IGNORED

Golf in Hawaii - Big Island Golf

Andy04
Note: This thread is 1256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everybody,  I have just moved to Hilo,Hi. 

Was previously in Houston, where I played twice per week for between 30-60bucks a game.  Never over 100bucks.  Tx has so many options.

Have been transferred to Hilo.  From my experience so far golf in Hawaii is rubbish for normal folk.

One muni is the town.  Complete crap.  6,200 yards of bunkerless time wasting.

Closest ok course is Hamakua.  Around 40miles north.  20bucks all you can play.  The course really reflects its green fee.

Closest decent course is around 70 miles NE, Makani Golf.  Starting at $100 for a course that would cost $30 in TX.  They do a Hawaii Resident rate on Tue and Thu for $49.

I am only going to be here for between 6 to 12 months living in company provided and paid accommodation so doubtful I will ever have proof that I am a "resident".

I thought Hawaii was supposed to be a place for golf. So far its way over my price range and I will go crazy if I cant get out each week.

Anybody played here and have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

8 hours ago, Andy04 said:

Hi everybody,  I have just moved to Hilo,Hi. 

Was previously in Houston, where I played twice per week for between 30-60bucks a game.  Never over 100bucks.  Tx has so many options.

Have been transferred to Hilo.  From my experience so far golf in Hawaii is rubbish for normal folk.

Closest ok course is Hamakua.  Around 40miles north.  20bucks all you can play.  The course really reflects its green fee.

Closest decent course is around 70 miles NE, Makani Golf.  Starting at $100 for a course that would cost $30 in TX.  They do a Hawaii Resident rate on Tue and Thu for $49.

I am only going to be here for between 6 to 12 months living in company provided and paid accommodation so doubtful I will ever have proof that I am a "resident".

I thought Hawaii was supposed to be a place for golf. So far its way over my price range and I will go crazy if I cant get out each week.

Thanks

I think you are on the wrong side of the Big Isle unfortunately. There was a course in Volcano, Volcano Golf & Country Club that we went to the range with the kids,  It may be closed due to volcanic activity though. Beautiful views. That’s not far from you. Maui has the most courses IIRC

I would suggest maybe taking up something else while you are there, paddle boarding, surfing, hiking. Hawaii has so much to explore.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Andy04 said:

A few years ago I had the opportunity to relocate to O'ahu for a 3 year period. I declined for two reasons 1) the cost of living would have meant less money I could sock away for retirement 2) the cost of golf.

The cost of golf is very high, but to add insult to injury it seems that most course have one price for locals and a higher price for us "Haole". My impression is that true Hawaiians take a lot of pride in who they are and look down upon those that may have been there for only a generation or two. I did get to spend a carefree week in Honolulu interviewing prospective subconsultants and eating great food on the company tab.

Suggestions? Do your research before moving 😁 (sorry, had to add that). Maybe you can work out a "cost of golfing" salary adjustment with your employer. If you do work with vendors, subconsultants or strategic partners you could make some friends sponge off of them if your company policies allow that sort of thing.

10 hours ago, Andy04 said:

Tx has so many options.

Texas is one of the largest states, Hawaii is not. 

Surely it's better than not golfing, right?

Closest decent course is around 70 miles NE, Makani Golf.  Starting at $100 for a course that would cost $30 in TX. 

But you aren't in Texas anymore. You're thousands of miles away from Texas on an island in the middle of the ocean. That's silly to expect prices to be similar. Have you looked at the cost of food, groceries, etc? Everything is more expensive in Hawaii. That's a known fact.

It is (from what I've seen and heard) a great place for golf. Not trying to be rude, but it sounds like you have options that you can afford, you just need to lower your expectations. Playing on a bunker less muni for 6-12 months is much better than not playing at all.

• Booooooooo 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

12 hours ago, Andy04 said:

I am only going to be here for between 6 to 12 months

I understand the golf may be more expensive than what you want, and maybe the courses that are in your price range are not as nice as you would expect on the mainland.

But you are in Hawaii. It's a beautiful place with great weather with lots of other stuff to do. Beaches, hiking, fishing. If I were you, I would just settle for sub-par golf for the short time, and enjoy being in Hawaii. Maybe treat yourself to one of the further/nicer courses periodically. Maybe take weekend trips to some of the other islands when you get a chance and explore them too.

• Thumbs Up 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

22 hours ago, boogielicious said:

I think you are on the wrong side of the Big Isle unfortunately. There was a course in Volcano, Volcano Golf & Country Club that we went to the range with the kids,  It may be closed due to volcanic activity though. Beautiful views. That’s not far from you. Maui has the most courses IIRC

I would suggest maybe taking up something else while you are there, paddle boarding, surfing, hiking. Hawaii has so much to explore.

Thanks.  I will go up and have a look at the volcano areas tomorrow.  If no luck, shall go and buy some hiking gear.

21 hours ago, Carl3 said:

A few years ago I had the opportunity to relocate to O'ahu for a 3 year period. I declined for two reasons 1) the cost of living would have meant less money I could sock away for retirement 2) the cost of golf.

The cost of golf is very high, but to add insult to injury it seems that most course have one price for locals and a higher price for us "Haole". My impression is that true Hawaiians take a lot of pride in who they are and look down upon those that may have been there for only a generation or two. I did get to spend a carefree week in Honolulu interviewing prospective subconsultants and eating great food on the company tab.

