IGNORED

Tiger's Incredible Run: What's Standing Out in His Game?

r7 425
Note: This thread is 5895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I WOULD HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH THAT=....Jack Nicklaus beats him hands down with Tom Watson not far behind. ..Tiger is a fantastic player....but 'Tiger, Tiger ,.........(and so on)'-is just a bit boring.

Jack has holed more clutch putts than Tiger i would say so far.

Really he has more clutch putts? The only clutch putt i remember is the one at Augusta where jack had a 5 footer and the announcer said "Yes Sir"

Tiger is only 31 and has more highlight material in his career NOW than most people have had in their careers. Tiger also brings the biggest putts when he needs them the most. Thats why hes the best ever

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

I still disagree-Jack in his prime was like a piece of granite.

...and Tiger is just reaching his prime...and is on pace to shatter nearly every record that has been set.

To me, the most underappreciated aspect of Tiger's game is his putting. IMHO, he's a better putter than Jack ever was. Of course, we're getting off-topic. There's a separate thread for this banter.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Really he has more clutch putts? The only clutch putt i remember is the one at Augusta where jack had a 5 footer and the announcer said "Yes Sir"

Uh, that putt was 15+ feet.

And you don't remember any of Jack's putts because you weren't even alive when he made any of them. Tiger is an exceptionally great putter. Perhaps the best of all time. Not only does he putt consistently and well throughout the tournaments, but he almost always makes the putts when he has to. Unless he's playing Nick O'Hern.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

tiger is just plain lucky! every time he goes out to play, he just gets lucky and wins

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

Hi,

His will and mental toughness.

That Answers your question brilliantly. Tiger is the worlds best golfer because he has the worlds best golfing mind its as simple as that. Whats interesting to me though, is that many people know that fact, but yet dont do any kind of golf psychology course or anything themselves which seriously limits there game. Tiger is able to step up and hit big shots, it seems every time because, ofcourse of the enormous amounts of practice, but more importantly because of his mental approach. Good Question

Whats interesting to me though, is that many people know that fact, but yet dont do any kind of golf psychology course or anything themselves which seriously limits there game.

not true really, most pga pros have some some type of performance coach or system in their back pocket

i do think though that pro's have to start upping the ante' and start investigating things like scientology to improve their mental game. look what its done for tom cruise

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

• Administrator
not true really, most pga pros have some some type of performance coach or system in their back pocket

I think it was clear he was talking about most golfers, not most PGA Tour golfers.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

in the newest golf channel article about tiger, this was written:

Woods was just starting college in 1994, a skinny teenager who had fallen behind in the championship match of the U.S. Amateur, when his father whispered in his ear, “Let the legend grow.” Woods birdied three straight holes to win.

I wonder if it is true...

obviously, im talking about what his dad said. I think the positive reinforcement that his father gave him has blocked out all negative thoughts. he knows he is the best. if someone young comes up and challenges him (sergio, scott, all the others) he will beat them because he knows he is better.

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

So 51 out of 52 putts at bay hill within 7 feet doesnt make you an elite putter. Hes made more clutch 4 foot putts than anybody in the history of the game

Slow down the greens. Let's see how he does then...

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I think it was clear he was talking about most golfers, not most PGA Tour golfers.

sorry, my mistake, i assumed we were talking about pga tour golfers' struggles on competing with tiger and what separates him from the pack and not the usual golfer who struggles just to get the ball flying in the approximate direction of intent

It looks spectacular, but he's doing it by such a simple strategy: hitting into the middle of the greens down the stretch.

To win tournaments all you need is good solid golf. It's not like Woods is hitting shots that the other players can't hit, but he has the mental awareness and discipline to hit those shots under pressure.
I think that's where he's at a huge advantage - he's in the winning situation every week and its become normal.

When other guys do get that chance to win, sometimes they feel like they have to take on a shot at the wrong time. Woods has that advantage of if he doesn't win this week he's going to win next week so maybe it's a lot easier to be patient under pressure.
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

i dont believe tiger thinks about the "next week" unless its a major, if even that.. I still beleive he thinks he can win a tournement 9 back with 9 to play....

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

Scrambling. His driving is horrible yet he's number 1 in GIR. I wonder how long it is before he gets a Sumo 5900.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

• Administrator
It seems that Tiger is too strong mentally to ever be defeated. He pretty much thrives under pressure.

He'll probably lose the WGC this week.

Note: This thread is 5895 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!