve been doing level 1 as well. Next week I move to 2. I think Erik is also doing Mach 3, so he’s backing off on the full protocol. 

Today, I did my level 1 after doing my priority piece drills. It was cold and snowing. I got the same median and max for the blue, 96 and 100. My driver was max 96 too.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Got in my superspeed workout today. It's been a couple weeks since I've done it consistently, so I am going to do at least two more weeks of protocol 2, and then move on to protocol 3.

Today's numbers with blue stick: 127, 125, 123, 123, 131

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

What do you think? 
I know the article you posted seemed to imply less is more. What was your impression?
Also, what do you think about the counterweight stick. I just saw that for the first time when I went to the super speed webpage to print out the protocol training page. 

I'm trying a reduced set based on the article I read the other day.