Suggestions? Do your research before moving 😁 (sorry, had to add that). Maybe you can work out a "cost of golfing" salary adjustment with your employer. If you do work with vendors, subconsultants or strategic partners you could make some friends sponge off of them if your company policies allow that sort of thing.

You are right and I should have done my research before heading here.  Thank you for the ideas regarding consultants and vendors.

You'll have to go to the Kona side of the Big Island to find better golf, such as the Kona Country Club (only 1 course reopened instead of the two that were there), Makalei (a very steep side of the hill, with huge elevation changes, not everyone's cup of tea, but fun once in a while), Makani, as you found out, or go towards the Kohala resorts (Mauna Lani North and South, Mauna Kea, Hapuna, Waikoloa Beach or Waikoloa Kings courses, and also Waikoloa Village up on the hill by Waikoloa Rd). Sure those can set you back a lot more than $100 (try $300 at Mauna Kea!), but there are deals to be had here and there...  Of find a golf buddy that has access to a number of private courses on the island. 😉  [Hint: you probably won't find that while playing the Hilo muni...] 

FWIW, the Volcano Golf Course is still closed, after a fire destroyed the club house and the operator of the course let it go. The owners (Kamehameha schools, i.e. native hawaiians) are trying to find another company to run it, though. 

web1_Volcano-golf-fire-11-14-19_WEB.jpg

<p>The Volcano Golf Course and Country Club has permanently closed, leaving the future of a beloved Big Island destination in doubt.</p>

• Thumbs Up 2

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I saw the volcano course over the weekend.  What a crazy location to build a golf course.

It seems to be maintained, so hopefully the school has found another company to run it as it would be a very good option to have 30 or so miles away.

Agreed with your comment about the golfers at Hilo muni.  Seems like a suitable place to play if I ever need to find a weed dealer

Will head up to the other side of the big island this week to see what deals can be had

On 11/22/2020 at 5:34 AM, sjduffers said:

You'll have to go to the Kona side of the Big Island to find better golf, such as the Kona Country Club (only 1 course reopened instead of the two that were there), Makalei (a very steep side of the hill, with huge elevation changes, not everyone's cup of tea, but fun once in a while), Makani, as you found out, or go towards the Kohala resorts (Mauna Lani North and South, Mauna Kea, Hapuna, Waikoloa Beach or Waikoloa Kings courses, and also Waikoloa Village up on the hill by Waikoloa Rd). Sure those can set you back a lot more than $100 (try $300 at Mauna Kea!), but there are deals to be had here and there...  Of find a golf buddy that has access to a number of private courses on the island. 😉  [Hint: you probably won't find that while playing the Hilo muni...] 

FWIW, the Volcano Golf Course is still closed, after a fire destroyed the club house and the operator of the course let it go. The owners (Kamehameha schools, i.e. native hawaiians) are trying to find another company to run it, though. 

web1_Volcano-golf-fire-11-14-19_WEB.jpg

<p>The Volcano Golf Course and Country Club has permanently closed, leaving the future of a beloved Big Island destination in doubt.</p>

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Andy04 said:

I saw the volcano course over the weekend.  What a crazy location to build a golf course.

It seems to be maintained, so hopefully the school has found another company to run it as it would be a very good option to have 30 or so miles away

And still, you missed the big event, when Kilauea erupted in May 2018.  Check this out, for an eye opener! 😉  I was on the island when it happened (and also when the crazy nuclear holocaust warning/alarm was sent, but that's another story...)

GCLogo.png

An erupting volcano is a serious hazard, but it's reasonable to assume these guys only want to know if said hazard is lateral.

• Thumbs Up 1

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

14 hours ago, sjduffers said:

And still, you missed the big event, when Kilauea erupted in May 2018.  Check this out, for an eye opener! 😉  I was on the island when it happened (and also when the crazy nuclear holocaust warning/alarm was sent, but that's another story...)

GCLogo.png

An erupting volcano is a serious hazard, but it's reasonable to assume these guys only want to know if said hazard is lateral.

It is pretty close to the crater. Luckily the trade winds blew the plume away from the course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

OK guess I’ve been golfing for free over here on Lana’i to much to find this question. So, you can get a state ID, not worth changing license over, and yes there is a fairly significant green fee difference. Big Isle and especially north and south of Hilo has some odd characters, I mean who builds on an active volcano? 
There is decent mtn biking north, full moon Mana rd is pretty cool and the local bike crowd is very welcoming, hiking, my favorite is to the summit of Mauna Loa from 6k ft, and for golf you gotta learn to love Saddle rd, it’s the gateway to golf. 
Maybe bring a tent, drive over Friday night, camp get a morning tee time, camp sat night get an early round Sunday and then back home to Hilo.

courses that get decent Kamaaina green fees, Makalei, Kona CC, Mauna Lani, Mauna Kea, Waikaloa and many more. They all will not have a special but get on email lists then during the week you get an email and book it. There are so many beautiful courses north of Kona. 
well I hope that helped some, I love living here and have visited the BI more times than I can remember.

Aloha,

iSank

• Thumbs Up 1

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.

Note: This thread is 1256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!